The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
EQ for SM7b Female VO
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

EQ for SM7b Female VO

Hey guys,

I having a bit of a nightmare trying to get an SM7b to sound good in my mix for a radio show.

Its gone through the cloudlifter on the way in so it's sounding nice and sweet and all that but its sooo warm I just don't know how to approach it compared to the condensors I've worked with before!

Could anyone help me out with a starting setting? Or a particular EQ plugin that pairs up with it?

Cheers
Old 6th August 2020
Gear Head

What have you set the response switches to on the mic? Your descriptions are a bit fuzzy ; "Warm" and "sweet" are very broad. I would suggest setting the bass tilt switch to roll off and the Presence switch to 'rise', for starters. That mic certainly does not need much (if any) EQ to give good results on a human voice.
Old 7th August 2020
Lives for gear

Try lifting 5-7dBs somewhere between 5-15khz, where it sounds best depending on voice. After that compress 3-5dBs or bit more. If you don't like the results, change the distance or mic.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Giving specific EQ advice without hearing the voice is, well... interesting?
Maybe that’s the poster’s generic recipe for the SM7b on any voice, but if the poster thinks that makes the SM7b sound like a condenser, there must be some magical EQ being used.
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear
Have you taken off the plate in the back and messed with the mic settings?
Old 8th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
Giving specific EQ advice without hearing the voice is, well... interesting?
Maybe that’s the poster’s generic recipe for the SM7b on any voice, but if the poster thinks that makes the SM7b sound like a condenser, there must be some magical EQ being used.
Tons of posts around here advise similar for SM7b, especially for people like OP of this thread who doesn't know where to start. SM7b is dark mic so nothing surprising in suggesting lifting hi freqs and compressing. After that it should sound usable but if it's still far off desired - different distance or mic is pretty reasonable solution I think.
Old 9th August 2020
Gear Guru

I'm going to assume that at least some of this is about intelligibility. The two things that can make one voice more intelligible (and more cool-sounding) than another are texture (grit) and harmonics. When a voice has both of those, dynamic mics can sound great. When the voice has neither, a dynamic mic may not sound so great. Female voices quite often have neither.
Old 10th August 2020
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
...Female voices quite often have neither.
Get one mad and she will!
Old 11th August 2020
Lives for gear

probably too much bass. try a gentle bass rolloff (known as a high-pass filter).
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Don't be afraid to remove low-mids alongside the proximity effect bass, and to add some >10kHz if required.

The SM7 is a warm mic and not really designed for the "breathy" tones a lot of people like. It's just not the tool for the job if that's what you're looking for.
However, if you're cool with a warmer sound, it's a non-fatiguing, pleasant "radio" sound, which is the point of the mic.
📝 Reply