The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Myth of the 99 Cent Book Studio Headphones
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Myth of the 99 Cent Book

A coherent article on why digital books shouldn't cost 99 cents.

Also, a clear look at why having a large industry doesn't need to ever equate to providing a living for the participants.

My advice for people wiling to wake up: don't attack the price of content, change the platform. If you aren't doing that, then you are only making a problem worse. You don't set 'sharecroppers' free by paying less for their crops - you can set them free by providing them the means to exit the dominant platform - by paying them directly.

The Myth of the 99 Cent Book (by @baekdal) #opinion
Old 15th September 2011
the container is not the product be it a book, a cd, a dvd, or digital bits.

the product is the product, the container is the container

a book should not be 99 cents anymore than an album should be

the cost is in human labor, period.

if people want meaningless bits, buy empty hard drives.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
the container is not the product be it a book, a cd, a dvd, or digital bits.

the product is the product, the container is the container

a book should not be 99 cents anymore than an album should be

the cost is in human labor, period.

if people want meaningless bits, buy empty hard drives.
At the local pub I frequent there's this one guy who LOVES his Kindle. He keeps proselytizing me on how great it is, even repeatedly offering to buy one for me (I habitually read at bars). He just can't understand it when I explain to him the (A) I don't want to spend even more time staring at a computer screen and (B) when he buys a cheap e-book for $.99 it's because the author is getting ripped off.

I have a fairly large book collection, to the point where storage becomes a periodic problem requiring the addition of more shelves and milk crates on a fairly regular basis........
Old 15th September 2011

I don't like Kindle or Ipad book readers. I don't read novels. I read science or tech books - scrabbling around is part of reading that kind of material. Ipad an dKindle are totally inadequate for that purpose.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
I don't like Kindle or Ipad book readers. I don't read novels. I read science or tech books - scrabbling around is part of reading that kind of material. Ipad an dKindle are totally inadequate for that purpose.
same here - I also don't read fiction - but what I do read (and a lot of it) I generally annotate with my own thoughts comments - so much so that in hindsight it's nearly a form of journaling... I can't do that on a kindle or ipad.

side note, got an ipad2 as a gift, I gave it to my wife, she loves it, I didn't.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Clearly my library card is bringing the man down.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared View Post
Clearly my library card is bringing the man down.
Libraries don't let you keep the books nor do Video Rentals... Different business.

Posted from a scoring stage or recording studio via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

The idea of competing solely on price point has been proven to be a bad idea so many times. I don't know when people will understand this.

As the graph shows, initially, there is money to be made. You have a great product compared to the competition that is significantly less. You lower your price point, more sales. Seems great. Well, it seems great until your competition is now forced to lower prices to compete. Now you are competing at a lower price point, rather than owning that price point. You are not competing on price now. You are competing on every thing you were competing on before the prices were lower, just at lower prices. Basically, within a very short period of time, you had the same issues competitively as you did at a much higher price but devalued your work, and everyone else in the process.

Same goes for offering more of the same thing. If someone offers you X for $10 and you offer XX for $10, the competition will start offer XX if there it made an impact in the market place.

These things should be so obvious but it happens, especially on the web, time and time again.
Top Mentioned Products
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search