The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
All you slutz - let's see your transport..... Consoles
Old 26th September 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
4 wheeling all the way

full body armor undercarriage bumpers rockers... front and rear ARB air lockers.. snorkel..warn winch..regeared ..ford turbo thunderbird read disks...rhino lined complete interior..tuffy security boxes ... 5k dollar stereo alpine head unit USA amps two 12 band eq's on front one rear.. 2 coax boston acoustics overhead 6.5's two 5 inch BA ..2 one inch domes and a kicker 10 inch sub all in rhino lined and waterproofed enclosures... plasma cut front fenders [garage pic other one was before that] cj turn lights ...custom interior light boxes made from ammo cans.. rear deck and shovel. fire extinguisher and saftey devices storage ..etc etc

dbl cv custom cut rear drive shaft.. 3.5 inch teraflex lift ..1 inch body puck lift ..with currie HD tie rods .quick front stabilizer disconnect.. 35 inch kelvar side 12.5 off road tire.. corbeau off road suspension seats
It's a good thing you have all the extras so it can withstand the punishing terrain.
Old 26th September 2017
Lives for gear

octatonic - Beautiful looking property you have there

I'm still driving my 2009 ford Fusion SEL AWD (except right now its just 2wd) with a nice 12" Crack in the windshield. Funds are tight but want to get it back to AWD before the snow hits...then windshield...then brakes. But hey, haven't had a car payment in over a year!

Dayum some nice cars in here
Old 6th October 2017
Lives for gear

2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6. CarPlay is awesome.
Attached Thumbnails
All you slutz - let's see your transport.....-2017-colorado-z71.jpg  
Old 8th October 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaMusic View Post
2017 Chevy Colorado Z71 V6. CarPlay is awesome.
Every house should have a truck.
Old 8th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Guru View Post
Every house should have a truck.
Indeed. I don`t know how people do without..oh yeah, call ME!
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
4 wheeling all the way

full body armor undercarriage bumpers rockers... front and rear ARB air lockers.. snorkel..warn winch..regeared ..ford turbo thunderbird read disks...rhino lined complete interior..tuffy security boxes ... 5k dollar stereo alpine head unit USA amps two 12 band eq's on front one rear.. 2 coax boston acoustics overhead 6.5's two 5 inch BA ..2 one inch domes and a kicker 10 inch sub all in rhino lined and waterproofed enclosures... plasma cut front fenders [garage pic other one was before that] cj turn lights ...custom interior light boxes made from ammo cans.. rear deck and shovel. fire extinguisher and saftey devices storage ..etc etc

dbl cv custom cut rear drive shaft.. 3.5 inch teraflex lift ..1 inch body puck lift ..with currie HD tie rods .quick front stabilizer disconnect.. 35 inch kelvar side 12.5 off road tire.. corbeau off road suspension seats
This looks like a lot of fun!

Quote:
quick front stabilizer disconnect
Trying to understand this - so the vehicle has stabilizer bars (sway bars) that you can quickly disconnect to get more free wheel travel for scenarios like the pic you posted. Very cool!

Once had a friend who had an old Toyota Land Cruiser FJ he fixed up. I think he had Ford 9" axles in it pus a bunch of cool stuff. He had these tube running bars on the sided that doubled as air tanks so when he deflated the tires for extra traction he could re-inflate them quickly. He converted the pump from an old automobile AC unit to pressurize the tanks on the go.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

White 2004 Astro Cargo Van.
Old 9th October 2017
Lives for gear

Here's mine.
Attached Thumbnails
All you slutz - let's see your transport.....-new_york_city_subway_interior.jpg  
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

We like Red mini's
2016 John Cooper Works Countryman

2007 Cooper 2009 Clubman S
Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

I commute in this thing from SFO to Las Vegas

Old 28th December 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I commute in this thing from SFO to Las Vegas
Looks fast
You must use the Premium pump at the gas station ?
Old 1st January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ah I see you also also keep archaic forms of transport, two bay poop powered 4 hoof drive equines.

Old 2nd January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
Ah I see you also also keep archaic forms of transport, two bay poop powered 4 hoof drive equines.

Yeppers soon as you move beyond the far fence line (Hidden by the trees) it's either that or on foot
Old 8th January 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Jazz View Post
Here's mine.
* sigh *

Wish we had those where I live.
Old 27th January 2018
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
We like Red mini's
2016 John Cooper Works Countryman

WY? Those aspens look bent from the wind...

I thought the official *mini* of WY was a skid-steer.
Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
WY? Those aspens look bent from the wind...

I thought the official *mini* of WY was a skid-steer.
Ha! the bent one is actually a Cottenwood ,besides the wind doesn't blow in Wy., Co just sucks

Na skid steer is too limited, the little woman prefers a NewHolland

Old 27th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Ha! the bent one is actually a Cottenwood ,besides the wind doesn't blow in Wy., Co just sucks

CO doesn't suck, we just have low pressure, so all your air wants to come here (along with all your youth!)....plus everything is *greener*.
Old 22nd February 2018
Lives for gear

Just bought a new car.

I've wanted a Porsche since Jr. High School. Finally its here (at age 55).

Brand new 2018 718 Cayman GTS.
The car exceeds my expectations every time I drive it.

All you slutz - let's see your transport.....-2018-02-22-06.45.29.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
All you slutz - let's see your transport.....-2018-02-22-06.45.29.jpg   All you slutz - let's see your transport.....-2018-02-22-06.45.47.jpg  
Old 23rd February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Just bought a new car.

I've wanted a Porsche since Jr. High School. Finally its here (at age 55).

Brand new 2018 718 Cayman GTS.
The car exceeds my expectations every time I drive it.

Wow nice ..... Gotta love Porsche ... Besides the Mini's this is my other mode of transport with the engine designed by Porsche

Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Seriously - driving manual cars now outside of a racing scenario is like saying "I hate progress and technology."
The idea that an automatic transmission is more progressive and technologically advanced is misguided and wrong...they're convenient and easier for the driver, but they are relatively simple, inefficient and allow less control. Because of their relative inefficiency cars with automatic transmission are generally not as fuel efficient as cars with a manual transmission, and they are also less expensive and easier to build.

Perfect if you don't want to, or can't drive a manual, but more progressive...don't think so. There are good reasons they are not popular in many race series. Did I mention that they are slower...a lot slower than a manual.
Old 29th April 2018
For all you road warriors, the adventure kicks in where the pavement ends. My rig is a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JKU 4 door. It has a lift and 33" Dick Cepek Fun Country mud terrain tires. It has adjustable shocks, a Gale Banks air intake system, Optima battery, G2 gears, etc.

It's an automatic trans with the limited slip rear end. Auto's are preferred for rock climbing, you can two foot it on the gas/brake with the hand brake and spin the vehicle. I could also do that with a manual transmission IF I had a long enough "third leg".

It's "Rescue Green" AKA "Shrek" green. It's used in the high Sierras in summer and the Anza Borrego State Desert here in the winter.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

I've opted for a manual transmission on every car I've bought for myself until my most recent, but when there's only one forward gear it ceases to be a meaningful distinction. While I dearly loved the two Porsches I have owned, our Boxster started to feel like driving a piece of history rather than a modern vehicle after spending time with our Model S:

We sold our final internal combustion engine last year, and can't imagine driving anything but electric from here on out. Not a practical option for everyone, I recognize, but it suits our needs perfectly.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

What are we going to do with all those batteries when they die?
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
What are we going to do with all those batteries when they die?
Recycle them? One of the advantages of producing a large quantity of something is the huge opportunity it creates for doing something meaningful end-of-life. Of course they don't necessarily "die" all of a sudden unless something traumatic happens to them, the just get less efficient over time. It's also reasonable to assume that repurposing them in fixed installations will extend their useful life before it's time to scrap them entirely.

We've owned ours for more than five years without any battery-related concerns, so one of the obvious questions is how long their useful life turns out to be. So far, it's looking promising.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
Recycle them? One of the advantages of producing a large quantity of something is the huge opportunity it creates for doing something meaningful end-of-life.
You mean like all the plastic bottles and bags we have floating around in the oceans and land fills?

Quote:
Of course they don't necessarily "die" all of a sudden unless something traumatic happens to them, the just get less efficient over time. It's also reasonable to assume that repurposing them in fixed installations will extend their useful life before it's time to scrap them entirely.
They get less and less efficient until they die.

Quote:
We've owned ours for more than five years without any battery-related concerns, so one of the obvious questions is how long their useful life turns out to be. So far, it's looking promising.
They're all relatively new now but in a decade or three we'll have millions to dispose of...they're even in bicycles now too, more than 300,000 sold in France alone last year.

Anyway, this is not aimed at you personally, its a question I've been asking myself for a couple of years now because I've not heard of a really good program to deal with this problem when it eventually rears its ugly head but they keep telling us that this is a safer alternative for the planet...this is like exchanging your pet alligator for a crocodile.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
You mean like all the plastic bottles and bags we have floating around in the oceans and land fills?
People toss individual disposable items because they don't think it's worth the hassle of recycling them. I don't see them tossing hundreds of pounds of battery in the same casual fashion. They're absolutely worth recycling, and invested companies are actively involved in doing so already.

Quote:
Anyway, this is not aimed at you personally, its a question I've been asking myself for a couple of years now because I've not heard of a really good program to deal with this problem when it eventually rears its ugly head but they keep telling us that this is a safer alternative for the planet...this is like exchanging your pet alligator for a crocodile.
It's a question the fossil fuel industry has significant interest in stoking, too, so we'll see lots of articles bringing it up as if it's a big conundrum without any meaningful answers – just to stall electric adoption. It's a good question, but it's far from novel or unanswerable.
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Gaia View Post
People toss individual disposable items because they don't think it's worth the hassle of recycling them. I don't see them tossing hundreds of pounds of battery in the same casual fashion. They're absolutely worth recycling, and invested companies are actively involved in doing so already.
At some point they simply aren't wort the cost of recycling...planes, ships cars batteries, computers you name it. The fact is that while they get recycled in developed countries, the situation with lead-acid batteries in developing countries is another story...lead poisoning and soil pollution is the name of the game.

Quote:
It's a question the fossil fuel industry has significant interest in stoking, too, so we'll see lots of articles bringing it up as if it's a big conundrum without any meaningful answers – just to stall electric adoption. It's a good question, but it's far from novel or unanswerable.
It's a question than any well thinking person should be asking, I'm a mechanical engineer who have worked for decades in the transport sector, most notably in shipping and railroad propulsion systems...not just a casual bystander. The question is certainly not unanswerable but we should have a clear answer before we dive into the new paradise...and we haven't even touched on the power needed to charge all the batteries that will be needed.

Last edited by Samc; 29th April 2018 at 10:54 PM..
Old 29th April 2018
Lives for gear

When you take into account that most of the electricity used in the US is generated by burning fossil fuels, and you work out the numbers, electric cars contribute about as much greenhouse gas to the environment per mile as gasoline cars. Both spew about 200 grams per mile according to data from the U.S. Department of Energy.
Old 30th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
At some point they simply aren't wort the cost of recycling...planes, ships cars batteries, computers you name it. The fact is that while they get recycled in developed countries, the situation with lead-acid batteries in developing countries is another story...lead poisoning and soil pollution is the name of the game.
I pointed you to the specific recycling program for these batteries, so I'm not sure what else to tell you. It's a pretty definitive answer to the question posed.

Quote:
...and we haven't even touched on the power needed to charge all the batteries that will be needed.
Worst case, we produce it from gasoline. Stationary gas turbines produce electricity with greater than 60% efficiency, which is roughly double what a gasoline-powered vehicle manages. Gas turbines just aren't practical in moving vehicles because it takes so much energy to get them started. They just don't work efficiently in start/stop contexts, so we're stuck with technologies similar to the current combustion designs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
When you take into account that most of the electricity used in the US is generated by burning fossil fuels
See above for a start, but beyond that even when the source is the same, the impact can differ. It's a lot easier to install aggressive carbon reclamation measures on hundreds or thousands of stationary power plants than it is on millions of automobiles. That completely discounts renewable sources which are growing rapidly and which are responsible for a much larger part of energy production where I live than in other parts of the country.

I'm not trying to claim other people should make the same choices I do. Indeed I made that clear in my initial post. I thought this would be a fun thread to contribute to, but it appears that's not the case. Consider me done. You can now go back to ignoring energy inefficiency of other vehicles posted here and selectively attacking electric vehicles per the oil sector's wishes.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search