The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
It's time for me to make a confession to you all
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

It's time for me to make a confession to you all

I really hope you guys are right. I love albums. I love the idea of even a hobbyist being able to sell 1000 CDs. I like high fidelity, and would love to see a really high end format come out that blows CD fidelity out of the water.

I'd like to see piracy stopped or dramatically minimized.
I'd like to see the album make a comeback.
I'd like to see musicians get paid fairly.
I'd like to feel the excitement again of buying a new album, knowing how much time and thought had gone into everything from the artwork to the track order to the panning, and knowing that I'd been waiting months to hear it.

I'm not a music pirate just telling you all to give it up and celebrating new media as the new religion.

That said, I really do have my doubts about the ability of the industry to put the genie back in the bottle again (or perhaps the horse back in the barn). I'm also not going to support excessive punishments for people who download illegally. That doesn't mean I don't think they should be punished, but I think a 50 dollar fine for each album you download is much more appropriate than 50,000.

By and large, I've said my piece here. I wish you all luck in your professional and personal endeavors, and as I've always said, I'll be the first to acknowledge I was wrong should piracy ever be brought back under control to a meaningful degree.
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
I'd like to see piracy stopped or dramatically minimized.
I'd like to see the album make a comeback.
I'd like to see musicians get paid fairly.
I'd like to feel the excitement again of buying a new album, knowing how much time and thought had gone into everything from the artwork to the track order to the panning, and knowing that I'd been waiting months to hear it.
You sound like the Audio version of Martin Luther King, just missed the words "I have a dream", just kidding...
Old 10th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagavulin16 View Post
I'm also not going to support excessive punishments for people who download illegally. That doesn't mean I don't think they should be punished, but I think a 50 dollar fine for each album you download is much more appropriate than 50,000.
$50 seem reasonable to me. The purpose is not to harm anybody.
Old 10th February 2010
thanks lagavulin16

as much as I do not agree with your views on piracy management your position has certainly helped to explore areas of the debate/conversation that might not have happen without such a robust devil's advocate.

what I would love to know however is what perspective is based on. do you work in IT, servers, new media, internet tech, or are you a guy just reading a lot of internet news and spitting it back out?

me - I've worked int he entertainment industry for 25 years, I've never become a mogul, I've had some fair success, some failures and through it all made decent living doing more/less what I love.

Come May of 2011 you and I'll need to check the stats and settle up.

I hope we're both here to see what that looks like - and I'm very inclined to think the biggest change to the landscape by then will most likely have nothing to do with what we've been discussing...
Old 11th February 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks, I just wanted to differentiate myself from some people who think the "new model" is great for everyone and we should just go with it...

My background is all technology, but I've been a music fan as far back as I can remember.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search