The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Technical Question on using an External Audio Input with an iPhone
Old 13th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Technical Question on using an External Audio Input with an iPhone

I realize that the Lightning Cable for the iphone 7 has a DAC in it.

If I'm using an external mic or a mixer (with adapters) to record Audio while filming Video does that audio input go through the DAC in the Lightning Cable when Recording?

If so can I use something like a Dragonfly DAC to bump up the quality going in and coming out?

Thanks !!
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

Perhaps another question would be:

Does using an external mic with a built in ADC, like the Zoom iQ7 or similar device, bypass the ADC in the Lightning Cable? Or do they just run in Series with each other?
Old 14th August 2020
Gear Maniac

For those interested I contacted Audio Quest and Zoom.

The Dragonfly is a DAC with no ADC so you can't use it to record. They recommend using the Apple USB 3 to Lightning Camera Adapter.

Zoom says the iQ7 has it's own A/D conversion and it bypasses the iPhone A/D conversion.

This means I should be able to connect a small Focusrite, or other, digital interface to the Apple adapter mentioned above, use a small USB charger, and connect a mixer to the digital interface while filming with an iPhone.
Old 19th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
For those interested I contacted Audio Quest and Zoom.

The Dragonfly is a DAC with no ADC so you can't use it to record. They recommend using the Apple USB 3 to Lightning Camera Adapter.

Zoom says the iQ7 has it's own A/D conversion and it bypasses the iPhone A/D conversion.

This means I should be able to connect a small Focusrite, or other, digital interface to the Apple adapter mentioned above, use a small USB charger, and connect a mixer to the digital interface while filming with an iPhone.
Yes.
Just make shure the interface has its own power and runs on native drivers (most do).
Think about using an app like MoviePro instead of the camera app. It shows the used device and the audio levels and allows monitoring.
Old 19th August 2020
Gear Head

May not fit your application, but if you would actually record with Quicktime on a Mac, you can grab the video and audio source independently. Video could come in from a connected iPhone and sound from an ADC.
📝 Reply