The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
My proposal for a Bittorrent based dowload service to compete with piracy and revolut Sound Enhancers & Exciters (HW)
Old 5th February 2011
I won't participate in the discussion, but I'd like to post this video.
It's about markets for different goods, including music.
Skip to 4:25 for relevant part. (the video is part 3 of an interview)
This is a FIY

watch part 1 and 2 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osjLSIgNLl8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvzWGc28beY
Old 5th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
I won't participate in the discussion, but I'd like to post this video.
It's about markets for different goods, including music.
Skip to 4:25 for relevant part. (the video is part 3 of an interview)
This is a FIY

watch part 1 and 2 here:
YouTube - On the Edge with Max Kaiser-World oil markets & their structure-02-04-2011-(Part1)
YouTube - On the Edge with Max Kaiser-World oil markets & their structure-02-04-2011-(Part2)
1.) The guy is insane. He's throwing off buzzwords that don't make sense and redefining terms to suit his personal definitions.

2.) Even if he wasn't insane, what does what he's talking about (oil economics) have to do with music?

3.) and this has WHAT to do with my proposal?
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

In the latest wired mag, there is an article on spotify... It sounds almost similar to what John was suggesting actually. It's built on p2p. The only difference is it's free.

I understand people may not like the pay structure, and I'm sure everything is subject to change and negotiation.
Old 6th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
In the latest wired mag, there is an article on spotify... It sounds almost similar to what John was suggesting actually. It's built on p2p. The only difference is it's free.

I understand people may not like the pay structure, and I'm sure everything is subject to change and negotiation.
YouTube Really Thinks We're That Stupid...

Spotify, In Numbers: .00000000000.... - Digital Music News
Old 6th February 2011
Lives for gear

The point is, I'm sure there is negotiation going on. If the fee structure is wrong, then make it right without being stupid about it. The often quoted graphic with the pink dots is not even close to being accurate.
Old 6th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepthoughts View Post
The point is, I'm sure there is negotiation going on. If the fee structure is wrong, then make it right without being stupid about it. The often quoted graphic with the pink dots is not even close to being accurate.
how do you know?
Old 7th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Allison View Post
Perhaps you missed what I wrote earlier:

"If there was software designed to register each song already recorded- submitted by the rights holder, and then all songs recorded thereafter, an ISP would know what was illegal traffic, and detect it with some type of DPI."

Zap. Songs that have been registered, have to pay a toll to pass.

Songs not registered, like ruff or test mixes between artist and producer, pass through no problem. Guys like us get to continue to use the cyber lockers for their original intention.

IDing songs is easy already: Welcome to Shazam

And those techniques, known to the new software, would be taken into consideration.
And perhaps you missed what Don Hills, who is an IT hotshot working for the telecom industry wrote earlier:

It won't work. It's impossible to do that analysis is real time. Anything like that depends on the content being unarchived and unencrypted. (paraphrased)

And if the data is properly encrypted it might not be possible to do at all in any practical time frame.

Can Shazam ID a song that has been archived in a ZIP file? No, it cannot. Shazam can only identify things in audio formatted files. You'd need to unzip it first, which takes time. If that zip file is itself archived in an RAR file it takes even more time, and if the archives are multipart (split into approximately 100kB files) you can't open them at all without all the parts. If the material is being distributed by Bittorrent with each file in the multipart archive being split into small (1.5kb) chunks transmitted by a dozen different seeders to problem becomes impossible.

It's a silly idea, commonly proposed by people who know nothing about IT and nothing about common transmission practices in the digital underground.

And anyway, none of this nonsense has anything to do with my proposal.
Old 7th February 2011
Quote:
How does any of the above not already apply to the websites you want to shut down?
What DOES this "toll to pass" bushwa have to do with websites you want to shut down?

Nothing that I can see.

And none of it has anything to do with my proposal.
Old 7th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
then why not have an application, registration process? if people are going to get paid, they're going to have to be legit. Isn't this how itunes, tunecore, etc do it?

I mean, so idiot in a bedroom can not upload the Zeppelin catalog to Itunes as their own, just because they've registered with Tunecore.
Why not?

Quote:
Did I miss something?
Yes, I think you did.

Specifically the part about user class members not being able to upload torrents.

You would have to register and be approved to upload, and would have to have everything you uploaded properly formatted and registered, with the required metadata and barcodes. In other words, if Amazon or iTunes wouldn't handle it, this service wouldn't either. This would be not only to keep out a-holes trying to upload Zepplin, but also to prevent substandard amateur produced content from clogging the tracker.

What many people, especially in the industry, misunderstand about Bittorrent is that they think it has to be open. It doesn't. If you'd bothered to actually READ the paper you'd be aware that there aqre many forms of control possible. The fact that TPB doesn't implement most of the is beside the point - what I'm proposing is about as far from TPB as Tiffany's is from a skid row jewelry fence.
Old 7th February 2011
Quote:
I'm not trying to be pedantic here, but since the ISPs seem to have no trouble with other forms of filtering and DPI, why exactly are they going to have problems with mp3 files?
This has nothing to do with my proposal. If you want to talk about it start another thread.
Old 7th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
how do you know?
About Spotify? I read a couple of pieces about it... I'll try and dig 'em up. Evidently the graphic was created based on a very early revenue model that was changed. IIRC it wasn't even implemented, but don't quote me on that.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search