The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble with Setup - UMC22, SM58 w/ Fethead
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Trouble with Setup - UMC22, SM58 w/ Fethead

Hello All!

I hope I can figure out my issue as I have been struggling with my mic output for some time.

I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface with a Shure SM58 mic for podcasting and gaming (The Living Force if anyone is interested in Star Wars EU). My mic volume is low and the people listening have a hard time hearing unless I am practically eating the microphone. My gain is all the way up and through nights of research concluded that the UMC22 does not have enough gain to all the Shure SM58 to work like it should.

SO, I purchased a Fethead (the original, not the Phantom) and connected it to my SM58. I do not receive any signal or audio after connecting the Fethead to the mic. I tried with both the phantom power turned on and turned off. I removed the Fethead and I can record with the quiet levels again, but I cannot get the mic to work with the Fethead which would boost my gain and hopefully solve my issue.

Is my interface total garbage? Is the Fethead bad? I would very much appreciate anyone's help as I am new to the audiophile world and I see that it is quite vast.
Old 2 days ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossWes View Post
Hello All!

I hope I can figure out my issue as I have been struggling with my mic output for some time.

I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface with a Shure SM58 mic for podcasting and gaming (The Living Force if anyone is interested in Star Wars EU). My mic volume is low and the people listening have a hard time hearing unless I am practically eating the microphone. My gain is all the way up and through nights of research concluded that the UMC22 does not have enough gain to all the Shure SM58 to work like it should.

SO, I purchased a Fethead (the original, not the Phantom) and connected it to my SM58. I do not receive any signal or audio after connecting the Fethead to the mic. I tried with both the phantom power turned on and turned off. I removed the Fethead and I can record with the quiet levels again, but I cannot get the mic to work with the Fethead which would boost my gain and hopefully solve my issue.

Is my interface total garbage? Is the Fethead bad? I would very much appreciate anyone's help as I am new to the audiophile world and I see that it is quite vast.
Is it possible you're using a laptop and actually recording with the laptop mic with the volume down? Or that you're not really using the interface in some other way?

Can you walk us through the software you're using? Mac/PC? How do you have everything hooked up? Explain your process like I'm 5
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

I'm using a PC, newly built. I have the Behringer drivers installed and checking my voice levels through audacity and my Sound Settings.

I have the UMC22 interface connected to my PC through USB 2.0. Then the XLR cable is connected to the interface and the other end to the Fethead. I have the Fethead connected to the Shure SM58.

I can see my voice levels in audacity when I remove the Fethead but then I get complete silence when adding the Fethead.
Old 1 day ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossWes View Post
I'm using a PC, newly built. I have the Behringer drivers installed and checking my voice levels through audacity and my Sound Settings.

I have the UMC22 interface connected to my PC through USB 2.0. Then the XLR cable is connected to the interface and the other end to the Fethead. I have the Fethead connected to the Shure SM58.

I can see my voice levels in audacity when I remove the Fethead but then I get complete silence when adding the Fethead.
The Fethead requires phantom power to operate. Do you have the switch on the back of the UMC turned to +48? It needs to be on
Old 10 hours ago
Here for the gear

Yes, I have the +48 switched to on. That's why I am so confused.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search