The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Trouble with Setup - UMC22, SM58 w/ Fethead
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

Trouble with Setup - UMC22, SM58 w/ Fethead

Hello All!

I hope I can figure out my issue as I have been struggling with my mic output for some time.

I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface with a Shure SM58 mic for podcasting and gaming (The Living Force if anyone is interested in Star Wars EU). My mic volume is low and the people listening have a hard time hearing unless I am practically eating the microphone. My gain is all the way up and through nights of research concluded that the UMC22 does not have enough gain to all the Shure SM58 to work like it should.

SO, I purchased a Fethead (the original, not the Phantom) and connected it to my SM58. I do not receive any signal or audio after connecting the Fethead to the mic. I tried with both the phantom power turned on and turned off. I removed the Fethead and I can record with the quiet levels again, but I cannot get the mic to work with the Fethead which would boost my gain and hopefully solve my issue.

Is my interface total garbage? Is the Fethead bad? I would very much appreciate anyone's help as I am new to the audiophile world and I see that it is quite vast.
Old 22nd May 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossWes View Post
Hello All!

I hope I can figure out my issue as I have been struggling with my mic output for some time.

I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface with a Shure SM58 mic for podcasting and gaming (The Living Force if anyone is interested in Star Wars EU). My mic volume is low and the people listening have a hard time hearing unless I am practically eating the microphone. My gain is all the way up and through nights of research concluded that the UMC22 does not have enough gain to all the Shure SM58 to work like it should.

SO, I purchased a Fethead (the original, not the Phantom) and connected it to my SM58. I do not receive any signal or audio after connecting the Fethead to the mic. I tried with both the phantom power turned on and turned off. I removed the Fethead and I can record with the quiet levels again, but I cannot get the mic to work with the Fethead which would boost my gain and hopefully solve my issue.

Is my interface total garbage? Is the Fethead bad? I would very much appreciate anyone's help as I am new to the audiophile world and I see that it is quite vast.
Is it possible you're using a laptop and actually recording with the laptop mic with the volume down? Or that you're not really using the interface in some other way?

Can you walk us through the software you're using? Mac/PC? How do you have everything hooked up? Explain your process like I'm 5
Old 22nd May 2020
Here for the gear

I'm using a PC, newly built. I have the Behringer drivers installed and checking my voice levels through audacity and my Sound Settings.

I have the UMC22 interface connected to my PC through USB 2.0. Then the XLR cable is connected to the interface and the other end to the Fethead. I have the Fethead connected to the Shure SM58.

I can see my voice levels in audacity when I remove the Fethead but then I get complete silence when adding the Fethead.
Old 23rd May 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I'm using a PC, newly built. I have the Behringer drivers installed and checking my voice levels through audacity and my Sound Settings.

I have the UMC22 interface connected to my PC through USB 2.0. Then the XLR cable is connected to the interface and the other end to the Fethead. I have the Fethead connected to the Shure SM58.

I can see my voice levels in audacity when I remove the Fethead but then I get complete silence when adding the Fethead.
The Fethead requires phantom power to operate. Do you have the switch on the back of the UMC turned to +48? It needs to be on
Old 24th May 2020
Here for the gear

Yes, I have the +48 switched to on. That's why I am so confused.
Old 26th May 2020
Here for the gear

Just to update, I've seen similar posts from customers of Kellards receiving Fethead's that were either not working, defective, or used. I am returning my Fethead and will try the Cloudlifter CL-1. If I end up with the same scenario, I will look at upgrading my audio interface.
Old 30th May 2020
Here for the gear

I received the Cloudlifter today and I am experiencing the same issue with not receiving a signal after installing the device. The phantom power is turned on the UMC22 but it does not seem to be powering the Cloudlifter. My next move will be to purchase a new audio interface since I have tested both the Fethead and the Cloudlifter with the same UMC22 interface with no luck.
Old 1st June 2020 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I received the Cloudlifter today and I am experiencing the same issue with not receiving a signal after installing the device. The phantom power is turned on the UMC22 but it does not seem to be powering the Cloudlifter. My next move will be to purchase a new audio interface since I have tested both the Fethead and the Cloudlifter with the same UMC22 interface with no luck.
What a pain. You'll get there soon!
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Good Evening All,

I wanted to comeback and share my solution to this issue with the UMC22, the Cloudlifter/Fethead, and the SM58 mic. After receiving a message back from the Cloudlifter folks, it appears my issue was with the XLR cable all along. This is a relief but a frustrating one at that.

For reference and transparency, I am new to the audiophile world and purchased an SM58 mic with a cheap Behringer UMC22 audio interface to use for podcasting and streaming/gaming without a headset. The Behringer UMC22 comes with a TRS to XLR cable. Using the cable provided by Behringer will make the feedback/sound output very quiet thus the "need" to boost the gain with a Cloudlifter/Fethead.

Apparently, this is the wrong cable to use. An XLR to XLR cable is the correct cable and provides adequate gain for the SM58 without the use of a Fethead or Cloudlifter. However, I want to be able to boost the gain and have quality sound with the mic about a fist away from my face. I will keep the Cloudlifter and ultimately still upgrade my audio interface in the future.

Solution: Behringer UMC22 audio interface - XLR male to XLR female - Cloudlifter - XLR male to XLR female - SM 58 mic. Do not use the TRS end to connect to the audio interface that is provided by Behringer; it must be XLR to XLR in order to receive adequate sound AND to use Phantom power from the interface. This may be audiophile 101 but I hope to have saved some people some time and anguish since I am new to the game as well.

Thank you PTbreaker for trying to help along the way.
Old 2nd June 2020
Lives for gear
For future reference, you are describing your chain backwards. Always start with the source.
Interesting problem.
You were double-whammied by that cable. Plugging the 1/4” connector into the Behringer automatically selects the line circuit, which has much less gain than the mic preamp circuit. AND the line circuit does not provide phantom power, no matter whether phantom is switched on or not. No phantom equals no Cloudlifter or Fethead. So you were missing a total of about 50 db of gain.
Old 2nd June 2020
Here for the gear

Valuable info, learning little by little as I go along. Thank you very much.
Old 2nd June 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Valuable info, learning little by little as I go along. Thank you very much.
You will always be learning, we all are. (Except for a few egomaniacs who think they already know everything).

You have some good basic gear. The SM58 is a budget classic. Behringer is a name that gets a lot of disrespect here, but don’t disrespect the interface you have. It is an excellent value for the money, and won’t compromise your audio work. You don’t need a scalpel to cut cheese. Most audio is like making a good sandwich, it is not heart surgery. Have fun!
📝 Reply