The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Microphone for Home VideoDialog
Old 27th May 2020
Here for the gear

Microphone for Home VideoDialog

Hello All!

I am planning to try and shoot a video with my iphone 6s set up on a tripod at my home and am running into trouble trying to figure out how to get the best results for my budget. Due to the phone lenses limitations, I will be shooting dialog between 4-6 feet away so booming the mic overhead will be required.

I have background noise from the street and possibly air conditioning so I am looking at small-diaphragm Hypercardioid Condensers due to the sound environment as well. My dilemma is that I am not sure that a Rode VIDEOMIC Directional On-Camera Microphone used from a boom will be very good due to the way its powered and converted all in the same package as the mic. I would imagine a pre/converter such as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface with a proper Phantom powered microphone probably has it's advantages for about the same money but when looking at what's available for small-diaphragm Hypercardioid Condensers, its very slim pickings till you start spending over $500 except for the only other mic I found in my budget (Sterling Audio ST131).

I have to believe there is a good reason for the wide gap in what's available in this microphone category and that the community probably already figured out my dilemma but can't find anything specific to this in the forums. I appreciate your insight in advance!

Anthony
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi Anthony,

My fiancee does social media for a large tourist attraction and they/she really rate the Rode Videomic, although I've never used it. To be fair, whenever I have to do anything on a phone I use a Β£15 amazon special lavalier mic that works just fine for speech. I'd imagine having a closer pickup would be better for noise reduction, it's also going to help with room reflections as I imagine that the room isn't treated.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony4Audio View Post
Hello All!

I am planning to try and shoot a video with my iphone 6s set up on a tripod at my home and am running into trouble trying to figure out how to get the best results for my budget. Due to the phone lenses limitations, I will be shooting dialog between 4-6 feet away so booming the mic overhead will be required.

I have background noise from the street and possibly air conditioning so I am looking at small-diaphragm Hypercardioid Condensers due to the sound environment as well. My dilemma is that I am not sure that a Rode VIDEOMIC Directional On-Camera Microphone used from a boom will be very good due to the way its powered and converted all in the same package as the mic. I would imagine a pre/converter such as a Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface with a proper Phantom powered microphone probably has it's advantages for about the same money but when looking at what's available for small-diaphragm Hypercardioid Condensers, its very slim pickings till you start spending over $500 except for the only other mic I found in my budget (Sterling Audio ST131).

I have to believe there is a good reason for the wide gap in what's available in this microphone category and that the community probably already figured out my dilemma but can't find anything specific to this in the forums. I appreciate your insight in advance!

Anthony
What user 4114 said. Background noise and air conditioning seem to ask for a Lavalier mic. Maybe not one for 15,- from Amazon.

I don't know, what you call "very slim pickings till you start spending over $500" :-)

https://www.thomann.de/gb/small_diap...l?ls=25&oa=pra
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Addict

I own this wonderful and affordable Audio-Technica boom mic, the AT8035, and quite like it. I think it gets very nice, detailed, balanced sound. I'd recommend giving it a try if you can!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear