The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A suggestion to the staff Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th December 2010
A suggestion to the staff

I propose that anybody posting in this subforum be required to do so under their real name or provide links to their real identity..
Old 27th December 2010
Unlikely to happen, but I really think it would help in many discussions.
thumbsup
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Unapplicable, but would certainly tame some of the BS.
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

Why ...?
Are you going to report them to the authorities yourself or are you expecting the mods to get involved
Old 27th December 2010
And then the follow-up question would be, "But who were you in your previous lives?"
Old 27th December 2010
Lives for gear

The reality is that this section of the forum can cause real-world ramifications to some of our bottom-lines.
If my real name was tied to my account... i'd be more apt to talk like a PR person, than state what's really on my mind...
Old 27th December 2010
I wouldn't have believed it, but my experience on a couple of other forums where real and full names are mandatory is that the BS is virtually non-existent, and the banter is much more realistic and polite.
No sanctions are specified on either forum, but the mood dramatically changed on one of the forums when it switched from anonymous posting to real name posting overnight.

I personally remember a couple of posters who made grand claims and were then debunked when other members followed their MySpace link or posting history on other parts of the forum.
Neither ever came back to the piracy forum.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

I agree... I was involved in the george massenburg forum where real names were required, and it was great!
Old 28th December 2010
if it were mandatory for all, I'd play.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

The big question is: which of us has been suspended for repeatedly attacking others and being generally disagreeable and was that person posting under his real name or was he using an alias.
Old 29th December 2010
That just shows moderation in action.
Moderation is a second discussion.
From my actual experience, banning anonymity seems to bring out less dishonesty, bad attitude and BS.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Count me out. While I don't particularly consider myself anonymous here I do believe in the right to anonymous expression online. It's Jules site, it's up to him, yes I understand all that. But I personally think we've been able to have a variety of heated discussions and I don't believe I've disrespected anyone here or been disrespected back.

If any of you feel differently, I would love to know.
Old 29th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
Count me out. While I don't particularly consider myself anonymous here I do believe in the right to anonymous expression online. It's Jules site, it's up to him, yes I understand all that. But I personally think we've been able to have a variety of heated discussions and I don't believe I've disrespected anyone here or been disrespected back.

If any of you feel differently, I would love to know.
On a site such as this it just wouldn't make any real difference. If anything GS is over moderated and some of the biggest offenders are people that use their real names. Most of the "trolling" and "flaming" that go on here are really just people disagreeing and continuing arguments like it was a chat room instead of just letting things go when they have made their point, but feel like the other side is ignoring them.
Old 29th December 2010
Well it's also funny to note the people most against any change to the user name rules.
Old 31st December 2010
I feel like I would be wasting a whole lot of time and missing a great opportunity to burnish my legend if I was doing all this posting anonymously.

I mean, not that... ah, the hell with it, you know what I mean!
Old 31st December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
I feel like I would be wasting a whole lot of time and missing a great opportunity to burnish my legend if I was doing all this posting anonymously.

I mean, not that... ah, the hell with it, you know what I mean!
Yes, Joel, I do!
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Sorry Joel, but you are officially my favorite person posting here. I know Chris and John and whateverhisnameisthisweek are going to be disappointed. Actually, I'd guess Joel will be most disappointed of all...
Old 31st December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I propose that anybody posting in this subforum be required to do so under their real name or provide links to their real identity..
Didn't we establish a long time ago (maybe in another forum) the fallacy of validity of opinion.......????

All this crap is largely opinion.

I think you're letting this stuff get under your skin a little too much.
Don't give yourself an ulcer over a bunch of thieving morons.........

Think of all the idiots you have to deal with in real life, and multiply that number by millions, and that's what you're in for on the internet.

thumbsup

(disclaimer: plenty of people know who I am, including you and Chrisso)
Old 2nd January 2011
How would anyone be able to really prove who they were, though?
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
I agree with you...... and I also realise it's never going to happen, but I have witnessed the real world benefits in action.
Two open forums, one I've been a member of a short time, and one I've been a member of for years. Obviously with the first one I don't know what it was like before made up screen names were disallowed. But everyone is now compelled to use their real name, and people often put their job and location in their signature. I hear from comments by the old members it had been a cauldron of fighting in the past. Now, by and large, it's very respectful.
The second forum was populated mostly by genuine people who wanted to learn and discuss. But was plagued by people who just wanted to argue this product was better than that one etc, etc.
The forum owner, tired of adjudicating between fist fighting opponents first closed the forum completely. then a few months later re-opened but with the rule you have to register with your own name. So far, it's only the ones who want to participate genuinely you have re-registered.
I don't know, maybe it's something to do with the MySpace and Facebook generation. People assume if they use their real name the dirt will eventually get back to them and stick.
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

real names won't provide full transparency. agenda's are always hidden by other means, as well we won't know who is paying each and every person which can have everything to do with the rhetoric they spew...

i have no problem using my real name as far as i know it to be, but have also heard tales where it can get you into real world trouble...
Old 2nd January 2011
A number of years ago I was involved in a site under a screen name and managed to piss off some neo-**** punk script kiddies from Germany - they somehow managed to trace my real phone number and were giving me harassing calls despite the screen name.
Old 2nd January 2011
Not going to happen...
Old 2nd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitecat View Post
Phone number?
Old 3rd January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Phone number?
with txt verification!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search