The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
You See!
Old 21st December 2010
You See!

I always said it wasn't quite over yet:
BBC News - Playbutton: Self-playing music for digital times

But on a completely serious note, I don't see mp3's as the end game, or that buying recorded music will never be cool or practical again.
Who knows what will happen in 5 to 10 years?
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post

But on a completely serious note, I don't see mp3's as the end game, or that buying recorded music will never be cool or practical again.
Buddha machine gristleism

I see these as a good thing , particularly if you can target an aesthetic , interactive or collectible angle . Give people what they are missing out on in terms of a digital file .
Old 21st December 2010
Quote:

I'd like to have some of what that guy's smokin'.....
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

kinda cool... at some point, hopefully that will be made available to indie artists. I'd sell 'em.
Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

Old 21st December 2010
Lives for gear

LOL

Quote:
And, quirky as it seems, the result could help make physical music formats cool again in the digital era.
The Playbutton is a digital music album in the form of a badge, providing album artwork that you can wear. Pin it to your lapel, plug in a pair of headphones and you can walk down the street displaying your musical taste as you listen.
yeah right

Office Space Movie - Joanna Quits With Flair | Video « MOVIECLIPS

the only thing i'd read into this, is that wearing badges and pins is so very uncool
Old 21st December 2010
I can see the product being a hit with younger kids, also with indie bands and their fans. The fans wanting to look cool and be seen as supporting the artist.
Cool, limited edition badges could be produced.
Old 22nd December 2010
Uh, yeah, right.

I can just see people walking around with a whole pocketful of badges from all their favorite bands......

Oh, wait - I can't see that at all.......................
Old 22nd December 2010
Lives for gear

I think it's a great (novel) idea...I would absolutely wear (and listen to) a Sgt. Pepper's button...

why stop at buttons...hats, necklaces, earrings...

I think, in general, the price is too high (regardless of how much an mp3 player is)...
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
I can just see people walking around with a whole pocketful of badges from all their favorite bands......
People collect baseball cards that have no intrinsic worth.
People dress up as Japanese Anime characters and go to comic conventions.
I honestly can see people going to a gig and walking around the next day with an exclusive music playing badge that you could only buy at the gig.
It's another value added option for creative people.

A few years ago I was handing out mini CD's of my showreel instead of a boring business card. So here's another way to combine your actual music with a tangible item you can own and hold.
Not the final answer, but another chip in the mp3 is the be all and end all argument IMO.
Old 22nd December 2010
Quote:
People collect baseball cards that have no intrinsic worth.
People dress up as Japanese Anime characters and go to comic conventions.
I honestly can see people going to a gig and walking around the next day with an exclusive music playing badge that you could only buy at the gig.
It's another value added option for creative people.

A few years ago I was handing out mini CD's of my showreel instead of a boring business card. So here's another way to combine your actual music with a tangible item you can own and hold.
Not the final answer, but another chip in the mp3 is the be all and end all argument IMO.
Yeah, I could see it as a party favor if it was cheap enough. But as a serious distribution medium? No.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search