The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I started building a small studio
Old 16th November 2006
  #1
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I started building a small studio

After more then 2 years of having the studio project made, I finally started to build it thumbsup

I'll be making updates of the progress of the construction.

This is the empty space.







This is a 3D rendering of what it will become.








Old 17th November 2006
  #2
Gear Guru
 
Glenn Kuras's Avatar

Looks like it is going to be pretty cool. Let us know if you have any questions we can help you with.

Glenn
Old 17th November 2006
  #3
Gear Addict
 
Cheech's Avatar
 

Nice work Eduardo!! Looks pretty friggen cool. Good luck with everything, and keep us posted on how it turns out.
Old 18th November 2006
  #4
TER
Gear maniac
 
TER's Avatar
You wil be recording to a machine of some kind, yes? Might want to work that into the plan...

Hard to make a record with a console and 5 speakers...

No outboard? Computer monitors? Keyboards (midi or computer)?

Make sure you have room to put EVERYTHING you'll need in there... it's amazing how quickly spaces fill up with things that are essential to the job which were not in the plans originally. Every control room I've built has ended up stuffed with stuff, regarless how open and spacious it seemed like it would be!

It's amazing how much space a piano takes up, too.

-t
Old 18th November 2006
  #5
Registered User
 
cosmos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TER View Post
You wil be recording to a machine of some kind, yes? Might want to work that into the plan...

Hard to make a record with a console and 5 speakers...

No outboard? Computer monitors? Keyboards (midi or computer)?

Make sure you have room to put EVERYTHING you'll need in there... it's amazing how quickly spaces fill up with things that are essential to the job which were not in the plans originally. Every control room I've built has ended up stuffed with stuff, regarless how open and spacious it seemed like it would be!

It's amazing how much space a piano takes up, too.

-t
from the avater ( look closley ) i see some high end gear there ... , i dont think there will be a problem.

Eduardeo - as a "preview" that looks kickass ! good luck on your way & post some pic's ! im going on the samr path soon ... heh , cant wait !!!
Old 18th November 2006
  #6
TER
Gear maniac
 
TER's Avatar
I see the gear in the avatar... just no place to put it in the plan. Racks take up space, block access to things, get in the way, create reflective surfaces, etc... it's a good idea to model the place with the gear that will be in there so you can get a sense of how much room you'll really have.

-t
Old 18th November 2006
  #7
Registered User
 
cosmos's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TER View Post
I see the gear in the avatar... just no place to put it in the plan. Racks take up space, block access to things, get in the way, create reflective surfaces, etc... it's a good idea to model the place with the gear that will be in there so you can get a sense of how much room you'll really have.

-t
i understand that. you can plan & estimate the look, but you have to take in mind that every room sound diferent, locatiom of racks, sofa's etc.. will change alot of the sound of the room. im going with the aproch of : plan, build up, listen & then move, orginaize, listen again .... how racks will look dosent realy matters to me as long as it sounds good , your studio looks good, how does it sound ?
Old 18th November 2006
  #8
Gear addict
 
ToneRanger's Avatar
 

Looks cool, keep us posted! Man, I really wish I could do this myself sometime in the future.. Dreams...
Old 18th November 2006
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Nice rendering! Is that a SSL AWS 900 you're planning to put there?
Old 18th November 2006
  #10
Lives for gear
 
turk sanchez's Avatar
Man that place just looks AWESOME. I love the aesthetic.
Old 18th November 2006
  #11
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
First thank you all for the support

answering to some comments...


Quote:
Originally Posted by TER View Post
You wil be recording to a machine of some kind, yes? Might want to work that into the plan...

Hard to make a record with a console and 5 speakers...

No outboard? Computer monitors? Keyboards (midi or computer)?

Make sure you have room to put EVERYTHING you'll need in there... it's amazing how quickly spaces fill up with things that are essential to the job which were not in the plans originally. Every control room I've built has ended up stuffed with stuff, regarless how open and spacious it seemed like it would be!

It's amazing how much space a piano takes up, too.

-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
from the avater ( look closley ) i see some high end gear there ... , i dont think there will be a problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TER View Post
I see the gear in the avatar... just no place to put it in the plan. Racks take up space, block access to things, get in the way, create reflective surfaces, etc... it's a good idea to model the place with the gear that will be in there so you can get a sense of how much room you'll really have.

-t
TER,

The rendering was made by the company who made the project: Pilchner Schoustal
The only concern and goal was to give an idea of the space and some finishing details for better understanding of the project.

Cosmos is right, in my avatar you can see my gear and I can tell you that I'm used to put my gear in smaller places heh
I always had smaller places than what I'm building now.
I agree that's amazing how quickly spaces fill up with things.

Here is a bigger pic.



The space that I had was not much to build the studio so it had to be what could fit inside what I had.


Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos View Post
Eduardeo - as a "preview" that looks kickass ! good luck on your way & post some pic's ! im going on the samr path soon ... heh , cant wait !!!
Thanks

I'm mainly posting on my blog because I have other people that go there directly but I'll try to post some info and pics here also.
Old 18th November 2006
  #12
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommylicious View Post
Nice rendering! Is that a SSL AWS 900 you're planning to put there?
The desk was just a "dummy" to put on the rendering.

I am not going to buy a AWS 900
I am looking at the moment is for a Control 24
Old 18th November 2006
  #13
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Cool! Keep us posted
Old 19th November 2006
  #14
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Some updates...


Floating floor structure is done (all by myself!!!)








Rockwool and AC wiring passed through.



Old 19th November 2006
  #15
Gear addict
 
(DC)'s Avatar
 

Eduardo-

Esta ficando muito legal o seu studio cara...
Aonde voce esta em Portugal?

Sou de Brasil mais eu agora estou morando em Boston....

Ow, e o Control 24 e uma otima escholha para Pro Tools. Usei-la em um studio, e usado junto com o hardware que voce tem, voce vai ta sem problemas.

Bem...
Continua a trabalhar e a gente fica em contato!

Abraços
Dante Castro
Old 19th November 2006
  #16
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by (DC) View Post
Eduardo-

Esta ficando muito legal o seu studio cara...
Aonde voce esta em Portugal?

Sou de Brasil mais eu agora estou morando em Boston....

Ow, e o Control 24 e uma otima escholha para Pro Tools. Usei-la em um studio, e usado junto com o hardware que voce tem, voce vai ta sem problemas.

Bem...
Continua a trabalhar e a gente fica em contato!

Abraços
Dante Castro
Dante

Obrigado pelo apoio

Sou de Almancil - Algarve, sul de Portugal
E tu eras de que zona do Brasil?
Abraço
Eduardo "Eddy"

Translation

Dante

Thanks for the support

I am from Almancil - Algarve, south of Portugal
And you were from which brazilian region?
Old 19th November 2006
  #17
Smile

hey,

best of luck with your new space build.

Old 19th November 2006
  #18
Gear addict
 
(DC)'s Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoApolonia View Post
Dante

Obrigado pelo apoio

Sou de Almancil - Algarve, sul de Portugal
E tu eras de que zona do Brasil?
Abraço
Eduardo "Eddy"

Translation

Dante

Thanks for the support

I am from Almancil - Algarve, south of Portugal
And you were from which brazilian region?
I was born in Sao Paulo...

I have been to Evora and Lisboa in Portugal...
beautiful places...
Old 23rd November 2006
  #19
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Some updates

Laying the first floor layer (Particle board)



Old 27th November 2006
  #20
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Very bad news, it's dropping water from the ceiling

It rained all night on the other day and when I entered the room where the studio is being built I had water on the floor that was dropping from the ceilling as you can see on the photos.






I'm really depressed at the moment. I hope that I can find the problem and get that fixed quickly.
What else will happen next!?!?!
Old 27th November 2006
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Tom H's Avatar
 

Damn! dfegad

Sorry to hear that, i know how often it rains in Portugal... not cool

Hang in there. stike
Old 3rd December 2006
  #22
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
update:

After moving the particle boards and the plywood boards (not a easy task to do alone ) to do the parts underneath and fastening more than 600 screws only for the 1st layer I finally finished it.

Next week I'll have the 2nd layer (drywall) installed by the constructor, and then he will take it from there (I hope ) and things will get a lot faster.

Here are the pics:







Old 3rd December 2006
  #23
Lives for gear
 
DirkB's Avatar
 

Great thread!

Just curious: could you give some info on the dimensions of your place? I.e. what is the length&width of the bare space and what will be the inner dimensions of CR and LR?

Keep up the good work!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 3rd December 2006
  #24
Lives for gear
 
DeepSpace's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoApolonia View Post
Very bad news, it's dropping water from the ceiling

It rained all night on the other day and when I entered the room where the studio is being built I had water on the floor that was dropping from the ceilling as you can see on the photos.

I'm really depressed at the moment. I hope that I can find the problem and get that fixed quickly.
What else will happen next!?!?!
Eduardo,
It may seem like a bad thing, but actually it is really good that you found out about that now.

Much easier and cheaper to find it and fix it now than further down the track when a) it might have caused major damage before you detected it and b) it might have cost hugely to locate and correct the problem.

So actually, maybe it's a stroke of luck if you look at it that way.
Old 3rd December 2006
  #25
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Great thread!

Just curious: could you give some info on the dimensions of your place? I.e. what is the length&width of the bare space and what will be the inner dimensions of CR and LR?

Keep up the good work!

Greetings,
Dirk
Dirk,

It's a small studio, the dimensions of the bare space are 11.40mt x 5,30mt, the side walls +/- 4,90mt and the back wall is +/- 5,20mt.

The inner dimensions is hard to tell because both rooms are not rectangle. They have various angles.

But to give you an idea of the CR, the front wall is +/- 3mt, the side walls +/- 4,90mt and the back wall is +/- 5,20mt.

The recording room is +/- 6,60m x 4,90m x 5,50m x 4,90m

Hope that helps


Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
Eduardo,
It may seem like a bad thing, but actually it is really good that you found out about that now.

Much easier and cheaper to find it and fix it now than further down the track when a) it might have caused major damage before you detected it and b) it might have cost hugely to locate and correct the problem.

So actually, maybe it's a stroke of luck if you look at it that way.
That was actually the only good part of it
I had thought about it as you said. It would be a nightmare to find the water on the finished ceilling.
Old 3rd December 2006
  #26
Lives for Jesus
 
stevep's Avatar
More Pics !!!heh



Place is looking nice

Did you fix the leak ?



Old 4th December 2006
  #27
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
More Pics !!!heh



Place is looking nice

Did you fix the leak ?




Hi Steve,

It isn't fixed yet but the possible cause is identified. It's from a terrace above.

It's looking nice but nothing compared to your place!!!!
I found the thread about your studio construction a few days ago and I am digesting it thumbsup Great work! For what I've seen so far you did almost all the work, right?

I don't have much time to do it and I wasn't supposed to be doing it, but I couldn't wait any longer tutt
The guy that is going to build it told me that he had a lot of work and it would take some time to start it, and then I said to him "I don't start it myself because I don't have the tools to do it" and he said "no problem I'll loan you my tools meanwhile". And that's how I started doing it.

I'm doing it when I have some free lunch time and when I can from 1am till 4-5am (not a typo )
Old 6th December 2006
  #28
Lives for gear
 
EduardoApolonia's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
I did some studio cleaning heh Some better pics of the first floor layer.






My dogs playing in the studio


Some good music for a good work


My high end monitor system heh
Old 6th December 2006
  #29
Lives for gear
 
dim light's Avatar
 

Looks great! Kvinno kraft wants to be your space friend!
Old 8th December 2006
  #30
Gear maniac
 
Playback's Avatar
 

Looks good!!

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 
 
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
FOURTHTUNZ / Studio building / acoustics
25
Jimmy C / The Good News Channel
19
rjay / So much gear, so little time!
0
SpeedKing9 / So much gear, so little time!
17

Forum Jump