The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
shed conversion in progress
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

shed conversion in progress

Here are some pics of my shed getting the rebirth of a lifetime. I am converting one bay of a five bay shed. Each bay is 9.2m long and 4.2 wide. The ceiling is 2.7m at one end, rising to 3.4 at the other; I have acoustically absorbant ceiling tiles which hang below the true ceiling on a grid system which will be installed later. The floor is concrete. I got real builders in because I dont understand either straight or square and they installed the sliding door, two windows and put studs where studs should go. I will do the rest. The floor needs to be sealed which is my next job. Note the bay built into one wall; it used to house a air compressor and will become a amp box. It is big enough to easily get a full cab into it, maybe two.shed conversion in progress-img_0053.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0056.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0085.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0084.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0083.jpg
Old 7th September 2014
Ooh, this looks like an exciting build - I'll be following this one with great interest. What are the plans for the layout of the room?
It looks a nice size too, I'll be building something similar (but a bit smaller) so I'll be interested to see how this build pans out.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Its going to be a one room jobbie. Desk and monitoring at the lower end of the building and a more performance space at the end with the sliding door. It's going to be a bit live end/dead end. I have heaps of 50mm rigid fibreglass for making into bass trapping (20 sheets of 1.2m x 2.4m) and access to lots of nice timber for reflective surfaces where they are needed. The final floor finish is a bit of an unknown but will possibly be a mix of things. I am expecting the whole job to cost about $10,000.
Old 9th September 2014
Lives for gear

Put the first coat of an epoxy sealant on the floor today to stop any damp coming up through the concrete. It wasn't as easy to apply as the photo on the box implied. I also thought that I had filled most of the holes and that the floor was pretty smooth. Wrong. The epoxy was a much stiffer brew than I expected and didn't flow into the dips as I expected. Where the floor met the wall I had to use a brush to apply as it just didnt flow/drip off the roller at all. It was a bit like marshmellow mix, if anybody has ever made their own. I have to get the second/final coat on within 48hrs or the first coat has to be sanded with 100 grade sandpaper. That is not going to happen, even though I have to de-horn and vaccinate 103 calves in the morning, it will be finished tomorrow arvo. The second coat will go on much easier than the first. Those of you with eagle eyes will notice the remains of an old bench left in my nice to be in room. This is because
A. I want a bench to work on things on; soldering and inventing etc
B. The poles that held up the old bench are cemented into the ground
C. Underneath the bench will be one storage shelf and under that a bass trap.
shed conversion in progress-img_0094.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0096.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0097.jpg
Old 9th September 2014
Incredibly excited to see this build, this is about the size of space I've been looking to put a project studio in, so I'm very excited to see what you do with it! :D
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

Second coat of epoxy sealant has just gone on to the floor. It was easier than the first but still sticky. I used two pots for the first coat and not quite one for the second. The first coat still seemed tacky to me but the instructions said the second can be applied anytime between 8-48 hrs after the first coat so I hope it's ok; its been 24hrs in this case. Looks a nice white floor.
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

Made an array of diffusers while waiting for the electrician to turn up. The floor still seems to get a bit damp, but it could just be the humidity after 2 inches of rain overnight. I have enough epoxy left to do a third coat if I have to but I would have to sand the floor first to prepare the surface as it has gone hard now. Loath to do that, i must say. shed conversion in progress-img_0129.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0130.jpg
Old 13th September 2014
Lives for gear

What sealant did you use on the concrete?

Also what type of wood is that on the diffusors?
Old 14th September 2014
Lives for gear

The sealant was an water-based epoxy called Sika Damp-stop. The wood is old fence posts made from Totora wood which is a New Zealand native conifer. These posts are well over 100 years old. See also my post on making them at my fencepost diffusor

I have never been so handy.

They are all random angles and wood densitys; they may not be overly specific but they do look nice. We are also surrounded by totora so it's nice to have a bit of outside inside.
Old 22nd September 2014
Lives for gear

I've insulated and lined the back wall and along the outside with ply. shed conversion in progress-img_0150.jpg shed conversion in progress-img_0151.jpgI am now working on sanding some old rimu (native hardwood) planks I liberated from one of the sheds on our farm for part of the wall down the live end. They will look primo once they are oiled. shed conversion in progress-img_0157.jpg I had to extract some nails before sanding; you know they are old when the nails are hand forged!! shed conversion in progress-img_0159.jpg I've bought a roll of calico for lining over the absorbant and it should be here in a few days. Everything seems to take a lot longer than I thought it would and I am working at the extreme of my personal handiness. It is hard not to jump ahead with some things but I want to do this right and I could easily **** it up by not thinking the process through a few steps in advance.

Does anyone have an opinion as to weather planks on walls are aesthetically better horizontal or vertical? It's probably obvious to experienced interior decorators but it's a mystery to me.

I will put the nails back in the wood for posterity once oiled.
Old 2nd October 2014
Lives for gear

Getting all the absorbant installed on the walls and and the front dead end. The big panels of 50mm rigid totally rock for easy coverage. The rest will have to be cut to size. It was good while it lasted. I have watched a couple of youtube vids on how to install the ceiling. Doesn't look too hard, if everything is straight, level, square and you have all the right tools and some help.shed conversion in progress-img_0171.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0178.jpg
Old 3rd October 2014
Gear Nut

Cool build! I like your rustic farm approach to decor!
Old 13th October 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
Made an array of diffusers while waiting for the electrician to turn up. The floor still seems to get a bit damp, but it could just be the humidity after 2 inches of rain overnight. I have enough epoxy left to do a third coat if I have to but I would have to sand the floor first to prepare the surface as it has gone hard now. Loath to do that, i must say. Attachment 419220

Attachment 419221
Not sure how well those diffusers are going to work as there isn't much variance in depth and it doesn't seem to be based around any erm... science too much, but on the other hand they do look great which in my opinion is also important for good sounds!

Looking forward to seeing more of the build.

Freya
Old 4th November 2014
Gear Head
Looking good mate. Will be watching this space!
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

I've almost finished getting the fabric (calico) on the walls. Thanks heaps to Jules Evans for the support and the experience to know I needed a compressed air stapler for getting it up with. This is not a job for a manual staple gun unless you never want to use your wrist again.
Old 6th November 2014
Lives for gear

heres some photos of the walls so far. They are going to look fine. Hoping to get the ceiling in this weekend; if got the laser level sorted from the hire shop, now just need a helper and some time. Once the ceiling is in place I can build my bass traps and put some nice bits up. Cant wait.shed conversion in progress-img_0220.jpg

shed conversion in progress-img_0223.jpg
Old 8th November 2014
Lives for gear

Big effort last night and today. Finished the walls last night and then today my brother Paul came around and we got the ceiling grid up and started getting the tiles in. It is going to look sooo cool when its finished. Getting the grid up was a bit nerve wracking for a couple of not so handies and we got to see just how out-of-square the room is; I guess thats hard to avoid when retro-fitting and old farm shed. The tiles go a different direction than I had imagined but thats rock'n'roll for ya. trying to get a pic up but its not letting me do attachments at the moment.
Old 9th November 2014
Gear Maniac

Great to see another New Zealand build, where are you in gods own?
Old 9th November 2014
Lives for gear

Golden Bay. Just got the ceiling in today. It looks beautiful. I cant upload any attachment photos at the moment tho for some reason the gearslutz reply app doesn't work as it has. Where are you?
Old 15th November 2014
Gear Nut

Mate you should try some hessian scrim instead of the calico, IMO it would look better in context with your wood fence post diffusors.

Anyway you could use some of that on the bass traps etc for contrast.

Looks like a nice build out by the way!

(Hi from Greymouth)
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chugbry View Post
Mate you should try some hessian scrim instead of the calico, IMO it would look better in context with your wood fence post diffusors.

I did look at hessian but it looked a bit dusty on its own.
Old 15th November 2014
Gear Nut

Yeah true the hessian can have kind of hairy bits come off it. I have some traps I built with it
and they are fine cause they're stationary. But I have some I made for isolating a piano
and they can shed a bit when they are new.
Old 15th November 2014
Lives for gear

like your upcycling style!
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

progress and more progress

much progress has been made. Ceiling in, most of the major traps built, some diffusors up and just recently a huge desk top space installed for putting all my desk top toys on. Its so big it could well be a problem for reflections but it was free and its soo well built and wired for electricity all around. here are some pics...there are a few as i've got a bit behind with updates.
Attached Thumbnails
shed conversion in progress-img_0271.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0268.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0274.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0281.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0277.jpg  

shed conversion in progress-img_0293.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0297.jpg  
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

use for skody old batts

I found a couple of skody batts from yore in one of our sheds. They were a bit nasty to use as intended so I double bagged them in large wheelie bin liners and then wrapped them in single bed duvet covers I got from the hospice-shop for $3.oo . I then shoved them under my work bench for 20 inch thick bass traps.
Attached Thumbnails
shed conversion in progress-img_0299.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0301.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0300.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0304.jpg  
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

First REW measurement

here is my first measurement with the big corner traps in but before the fat floor ones and before I put any diffusers up. I think it clearly shows up my lack of sub-woofing!
Attached Thumbnails
shed conversion in progress-trapping-.jpg  
Attached Files

Last edited by Farmboy presents; 20th November 2014 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: more to say
Old 20th November 2014
This is awesome. I'm about to do the same thing with a 18x24 barn built on some land in Massachusetts I just acquired. It's old farm land where the first settlers are buried but the barn is 10 years old and ghost-free as far as I can tell - I'll be following this thread! Great ideas so far.

C
Old 20th November 2014
Lives for gear

more progress

finished some edges to look nice. Got my monitors on concrete blocks which I think will be fine; i will cover them to look nice. Put some foam out of my old bedroom studio on the door of my loud amp box which immediatly took care of a obvious flutter echo directly across the room.
Attached Thumbnails
shed conversion in progress-img_0306.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0307.jpg   shed conversion in progress-img_0305.jpg  
Old 21st November 2014
Lives for gear

First REW. Any comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmboy presents View Post
here is my first measurement with the big corner traps in but before the fat floor ones and before I put any diffusers up. I think it clearly shows up my lack of sub-woofing!
Old 22nd November 2014
Gear Nut

WOW, how about that view!!! This must be very inspirational!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search