The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
UK consumers back file-sharing clampdown
Old 10th July 2010
Lives for gear

UK consumers back file-sharing clampdown

Pretty interesting article.

UK consumers back file-sharing clampdown | IT PRO

Quote:
A new Ipsos Mori poll has revealed that most UK consumers now feel it is acceptable for internet service providers (ISPs) to slow down or suspend the internet connections of copyright infringers.

53 per cent of those questioned said it was acceptable for ISPs to slow down their internet connections, and 52 per cent agreed that persistent offenders should have their account suspended.

Under the Digital Economy Act (DEA), set to come into force next year, ISPs will be able to do just that, and cut offenders who have ignored three earlier warnings delivered by letter.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

And now, almost a year later, it appears the courts support it too.

UK High Court backs online piracy clampdown| Reuters

Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

I can't help but think we will be very sorry over this kind of legislation. The devil is in the details so we'll have to see how it plays out now. Meanwhile in the US, our President is having secret meets and "town halls" with Facebook and Google.
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neenja View Post
I can't help but think we will be very sorry over this kind of legislation. The devil is in the details so we'll have to see how it plays out now. Meanwhile in the US, our President is having secret meets and "town halls" with Facebook and Google.
if it's secret, how do you know ;-)
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
Meanwhile in the US, our President is having secret meets and "town halls" with Facebook and Google.
Of course, they are two of the most successful businesses in America, and they were both used as key tools of communication when electing him in the first place.
Do you think he's most concerned about Google's role in illegal filesharing, or preparing for re-election?
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
It's the details of the meetings that seem to be secret.
Old 20th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Of course, they are two of the most successful businesses in America, and they were both used as key tools of communication when electing him in the first place.
Do you think he's most concerned about Google's role in illegal filesharing, or preparing for re-election?
His old spokesman just went to work for Facebook. He isn't about to tell them they have to do anything.
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rack gear View Post
Neenja knows all the secrets that we're not privy to. That's why he calls himself "Neenja"!
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
It's the details of the meetings that seem to be secret.
From BBC News:
Quote:
Mr Obama will turn to the world's biggest social network to host a virtual town hall meeting to give his 2012 campaign a boost and also to sell his plans for reducing the deficit to an electorate that incorporates a young demographic that generally speaking relies on its social graph for news and information.
Zero relevance to the piracy, filesharing discussion then.
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
From BBC News:

Zero relevance to the piracy, filesharing discussion then.
A President can't be buddies with Facebook and Google and it have zero relevance to piracy.
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eppstein View Post
Neenja knows all the secrets that we're not privy to. That's why he calls himself "Neenja"!
I guess that wasn't an attack?
Old 21st April 2011
Lives for gear

People, please, behave. And if you want to talk about Facebook, Obama, and Google, please start another thread.
Old 21st April 2011
Quote:
A President can't be buddies with Facebook and Google and it have zero relevance to piracy.
Hmm, my comment was clearly directed at your post 'meanwhile the president.....'

The role of Facebook and Google in piracy is obvious, and it's important whether the President cosy's up to those companies or not. The 'town meetings' however are clearly irrelevant to this topic.
Old 21st April 2011
this just in... pushing the boulder gets a big push in the UK... ISP's have to send letters...

BT, TalkTalk Lose Letter-Writing Challenge... - Digital Music News
Old 21st April 2011
Yes, the head of the BPI said:
"Shareholders and customers of BT and TalkTalk might ask why so much time and money has been spent challenging an act of Parliament to help reduce the illegal traffic on their networks."
Old 21st April 2011
Quote:
I guess that wasn't an attack?
No, it was friendly teasing.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

I would like to know who is figuring out who is violating what and how they are doing it. It won't matter because it's too late. Torrents have gone SSL and all anyone will be able to see is that someone has traffic. They can know the initial traffic was to a torrent site, but they won't know what was downloaded and they won't know what happens after that. Of course they could spend a ton of time and money pulling files all day long to find seeders but that won't be cost effective enough to work. Another day late dollar short for the industry.
Old 22nd April 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
I can't help but think we will be very sorry over this kind of legislation.
Why?

Just because people can still get around it?

I can use radar detectors to avoid police traps. Should would stop enforcing speed laws?
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Why?

I can use radar detectors to avoid police traps. Should would stop enforcing speed laws?
No, because of the privacy concerns that we used to be worried about. Well, that was before it cost us money, then anything goes.
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
No, because of the privacy concerns that we used to be worried about. Well, that was before it cost us money, then anything goes.
Well it turns out Apple tracks and logs everywhere you go with your iPhone and iPad.
One privacy issue is very scary, another of no concern at all?
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
...everywhere you go...
Doesn't this open the door to all kinds of false alibi's?

"See here, Your Honor... the Apple tracking log says I was home all night. So there!"
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
I would like to know who is figuring out who is violating what and how they are doing it. It won't matter because it's too late. Torrents have gone SSL and all anyone will be able to see is that someone has traffic. They can know the initial traffic was to a torrent site, but they won't know what was downloaded and they won't know what happens after that. Of course they could spend a ton of time and money pulling files all day long to find seeders but that won't be cost effective enough to work. Another day late dollar short for the industry.
Nope.

You're looking at the problem backwards.

You don't do it from the outside. You do it from the inside.

If you join a Bittorrent swarm you can see the I.P. of everybody in that swarm if you're using the right software.

This is one reason that ISPs are not suited to do proper enforcement.

You join a swarm. You log the I.P.s of everybody in that swarm. then you take your evidence and send out letters through the ISPs those addresses are assigned to to the owners of the offending IPs.

You don't start by monitoring at the ISP. You start at the tracker.
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
Well it turns out Apple tracks and logs everywhere you go with your iPhone and iPad.
privacy is all but an illusion for probably the last 15 years for anyone leading an even remotely consumer lifestyle - cellphones, emails, facebook, amazon, credit card tracking, google, etc... judging from what people are will to share on social networks, it seems most of the population has willingly abandoned old notions of what privacy means...

phooey...
Lawmakers demand answers from Apple on iPhone tracking | Signal Strength - CNET News
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
Well, as a former political dissident/activist this used to really concern me but my views have been tempered by a few realities:

!) Many, if not most major urban areas have blanket video surveillance

2) Cell phones have GPS locators.

3) There are many other ways to track you

4) Most people use social networking to some degree, which is pretty much the opposite of security

5) the government can already snoop your cell phone and email traffic - and do. The saving grace is that there's so much of it.

6) If you really want to conceal what you're up to you can use crypto, steganography, and similar techniques. If you really want privacy you can have it, but you have to work for it. Which is more or less the way things should be.

In other words, the internet is inherently insecure. All this worrying about security is beside the point - you don't have it anyway, it's just an illusion. If you want security you have to implement it.
Old 22nd April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Why?

HELL NO! It would be very bad for the radar detector business!!!

(sorry....)
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
One is the topic of this forum and another isn't.
Old 22nd April 2011
You brought up privacy.
Old 22nd April 2011
Lives for gear

If anyone wants to read a nice article on the reasoning of the judge with quotes and all, check this one out:

What now for the anti-piracy law? | The Register

Surprisingly rational.

Now if only we could get something like this on the other side of the Atlantic.
Old 21st June 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
And now, almost a year later, it appears the courts support it too.

UK High Court backs online piracy clampdown| Reuters

And again.

BT and TalkTalk denied Digital Economy Act appeal | Technology | guardian.co.uk
BT, TalkTalk refused appeal against Digital Economy Act | The Register

"Court of appeal's decision means long-running battle by UK's biggest ISPs is effectively over"
Old 22nd June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius.media View Post
And again.

BT and TalkTalk denied Digital Economy Act appeal | Technology | guardian.co.uk
BT, TalkTalk refused appeal against Digital Economy Act | The Register

"Court of appeal's decision means long-running battle by UK's biggest ISPs is effectively over"
the worm turns... even if slowly...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search