The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The MT Room
Old 22nd July 2014
The MT Room

Well it has begun in earnest. I have been kicking around bedrooms, studies, closets and bathrooms and it's now time to build a little place of my own.

I have a 6m x 9m colourbond (tin) shed that has to double as a workshop but I can take back the rear 3rd bay and convert it into a little room for myself and my ridiculous music hobby!

Originally there was a 3m x 3m room built in one corner and apart from being too small, it was also tied to the steel frame so transmitted all the energy straight into the shed.

The plan is to build a room decoupled from the rest of the structure in all ways except the floor which is a concrete slab

I have a very limited budget or ~$2000AUD but I also have very real expectations. I'm also salvaging materials from nearby builds as well as recovered materials from the old room.

I will only record acoustic guitars and vocals live with drums being software, bass being DI and keys are all soft synth.

I plan to line the walls of the shed with insulation and then build a 90x45mm stud wall lining the inside of the room with 2 x 16mm Fire Rated gyprock - I will probably use Green Glue between the sheets. The aim will be 1 very dense mass leaf - air/insulation - 1 thin leaf (tin).

In this way I believe that if I do not have adequate attenuation I can add more mass to the inside and keep a 2 leaf system.

If this endeavour is successful then in years to come I may add another room but that is a long way off
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search