The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
One for all the piracy apologists . . . Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 22nd March 2010
Jam
Lives for gear

The more I think about this the odder it becomes.

One of the oft mentioned justifications/excuses for piracy is that Britney, Lars et al are loaded and don't need the money.

And another one of the oft mentioned justifications/excuses for piracy is that the artists don't get enough money from the record company.

Reminds me of this quote

Quote:
One way to determine whether an argument is bogus is to present the opposite set of facts and see if a person draws exactly the same conclusion.

Jonah Goldberg
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
Would be true if, like in your quote, 1 person would state both.
Old 22nd March 2010
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boody View Post
Would be true if, like in your quote, 1 person would state both.
Fair enough, that would be game, set and match but my broader point was, you can't create or imagine a system in which you'd be able to satisfy both complainants.

Much of my thinking on this subject has been in terms of, is there a genuine complaint ? If there is that can be addressed, a compromise can be reached.

I obviously understand that can't please all the people all the time but if we could get some definition of what the consumers actually want we could at least move closer.

James
Old 22nd March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Fair enough, that would be game, set and match but my broader point was, you can't create or imagine a system in which you'd be able to satisfy both complainants.
No, I think they are just excuses. The excuse that artists are bathing in wealth comes from envy, the excuse that artists are being cheated by labels comes from a lot of musicians. Both may have their reasons, but they justify their actions by generalizing an excess.

The broader point I'm seeing and hearing when speaking to people about piracy is that they think it is more or less the same as copying a cd/dvd from a friend, which is just one step away from the legal copy for your own use, and a habit left over from the days of the cassette. Technically they see it as private sharing and almost all of them say that if they really like something, they buy it. The vinyl, cd or dvd that is. Less of my friends buy mp3s. Probably because they think in the same way as I do.
Then again, i-tunes does good business.
Old 22nd March 2010
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boody View Post
No, I think they are just excuses. The excuse that artists are bathing in wealth comes from envy, the excuse that artists are being cheated by labels comes from a lot of musicians. Both may have their reasons, but they justify their actions by generalizing an excess.

The broader point I'm seeing and hearing when speaking to people about piracy is that they think it is more or less the same as copying a cd/dvd from a friend, which is just one step away from the legal copy for your own use, and a habit left over from the days of the cassette. Technically they see it as private sharing and almost all of them say that if they really like something, they buy it. The vinyl, cd or dvd that is. Less of my friends buy mp3s. Probably because they think in the same way as I do.
Then again, i-tunes does good business.
I've always "got where you were coming from" it's some of the other stuff that confuses me !!

James

Last edited by Jam; 22nd March 2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 22nd March 2010

most people problem is that they think the perceived artist does all the work.
Old 22nd March 2010
Jam
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
most people problem is that they think the perceived artist does all the work.
I'm now imagining Elton John doing the regional press ring round.

James
Old 22nd March 2010

hahaha
Old 22nd March 2010
I'm going to bookmark this post... no matter how many times we ride the merry go round as this conversation goes, these two points are used over and over...

If not for greedy labels, if not for rich music stars...

well, you can't very well get millionaire music stars if labels aren't paying anyone...

Quote:

One of the oft mentioned justifications/excuses for piracy is that Britney, Lars et al are loaded and don't need the money.

And another one of the oft mentioned justifications/excuses for piracy is that the artists don't get enough money from the record company.

Reminds me of this quote
Quote:
One way to determine whether an argument is bogus is to present the opposite set of facts and see if a person draws exactly the same conclusion.

Jonah Goldberg
Old 22nd March 2010
BACK ON TOPIC:

Viacom v. YouTube/Google: A Copyright and Piracy Case in Their Own Words - DailyFinance

Quote:
One of the more contentious issues in this case is precisely what is necessary to claim the safe harbor. YouTube's position is essentially that willful blindness to infringement is OK, while Viacom argues that it's specifically prohibited.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search