The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!

Hi all,
I thought would post pics documenting my studio upgrade / build out as I love to follow these types of threads and watch the progress from beginning to end.
Some basic background info to read ( if you are interested).

Project: I am adding a control room and iso/vocal booth to my one room project studio based in my home (garage). I am all treating all rooms acoustically where needed and adding a 32 channel Tonelux Console, Radar 6 and patch bay for my outboard gear. Also adding ductless mini split air conditioning and separate clean hospital grade power for the studio.

Inspiration: In a nutshell…my dad. I had a life changing experience in Jersey this past summer dealing with my dad’s passing and my mom’s onset of dementia related to her Alzheimer’s. This is on top of my sister passing the year before.
I learned that life is too short and if you want to do something in life you can talk about doing it or get busy doing it….so be it.
My dad introduced me to good music and throughout our lives we spent time enjoying it. he loved Maui and always hung out in my studio when we were jamming or recording. He left me some inheritance and instead of blowing it on going out to eat and buying “stuff” or saving it for a rainy day I decided to use it along with some of my own hard earned savings to follow my dream. Besides music people always seem to just come into my life…so I go with it.

My Approach: I believe in and enjoy getting everybody in one room and playing the song. I love the old school workflow. I love the creative process and the interaction. I basically taught myself how to record over the years by experimenting, trial and error and a lot of research. I started with a VCR, cassette multi-track, reel to reel, adats, HD24 etc. I always used some type of analogue console, be it lower end (Tascam, Mackie and recently the Toft) so the Tonelux will be my first true high end console. I never have used a computer for mixing, hence the choice to go Tonelux and Radar 6, it fits my workflow perfectly. I have upgraded my gear slowly through the years and really got to know each piece. It was a good way to go as it pretty much matched my experience level.

Although I charge for what I do I don’t rely on it to make a living as I have been a chef all my life (currently teach at the university here so I have time to record). This gives me the luxury to do projects I believe in with people I enjoy being around and being creative with. Don’t mind all the hours but it’s gotta be fun. If I only do a few good projects a year, be part of making some good music and get to have a great playroom on top of it!... that’s fine by me.

The People Involved: You can’t do something like this with good people involved (nor would I want). This project has been “pono” as we say in Hawaii and people just seemed to come together and things just keep happening with a life of their own (happens a lot in Hawaii if you let it).
Gary Meyerburg Lauter, who recently moved to Maui is doing the studio design and technical stuff on site. Gary has a lot of experience with studios. (A&M, Cello and East West)
I met Gary by chance a few years back through my very good friend Jonathan Starr (who has a sweet studio on Maui). I actually met Jonathan through gearslutz! After hanging and talking with Gary at length about music, recording and jamming together we seem to have the same ideas about it so he seemed perfect for the job…not to mention he knows his stuff and can fix anything which is HARD to find on Maui.

Special thanks to Alan Hyatt and the good folks at PMI including Paul Wolff who designed and created the Tonelux console as you all may know. I met Alan after I bought my ATB a bunch of years back. I called him to ask some questions and learned he lived on Maui part of the year. We hooked up and I found out Alan is hell of a guitar player so we started playing together. We share a passion for playing and recording music and we just LOVE all things related to guitars and amps! Between him and I we have quite the arsenal. He has since become a great friend here on Maui and we play and record together whenever we get a chance. After getting to know Alan and his company, experiencing their great service and seeing and hearing the quality of the Tonelux and trident stuff in my studio it seemed like a no brainer to go with the Tonelux small format console and HG3 monitors…perfect fit for my place.
Olaf Mitchell and Tom Krebs are doing all the construction. These guys are top notch and Olaf is a master carpenter. Jonathan Starr is also a great carpenter and is going to build the stands for my HG3 monitors. Scott Hasson of Studio wiring is doing the patchbays and breakout boxes.

OK,,,now for the pics! We started about a month ago so I will start will how it looked before and add in the days to follow until I am up to current stage of the build....

Enjoy!

How it used to look.

Behind blue/lavender door in first picture is laundry room (new control room!) and red cutrain in corner (new vocal/iso booth).

Garage door behind the drum kit.....

Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

basic design

Room layout......

Front wall of control room and window.....

Rear wall of control room...

Electrical...

Old 24th December 2012
Gear nut

Looking forward to the build out. Sounds like a fun project.

Thank God for awesome Dads! And the legacy they leave behind we need more of them.
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Ray View Post
Looking forward to the build out. Sounds like a fun project.

Thank God for awesome Dads! And the legacy they leave behind we need more of them.
hell yeah,
If I end up being half the man my dad was when I am gone that will be saying something.

Got a pretty good budget I am trying to stick to. Funds are not unlimited...I have to re-do the kitchen for the the other half, already did the new laundry room..or...........haha
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tearing it all down

Ya gotta break everything down before putting it all back together...

Toft ATB packed and sold. Sold some outboard..API 3124, avalon2055, ADL600, Pacifica. All cabling packed up. Keeping old monitors for live room.

Time to demo walls next!
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-old-studio-2_n.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-breaking-down-gear.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-breaking-down-gear-2.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-cleaning-out-studio.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-toft-packed-up-sold.jpg  

Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-live-room-monitors.jpg  
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear
It's awesome to honor your father in this way.

Best of luck to you and yours!
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

Wall demo time

Thanks You...will try to do it all justice.

Tear down the wall...as Pink Floyd would say..........

Ran into a bit of a problem off right off the bat. We wanted to extend the laundry room/control room out a bit but the wall was a load bearing wall with my kitchen sitting above it! Didnt want to bring in the expense of a structural engineer etc so we compromised a bit and brought the wall out as an alcove where the control room window and console would sit. We expanded the header some and it came out good.

load bearing wall of laundry room.

expanding the header

framing out the control room a few extra feet. This moved the wall out into the live room but it was basically the same space my old rig was sitting in so will still have alot of room in the live room.

Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

more wall demo...garage door and electrical panel, I had another wall added outside the garage door a few years back to help with sound...that has to come down too.
Also made a make shift door our of the wall panel to get materials in and out without having to go through the house and trashing the hardwood floors...not to mention the dogs barking!
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-electric-panel.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-garage-door-demo_n.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-garage-door-gone.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-make-shift-studio-entrance_o.jpg  
Old 24th December 2012
SRS
Lives for gear

Nice work. I am sure you will have fun... and in the end, you will enjoy the fruits of your (and others') labor. Maybe next time I am in Maui I can visit.
Old 24th December 2012
Gear nut

Hey Croaker I was wondering what you were going to do with the floor leave it as is

Or build another one on top of it?
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Nice work. I am sure you will have fun... and in the end, you will enjoy the fruits of your (and others') labor. Maybe next time I am in Maui I can visit.
absolutely!!
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown Ray View Post
Hey Croaker I was wondering what you were going to do with the floor leave it as is

Or build another one on top of it?
Gary wants to leave the concrete floor in the live room. We are gonna acid wash it, see if it etches and then stain it. Probably some throw rugs around.

For the control room and vocal booth.... bamboo flooring.

We are not trying to isolate the room from the rest of the house..its just too much and I am not recording every single day.
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

material arrives

trying to catch up with pics to bring everything up to date.

Stuff on order...Laminated glass for control room, fire rated doors, glass slider, OC703. Some stuff is a pain to get in Maui. The famous phrase here is...4 to 6 weeks!!

Thanks to Jonathan Starr for lending me his stock of OC703 until mine comes!
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-materials-arrive.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-green-glue.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-green-glue-gun.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-oc-703.jpg  
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tonelux and gear stuff

Tonelux bought and paid for! I believe this will be the first 32 channel built in console form.

Configuration:
The console is not fully loaded, this will get me started plus i have a bunch of outboard gear...budget constraints

4) TR8P+ Buss assign Module
12) TR8P
16) EQ4P Eq Module
32) MX2 Aux Module
8) TXC Compressor Module
12) MP1 Mic Pre Module
4) FX2P Fx Return Module
1) SM2 Summing Buss Module
1) CR2 Control Room Module
1) TB1 Talkback Module
36) Faders Mono
1) Fader Stereo
4 SEND faders
32 VU meters
2 stereo meters

early mock up pic

frame being assembled

Radar 6...bought and paid for!

going with 24 track Ultra Nyquist...no session controller..budget contraints.

Patch bays from studio wiring being sent out for screening. Studio breakout boxes being wired.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-building-stage-boxes_o.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-d-sub-ready-solder_o.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-wiring-console.jpg  
Old 25th December 2012
Lives for gear

Control room sound wall

OK..these pics will take us up to date on the control room sound wall.

Beginning:

To now:

As ZZ TOP would say....And all points in between......
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-control-room-3_n.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-control-room-6.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-iso-booth-1.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-control-room-9.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-back-wall-control-room.jpg  

Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-wall.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-control-room-1.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-control-room-2.jpg  
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Labor of Love

What an incredible project. RADAR and Tonelux..... nothing but the best and rock solid. Sounds like you are having a good time.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
What an incredible project. RADAR and Tonelux..... nothing but the best and rock solid. Sounds like you are having a good time.
Hey Jon,
Im tryin too! Labor of love is right on, this project has special meaning for me. Yesterday was the first Christmas I had in 54 years without my dad. I was thinking how we used to just hang out and listen to jazz and blues records or cds.

....Gonna finish sanding and cleaning up the sheet rock today..hope to get primer on walls today.
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Tom and I have gotten to be very good friends, and we love to play and record together. I love Tom's laid back philosophy and his humble approach as to why he is doing all of this.

I am happy to be a part of it and contribute to his project in the best way I can. Yep, Tom is getting a very good deal from me on all the gear, but at the same time, he is a friend, so what are friends for???

Its going to be another very cool place to record on Maui, and another good place for me to work. So what to go Tom. I am very happy for you and I know you are going to get years of enjoyment out of this, and yes, you are right, life is short so as Andy Dufrain said,(for those that know the book or movie) "best get busy livin or best get busy dyin". I am glad Tom is getting busy living!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanhyatt View Post
Tom and I have gotten to be very good friends, and we love to play and record together. I love Tom's laid back philosophy and his humble approach as to why he is doing all of this.

I am happy to be a part of it and contribute to his project in the best way I can. Yep, Tom is getting a very good deal from me on all the gear, but at the same time, he is a friend, so what are friends for???

Its going to be another very cool place to record on Maui, and another good place for me to work. So what to go Tom. I am very happy for you and I know you are going to get years of enjoyment out of this, and yes, you are right, life is short so as Andy Dufrain said,(for those that know the book or movie) "best get busy livin or best get busy dyin". I am glad Tom is getting busy living!
Thanks Alan, what you have helped me with is much appreciated, more than I can put into words. In my mind the best way you can help is to come over enjoy the studio with me. After all it is a place for people and friends to come together and create.
Love that story and quote.....yes that came to mind! When you get older and the people you know and love start having health problems and are passing away, it is definitely a wake up call... (A good friend Bob Jones, true bluesman and collaborator of mine comes to mind).
All the little things we complain about or obsess over are meaningless in comparison. So get some people in a room, turn on your gear, whatever it may be and use it and enjoy the process of making music...! aloha
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croaker View Post
Thanks Alan, what you have helped me with is much appreciated, more than I can put into words. In my mind the best way you can help is to come over enjoy the studio with me. After all it is a place for people and friends to come together and create.
Love that story and quote.....yes that came to mind! When you get older and the people you know and love start having health problems and are passing away, it is definitely a wake up call... (A good friend, true bluesman and collaborator of mine comes to mind).
All the little things we complain about or obsess over are meaningless in comparison. So get some people in a room, turn on your gear, whatever it may be and use it and enjoy the process of making music...! aloha
Yep, no Crystal Ball for us my friend. When you get older and hopefully wiser, you need to start doing what you love now, before it is too late. I respect that Tom.

As for our friend, I wish you could bring him over tonight. You on bass, us on guitars, plug into the amps, open a mic and let the drum program rip... I am sure it cannot happen as he has so much to do before leaving tomorrow night, but it would be cool. Kind of one for the road!

Again, wish him well for me, and I was so glad I was able to help him with that flight. I need all the good Karma I can get!
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Well in my book you just got a **** load!!
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

Room aesthetic

The room aesthetic is evolving as we go along. I am thinking, simple clean and open. One color for the control room and one color for the live room with some accents.

Olaf is building a wood desk with the same wood that he is finishing the control room window detail with. Gobos from the same wood for consistency in look.

The back sound wall of the control room will have Guilford of Maine fabric for the panels. It just arrived and is beautiful..much more so in person that of pics on website. Also used on gobos.

Guilford Of Maine Fabric

Bamboo flooring in the control room and vocal booth...got a deal on a leftover batch from a large project. Gary was thinking of using some type of cool bamboo frame or lattice to construct the cloud over the desk...should be cool

Live room concrete floor will be acid washed and if it etches stained with some throw rugs

I picked up a cool print from Rick Vitos art collection. He did some recording at my place and thought it would be a nice touch. He is in Maui this week to play at Fleetwoods with the Mick Fleetwood Blues Band.

Rick Vito Art

Ordered some nice copper wall sconces with patina finish from Latigo lighting. From the picks I chose the pattern on the rectangle sconce but in the round shape of the other one. LED track lighting on the live room ceilings.

Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-bamboo-flooring-1.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-guilford-maine-2-2-.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-guilford-3.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-vito-print.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-wall-color-choices.jpg  

Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-wall-sconce-1.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-wall-sconce-2.jpg  
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

This is just a pleasure to see developing. Your dad would be proud and now that we have met and know each other, I know your humble and unselfish way will bring great things to your room buddy. I have a feeling it's going to be much more then you expect in the way of popularity. It was a great hang coming down there and next time I promise not to have the flu chest cold thingy .

Just awesome.....

I don't see any layout for the new kitchen yet though! LOL ..K I will keep that to myself.

You have a great lady putting up with all this ....I know .I do too.

Love the sconces....if you are dimming make sure you don't buy cheap.

I can't wait to hear some tracks. Very cool.
Old 28th December 2012
Lives for gear

oh crap the kitchen layout!!!!

thx man..hopefully we will get to use it together in the future to make some good music.

Gonna prime the walls on Saturday. Electrician is coming next week to do his thing.
Old 28th December 2012
Gear Addict

beautiful - gonna be very, very nice...
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Maui no ka oi!! Lol..

Cant wait to see more pics...I didn't read every word in this post but are u guys considering acoustics when u build the control room?

I too was a chef/recording engineer lol; cooked at Ninikuya, Bras du Vin, Aaron's, and other lesser known spots in HNL. Sorry to hear about ur father but glad to see ur bumping up the legacy
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLiRD808 View Post
Maui no ka oi!! Lol..

Cant wait to see more pics...I didn't read every word in this post but are u guys considering acoustics when u build the control room?

I too was a chef/recording engineer lol; cooked at Ninikuya, Bras du Vin, Aaron's, and other lesser known spots in HNL. Sorry to hear about ur father but glad to see ur bumping up the legacy
hey thanks man, appreciate that.
Yes, Gary Meyerburg is doing design/acoustics. We didn't have total control over the shape of the control room due to the load bearing wall we were dealing with. Major structural changes were out of the scope and budget of the project so we are working with what he have. if you look at the design sketches the whole back wall is open framed with OC703 and insulation covered with frames of the Guillford of main fabric. there will be a cloud over the listening position. Once we get the room finished and speakers in place we will see what lobing we have. Might have to do some more room treatment.

The live room has always sounded pretty good. Again once we get back in the space we will do some measurements and treatment where need be.

Let me know if you are ever in Maui. I an teaching at Maui Culinary Academy. I run the fine dining restaurant at the school. ...aloha!
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

Painting

primer and first coat is done. halogen lights used by the construction guys make the color look weird in the control pics (its not pink I swear!!!)..but you get the idea.

Windows removed, framed in, insulated and finishing outside to match the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-finishing-garage-wall.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-painting-2.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-painting3.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-painting4.jpg   Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-painting1.jpg  

Tonelux, Radar and Maui...OH MY!-window-1.jpg  
Old 31st December 2012
Gear nut

Ok 12' ceilings thats nice, that will make for a good live room. I don't know why but I

thought it was lower. I like your choice on the round sconces,in the pic with the color of the wall they look a little lava lampish.

I have been a Bricklayer for 35 years for 25 of those years I wore long sleeved
buttoned up all cotton shirts (wow I hit the k instead of the h on shirt glade I caught
that) anyway, a lot of them were pink. Real men ware pink that was my motto,
and yes I had to say it a lot.

Looking good. Ray
Old 31st December 2012
Lives for gear

thanks Ray,

ya i love the ceilings...one of the reasons I bought the house many years back. always knew it was gonna be my studio room.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search