The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to stream while listening to a cue track while playing...
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

How to stream while listening to a cue track while playing...

Dear fellow gearslutz,

Because of the current health situation I'm having stream my recital and one of my pieces is a concerto for guitar and orchestra. I'm currently making a minus guitar orchestral accompaniment track. My question is: is it possible to play along with a track where I feed a track with cues to my headphones while the accompaniment track that is heard while I play is one without the cues?

Do I need two computers one for streaming the audio and video and one to play both tracks into the mixer where I route the one with cues to my headphones? Is it possible to perform the task with just one computer and daw that also does the streaming? Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old 15th September 2020
Here for the gear

Anybody??? I know it has to be possible.
Old 15th September 2020
Lives for gear

It is hard to answer your question if you don't say a word about the gear you're using.
If I get it right, it is certainly an easy task. You just need a monitor mix different from the main mix and you can choose for each track if you want to monitor it or not and if you want to send it to the main-mix or not.
Old 18th September 2020
Lives for gear

There are a lot of variables here.

First off... does your streaming software allow you to mix audio from software with your video signal?

If not, you'll need a physical loopback, requiring two outputs and two inputs on your interface.

If so, your DAW will mix guitar and non-cue backing track, to feed audio to the streaming software.

Next up... you have to hear guitar, and cued backing track, with low enough latency to play well. That takes an audio interface with at least one input, for guitar, and low latency, or external foldback, and another virtual stereo output, plus physical stereo output, to feed your headphones.

Next up, you need enough processing horsepower to mix guitar and cued audio, plus to output non-cued audio, plus to ingest the video stream, pkus to mix audio and video, plus to process and upload the stream, and finally you need a fat enough network pipe to reliably carry the stream.

Plus a failover pipe for a second end-to-end stream if you want to be really sure.

All of these requirements inter-relate... processing load affects latency, which affects how much delay you program into the stream software, which affects stream software processing load, which brings us back to latency.... which... etc.

Live streaming from a phone can be a one button endeavor.

What you're talking about is more complex.

The questions you've asked here don't give me the impression you're a seasoned live-streaming pro...but what you're attempting to do may very well require that level of expertise to pull off.

I hope I've given you enough info here to... get started, and I wish you luck with your recital.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear