The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I started building a small studio
Old 25th September 2018
Lives for gear

Sorry for the lack of updates.

Yes it's true, unfortunately, I had to decide to close down the studio last year.
I struggled with this decision for quite some years.
Tried to keep the studio going, my wife always supported me and encouraged me to keep the studio, but I ended up having to make the hard decision of closing the studio.
My health was suffering with it.

This has always been a private studio that I have always used as a hobby/"2nd job", but with the increase of work and projects in my company I reached to a point of my life where I didn't had time to work in the studio.
I also lost any hope of having more free time to do it at a later stage of my life.

In the last years, most of the times I had no fun working in the studio.
I was working almost exclusively at night, after my work, most of the times starting after midnight and sleeping a few hours. And had the additional pressure because I was burning the deadlines.
Due to these circumstances I wasn’t having much pleasure on working at the studio as I should and the excess of stress and lack of sleep was obvious.

I thought of letting the studio operational to use it as a real hobby (working on it only when I had time), but that would be impossible. To work with good bands (that would make me enjoy the studio work) I would still have the same pressure of deadlines and would had to work regularly to attract them.

I lost all hope of having more free time to work at the studio later, I decided to close the studio down and started slowly selling all the equipment.

Big decisions that have to be made...

Later I will post some pics I took before starting to sell my gear...
Old 26th September 2018
Gear Guru

I’m really sorry to hear that. It’s unfortunate but thanks for letting us know! But doing and maintenance of a high end studio is the biggest challenge. It looks like you had a great place! Do well.
Old 1st October 2018
Lives for gear

Shame. It looks like the photos are all gone now. It was a very instructional thread.
Old 2nd October 2018
Gear Addict

Ola Eduardo,
It takes some guts (others say balls) to confess that the fun wasn't there anymore. Sorry to hear that your studio will be closed - bit that's just the way it is. It should be fun. Strength and wisdom, take care and we our paths will cross again somewhere near the N125! ;-)
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I’m really sorry to hear that. It’s unfortunate but thanks for letting us know! But doing and maintenance of a high end studio is the biggest challenge. It looks like you had a great place! Do well.
Hey Henry, what is your approach to the recording/studio thing?

Cheers
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
Hey Henry, what is your approach to the recording/studio thing?

Cheers
Hey! Erm, uh, wow. That’s a big general question! Do you mean in terms of starting and maintaining a studio in these times? Don’t over extend. I built a place in the backyard. There’s a cottage I turned into a studio. I won’t die if I don’t have any clients. No overhead. It’s for myself. Other paying customers are icing on the cake.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hey! Erm, uh, wow. That’s a big general question! Do you mean in terms of starting and maintaining a studio in these times? Don’t over extend. I built a place in the backyard. There’s a cottage I turned into a studio. I won’t die if I don’t have any clients. No overhead. It’s for myself. Other paying customers are icing on the cake.
Haha I know the question was pretty general but your answer was what I was looking for. I'm in the same position. My studio is for myself. The amount of studio's where I live is staggering. Every musician basically has one so making a living off of one is very very hard. I have done a lot of work for clients in the past for several years but those days are over. I now do a variety of things to get by. A part time job, playing live, songwriting, teaching, the occasional studio job, etcetera ... and from what I hear and see most people are in the same position.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantra View Post
Haha I know the question was pretty general but your answer was what I was looking for. I'm in the same position. My studio is for myself. The amount of studio's where I live is staggering. Every musician basically has one so making a living off of one is very very hard. I have done a lot of work for clients in the past for several years but those days are over. I now do a variety of things to get by. A part time job, playing live, songwriting, teaching, the occasional studio job, etcetera ... and from what I hear and see most people are in the same position.
Yes. Pretty much exactly the same here. That's why I was so curious to see how this studio in this thread was going to fare.

I'm mainly a musician. Jazz. Guitar, composer. I play live but most of my money comes from teaching. I did a recording session for a client yesterday, but that doesn't often happen. Honestly I'm not looking for it. Being an audio engineer for others would drive me a little nuts if it was too much. I'm too much IN the music. So I have rehearsals with my band where I record a little more than half the time at least once a week. Maybe more soon. Everyone these days have their own studios. I have a great drum tracking room, great mics and some other really cool iso rooms. But how often do people need that? Low overhead allows me to keep doing it. And that it's in my backyard keeps my wife from complaining that it has to make more money! LOL.
Old 8th March 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes. Pretty much exactly the same here. That's why I was so curious to see how this studio in this thread was going to fare.

I'm mainly a musician. Jazz. Guitar, composer. I play live but most of my money comes from teaching. I did a recording session for a client yesterday, but that doesn't often happen. Honestly I'm not looking for it. Being an audio engineer for others would drive me a little nuts if it was too much. I'm too much IN the music. So I have rehearsals with my band where I record a little more than half the time at least once a week. Maybe more soon. Everyone these days have their own studios. I have a great drum tracking room, great mics and some other really cool iso rooms. But how often do people need that? Low overhead allows me to keep doing it. And that it's in my backyard keeps my wife from complaining that it has to make more money! LOL.
I hear you. I remember getting into the studio thing way back to learn how to record my own music. But that kind of spiralled out of control into a studio career I didn't ask for but I made money. In the process I stopped being a musician and after a couple of years I was very unhappy about where that road had taken me. Not passionate enough to be a full time engineer and frustrated about losing touch with my original dream, being creative and making music. Today I'm sitting on a truckload of gear that hardly gets used and I'm trying to figure out my next move. In a way Eduardo's story is one of not having the time to do it instead of not enough business so there's a silver lining to his story in some way. It's a pity his pictures are no longer online because I would have loved checking them out. And I hear you on the wife situation :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search