The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
How to make kids (and others) understand?? Condenser Microphones
Old 2nd January 2011
  #121
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
Or because their music is far outside of the mainstream where there is no possibility of earning a living.
Oh, you mean like, um, TOM WAITS?????

or THE BUTTHOLE SURFERS????
Old 2nd January 2011
  #122
Or Seasick Steve (signed to Warner Brothers).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasick_Steve
Or Murcof (signed to Leaf UK)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murcof
Old 2nd January 2011
  #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
Good god, you make me laugh. You're back to WTF land again. You don't have much hard evidence other than your biased opinion. You can count the numbers of torrents. You can't count the numbers of torrents who would have purchased. You can measure the downturn, but you can't yet measure the impact piracy has had on the downturn. The fact that you THINK you have "facts" is, again, back in WTF land. You don't.
You refuse to admit things that are as plain as the nose on your face.
Quote:
BTW, you are one who has thrown the "facts" word around a few times, and I've proven you wrong with your "facts" at least twice. So you have frankly no credibility with me about what you CLAIM is a "fact."
You have not "proven" anything, much less proven me wrong. You do have a remarkable capacity for misinterpreting statements and twisting people's words to allow to to claim they said things that they didn't say or attribute meanings they didn't mean.

All you've done is thrown around a lot of conjecture based on invalid "research" on largely irrelevant factors using biased subjects in quantities too small to draw conclusions from, or based on obsolete market figures from markets that have no bearing on the subject at hand. And attempted to throw up a smokescreen by bringing up hypothetical "other factors" that demonstrably have nothing to do with the subject. You also refuse to acknowledge when your own arguments contradict themselves.

Your entire premise is a castle built on sand - it doesn't stand up. There's no "there" there.

Your "research" isn't research and your "data" isn't data. There isn't any validity to your position.

The only real hard data on the subject is the figures for sales versus the figures for illegal downloads. And those figures are clear. It's not my fault that you don't know how to interpret a simple graph.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #124
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I do.
But then I play mp3's back on my iPhone - how good is the quality going to be anyway?
I also like to support the artists, in this case 99.9% of the time electronica artists.
I find $2-$3 per song decent value, especially when I can enjoy the music on my walk in the countryside or sitting in an airport departure lounge.
I don't have an iPhone - I refuse to support Steve Jobs by purchasing any of his products. I don't even like having Quicktime on my computer but I haven't been able to avoid it.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #125
Fair enough. thumbsup

I could easily feel the same way about mp3's and the iPhone.

Both have just ended up being convenient for me. Neither feature heavily in my daily routine.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #126
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Yeah. There's a ton of Stones outtakes and rough mixes floating around. I ran into a pre-edit version of Gimme Shelter a few months ago that was really interesting to hear all the extraneous stuff that got cut out......
Floating around (for free)?

Bootlegs used to be pretty expensive...

Kids today...
Old 2nd January 2011
  #127
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post

I don't even like having Quicktime on my computer but I haven't been able to avoid it.
Try this:

QuickTime Alternative
Old 2nd January 2011
  #128
Lives for gear
 
nuthinupmysleeve's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
You refuse to admit things that are as plain as the nose on your face.
I'm very sensitive about the size of my nose. Let it be.

Quote:
You have not "proven" anything
The only thing I've proven is your "facts" aren't always facts. That's it.

Quote:
Your "research" isn't research and your "data" isn't data. There isn't any validity to your position.
OK, and your "facts" aren't facts. So we're good.

heh

Yet, here we are. On a board. Still arguing about it. Interesting.

Quote:
It's not my fault that you don't know how to interpret a simple graph.
No, but it IS your fault that you KNEW it was FACT that Pamlamoose made more money on downloads than youtube... until, of course, your "fact" was wrong.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #129
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Floating around (for free)?

Bootlegs used to be pretty expensive...

Kids today...
Actually most of what I've heard has been from people with first, second, or third hand access to the studio archives. A little bit has been on the Internet, like that Gimme Shelter rough. That might even have been on Youtube, but I'm not certain.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #130
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalad View Post
No, but it IS your fault that you KNEW it was FACT that Pamlamoose made more money on downloads than youtube... until, of course, your "fact" was wrong.
Pamela who?

Is that Bullwinkle's sister?
Old 2nd January 2011
  #131
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Actually most of what I've heard has been from people with first, second, or third hand access to the studio archives. A little bit has been on the Internet, like that Gimme Shelter rough. That might even have been on Youtube, but I'm not certain.
Right...so the tracks on the net (on youtube) are a legit release from The Stones?

Third hand access...what does that mean? Someone with first hand gives it to someone, and then they give it to someone and so on? And The Stones are getting paid for that?
Old 2nd January 2011
  #132
Dude, these things have been floating around for years.
There's a whole slew of Beatles ones too.
I've never owned them, I've never uploaded them or downloaded them myself.
Yeah, I've walked into a recording studio and heard them being played.
Quite a few times.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Right...so the tracks on the net (on youtube) are a legit release from The Stones?

Third hand access...what does that mean? Someone with first hand gives it to someone, and then they give it to someone and so on? And The Stones are getting paid for that?
Well, if they're on Youtube and have not been taken down it's a fair bet that the Stones management have agreed to let them stay up on an advertising deal.

How YouTube thinks about copyright
Old 2nd January 2011
  #134
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP11 View Post
Right...so the tracks on the net (on youtube) are a legit release from The Stones?

Third hand access...what does that mean? Someone with first hand gives it to someone, and then they give it to someone and so on? And The Stones are getting paid for that?
It's stuff played among insiders, not available to the public.

For example, I heard a bunch of stuff from a niece (I think) of Jerry Wexler......

Occasionally something leaks. I don't think that anybody's very concerned about most of it because it doesn't compete directly with the commercial release.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #135
Lives for gear
 
12ax7's Avatar
 

.
Hey, it's not just music and art!

It seems that today there are a whole lotta folks who really believe that just about ANYTHING they want or need should be "free".
.

.
Old 2nd January 2011
  #136
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
.
Hey, it's not just music and art!

It seems that today there are a whole lotta folks who really believe that just about ANYTHING they want or need should be "free".
.

.
Well, I'm gonna go get me some free Sunday barbecue at my local bar today. Of course I am kind of expected to buy some not-free booze to go along with it..........

Anybody got a free car I can have? With some free gasoline?
Old 3rd January 2011
  #137
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
It's stuff played among insiders, not available to the public.

Occasionally something leaks. I don't think that anybody's very concerned about most of it because it doesn't compete directly with the commercial release.
Quote:
Well, if they're on Youtube and have not been taken down it's a fair bet that the Stones management have agreed to let them stay up on an advertising deal.
Uh huh.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
somsto75 / Low End Theory
77
Entrainer / Electronic Music Instruments and Electronic Music Production
0
Jonboy79 / Gear free zone - shoot the breeze
9

Forum Jump
Forum Jump