FINALLY building my new studio desk!
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

FINALLY building my new studio desk!

***UPDATED PHOTOS ON #22***

I thought I would show you guys a drawing of the desk I am going to start building this week. I just learned how to use Google draw the other day, so I know it's not the best, but at least you can see somewhat what it will look like. I will post photos of the progress.

The 88-note keyboard shelf will retract in all the way and out to 15". The right lower cabinet will house my PC in which I am designing a baffle system to keep it nice and quiet...with adequate air circulation. My JBL speakers will be located on stands just behind the angled section left/right behind the monitors....and will slide back when I need to hear a mix without the monitors getting in the way. the bottom left space will house various rack mounted gear.

Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Here are some shots from the desk construction. Sorry, I forgot to get some earlier in the construction. This puppy should be finished within a few days.

Front

Sides

Old 20th May 2012
Looks like a million buks....

Can't wait to see it when it's finished.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Looks great!
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks guys. More progress:

Doh! I did a little mess up with the area that the Mackie Big Knob will go on the right. I have to move it to the right and add an slight extension to the front right desk top. Easy fix since I am working with an accomplished carpenter....thank God!

My PC will get plenty of air with the quiet, but powerful fan unit.

There will also be more holes added for cables which can be hidden. I want everything to look as neat as humanly possible. There will also be lights installed in the back of the PC area, the rear of the rack area, and behind the audio interface area so I can easily see when plugging stuff in.

The idea for the desk is ergonomics. I have a bad back, neck, and shoulders....and eyes....and I'm only 43. Doh! The goal is the make daily composing as easy on my body as possible.
Old 21st May 2012
Make sure you can take it apart in at least three parts. Or else it will be one heavy m...f...r..
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Make sure you can take it apart in at least three parts. Or else it will be one heavy m...f...r..
That was the first thing I thought of when designing it. It will be in several pieces then assembled at my home studio.
Old 21st May 2012
Gear maniac

This already looks gorgeous! Can't wait to see it finished.
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Getting the "skin" put on the top section. We may have it completed by tomorrow evening.

Old 22nd May 2012
Gear interested

Wow, you're moving on pretty fast! I can't wait to see it finished! :D
Old 22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Doh! I made a mistake by incorrectly measuring the height of my PC and now have to make a modification which will set me and my carpenter friend back a day. Thank God I brought the PC to the shop to test the fit before it was finished.
Old 25th June 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry for the long delay, but without further adieu here it is:

The keyboard slides completely out, but stays tucked in when mixing/editing. The monitors also slide up closer when my 43 year-old eyes get tired. I will also be adding a door in front of the PC cabinet with a glass window

Old 25th June 2012
Gear interested

Wow. Dude, that is such an awesome desk! Good work!
Old 25th June 2012
Gear interested

Wow, that one really turned out awesome!
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Thank guys! I've been dreaming of building this for many years and it is finally great to see it all come to fruition.
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Looks great, man. Nice work!
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

What was the cost if I may ask?
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Great desk--surprised no one has commented on the nice shop it was built in.

One thing that some might consider in designing a desk is installing monitor support arms to have more flexibility in positioning your monitor displays.
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Great desk--surprised no one has commented on the nice shop it was built in.

One thing that some might consider in designing a desk is installing monitor support arms to have more flexibility in positioning your monitor displays.
I almost did that, but in the end opted for the easier sliding shelf method.
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDingo View Post
What was the cost if I may ask?
My carpenter friend did the bulk of the main work since he has a nice shop and way more experience. I designed it and gave him all the Google SketchUp diagrams which made it easy for him. The cost for materials and labor was under 2k. It would of easily cost double that price to have that quality custom piece purchased through a commercial builder. For example: Sterling Modular "Plan D" Console | Sweetwater.com
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

I just completed phase 2 of my home studio in Boise, Idaho. A new custom desk build, new furniture, and new gear....YES!!!

Old 23rd July 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 View Post
I just completed phase 2 of my home studio in Boise, Idaho. A new custom desk build, new furniture, and new gear....YES!!!
Old 14th August 2012
Gear Head

It appears that you are using 4 drawer slides...two underneath and two on the sides for the keyboard shelf. What brand and model numbers did you use if I may ask? Great job!
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Head

Looks awesome, thinking about building one myself for quite a while know, this is certainly an insiration.

Btw, is that Lacewood veneer you've used as skin?
Old 4th September 2012
Gear Head

My selfmade 200$ Studiodesk

Attached Thumbnails
FINALLY building my new studio desk!-dsc_1154.jpg   FINALLY building my new studio desk!-dsc_1168.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

Un freaking believable. I love it so much. fap fap fap fap
Old 3rd March 2013
Quote:

nice job man!
Old 6th March 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks guys! I made a few other minor changes to my setup like new Focal Twins. I'll try and post some more pics later this month.
Old 7th March 2013
Lives for gear

Awesome vibe
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search