The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building my own studio in a basement Dynamics Plugins
Old 15th March 2017
Gear Nut

Building my own studio in a basement

Hi Guys!

My first post on gearslutz. Been a member for a while but haven´t really had the time on posting anything. But now I think I got something you might find interesting.

About a year ago I bought a house and have had the need to have a pro mixing room in that house. The room is in a basement and is quite small. For this task I hired Claes Olsson at Eora sound engineering to do the construction for me and now I in the middle of the building. I´m doing all the building myself, but have really close contact with Claes and he is telling me what to do :-)

I will update this thread when the building progress. I will give you some pictures now of what I´ve done so far. Hopefully someone can find it useful and it´s totally ok for Claes that I do this :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-file_001.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-file_004.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-file_003.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-file_005.jpg  
Old 15th March 2017
Lives for gear

Looks promising.... keep us updated.
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks! I definitely will!
Old 16th March 2017
Lives for gear

Interesting

Nice pictures and thanks for sharing!

Control room builds, starting from an empty ”shoe box” (with heavy walls), are always interesting! What are the dimensions of your shell?

As GS-members love to see acustical measurements…
You don’t happen to have measurements (REW?) from the empty (or near emty) room?

Best
Old 16th March 2017
Gear Nut

Claes did measurements before, so he has all that stuff. But when the room is done I´m gonna ask if I can have the before and after measurements to share with you :-)

Best
Old 17th March 2017
Gear Nut

Update, on Monday the electric company is gonna do their thing. They work close together with Claes så the electricity is gonna be top notch. It´s gonna be a separate grounding just for the studio. And if it´s necessary we are gonna use transformer if the grounding is making noise.

The first idea was to have a own ground plate, but it´s not a option in my location.
Best
Old 22nd March 2017
Gear Nut

Hi

Now the electricity is done. The whole room now has a own feed and grounding so I wont get any hum or something like that :-) New led-lights is also mounted on the ceiling. In the front there are gonna be 2d diffusors between the lights and absorbers between the light and the wall in the ceiling.

Now I´m gonna continue to seal the basstraps after the electrician has made some holes and then fill it upp with wool and seal the lit. Will also start making the 2d diffusors in a couple of days.

Best
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2579.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2580.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2581.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2585.jpg  
Old 23rd March 2017
Lives for gear

How high is your ceiling? I am currently in a room over my garage, been contemplating building out and moving to basement. Following.
Old 23rd March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngraber View Post
How high is your ceiling? I am currently in a room over my garage, been contemplating building out and moving to basement. Following.
Hi

the ceiling is 2m or 6 feet. But that was not a problem when I was talking to Claes :-)

Best
Old 25th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders F View Post
Hi

the ceiling is 2m or 6 feet. But that was not a problem when I was talking to Claes :-)

Best
man. thats low. curious to see your results.
Old 25th March 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynngraber View Post
man. thats low. curious to see your results.
Yes I know. First I didn´t think we could do anything in this room cause of the ceiling. But when Claes was here he said that we are gonna make it work and even maybe be able to do some serious recordings in the room. But I call him mr magic :-) I´m really exciting to see the results also when it´s done :-)

EDIT: The room is being constructed in RT30 because it so small

Best
Old 5th April 2017
Gear Nut

A small update

I´m waiting for the Glasswool with the density I want. I had to order it. But in the meantime I have done some painting and started to make my 2d diffusors. When I was checking the web for tips on making them I realized that a lot of people are doing them the way the accousticians told was important I didn´t do. For example, people just glue them togheter without really press them togheter. People don´t use frames to give it seperation and they use rounded cornes on the wood. All this was big no no from Claes. Also I see a lot of people using the standard mesurements 45X45mm instead of 43X43mm, and that was also something Claes told me was important I didnt do. I tried first to make all the wood with a tablesaw, but I can tell you that this was not a good idea. So I went to a friend and used a planer and it was much better results and the mesurements was close to 1/10mm. Anyway, here is a small picture of the wood, ready to be glued and put in frame. Taking it time though cause I´m gonna make 9 pieces. The picture shows the wood for one piece :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2603.jpg  
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Nut

Hi Guys. Here are some updates from my buildings :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2647.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2646.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2645.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2644.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2642.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Nut

This is interesting! I know Claes designed Fascination Street Studios so he certainly know what he's talking about.

Really interested how he's going to solve the standing wave related to height with only 2 meters to work with. I'm following this thread for sure.

*edit* Nice pictures BTW!
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Nut

Yes, He is truly amazing. I´m really looking forward to see the final measurements. What is also amazing is that Claes think we might even be able to record drums in the same room, but he cant promise anything :-) In the ceeling we are gonna use 2d diffusors and absorbers placed over the room. The side walls is gonna have absorb-panels placed on places he decides when he´s doing the final measurements. The back wall is gonna have more wool and 1d diffusors.
Old 23rd April 2017
Gear Guru

Interesting

Should be an interesting thread. It would get more long term viewing if you could get a Moderator to move it over to https://www.gearslutz.com/board/phot...tion-projects/

I note the ceiling appears to be made of boards. If these have a gap behind them, perhaps with insulation in there, this is a massive bass trap. For drum overheads, you could place mics extremely close to that ceiling, perhaps omnis. but cardioid will work too. In this position they will become PZM's. No boundary no reflection no problem.

DD
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Nut

Thanks DanDan. Did miss the sub forum :-) about the ceiling there is air and I think it might be some wool. Over the ceiling is a outdoor room so It might be the savior for this project. :-)
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Guru

Limp Bag

Newell refers to spaces with such light boundaries as "Limp Bag". Lucky.
DD
Old 24th April 2017
Gear Nut

Yeah, sometime you need some luck :-) Now the two Helmholtz in the front corner is all done and sealed :-) For those who are interested the hole is 10mm and has a spacing at 50mm. The measurements of the box is one side 850mm and the other side is 700mm. and the "sidewall" is 400mm out from the original wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2648.jpg  
Old 27th April 2017
Gear Nut

So, I have met my first speed bump in the process. It´s the skyline diffusors. My wood wasn´t dry enough so the wood has become oblique. But there is light in the tunnel since I have a woodshop in my town and they can help me get really dry wood and make it the right measurements (43x43). So a tip if you gonna make skyline. Make sure the wood is really dry and make the rule with a planer at a pro woodshop so it is really straight.
Old 29th April 2017
Gear Nut

Done even more to the front wall :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2656.jpg  
Old 1st May 2017
Gear Nut

This is what I made this weekend. The lit on the tunnels are completly sealed so we can tune them later :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2663.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2665.jpg  
Old 2nd May 2017
Lives for gear

Looking good...
Old 2nd May 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
Looking good...
Thanks! Yeah, It´s starting to come togheter :-)
Old 14th May 2017
Gear Nut

More wool. The front Wall is just gonna have paint, fabric and finally Ecophon.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2686.jpg  
Old 5th June 2017
Gear Nut

Building some diffusors for the back Wall :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2906.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2904.jpg   Building my own studio in a basement-img_2905.jpg  
Old 6th June 2017
Gear Nut

Today we did some measurements to see where we are at. Even the accoustician was suprised how good the results are even now. The room got an A+ grade from the program and we are not even done yet. Even in the back of the room it was really good. There were no room modes. So the accoustician said congrats and told me that the room can also be used to record live drums when it is as good as this :-) I´m so happy and want to finish it and see the final results :-)
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

And now there is two diffusors on the back Wall :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Building my own studio in a basement-img_2910.jpg  
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

This looks awesome Anders!
Old 7th June 2017
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonzthro View Post
This looks awesome Anders!
Thanks! So happy to hear that!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search