The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shed Studio
Old 1st July 2014
Here for the gear

Shed Studio

I recently purchased a house that has a shed in the back yard which I am turning into a 1 room project studio. Here is a brief introduction to the project, some pictures, and a few questions.

The shed is 11.5' by 13.5' with a slightly vaulted ceiling which comes to a point slightly off center (The ceiling is a square while the walls are offset by a 2 foot porch making the walls a rectangle)

THUS FAR
I have had electricity installed. I asked to have 3 or 4 separate 20 amp circuits installed. The electrician went a little overboard (which is fine by me) and put in six 20 amp circuits and one 220 volt circuit. The lights are connected to their own circuit and they put in the 220 volt line for a AC/Heat unit.

LIGHTING
We put in 2 overhead lights and 2 track lights that face the desk wall and the back wall. I wasn't too keen on the overhead lights initially as I thought they would be too bright and kill the mood. I have found that the track lighting provides enough light for the space, so that the overheads won't need to be used when the mood needs to be more creative. I also had a porch light installed.

AC/HEAT
The electrician said that it would be much more energy efficient to use a 220 volt ac/heat unit, but everything I read online said this may not be the case. Any thoughts on this?

I live in Columbus, Oh were the summers can get pretty hot 80s-90s F and the winters pretty cold 0-10 F.

I was initially hoping to install a mini-split ductless AC/Heat system mostly because they look like the quietest option. After researching it for a while I have decided to go a cheaper and easier route of a portable AC unit and a base board heater with the possibility of upgrading in the future if the cheap/easy way wasn't good enough. I initially thought the ductless system was a DIY install, and I found some as cheap as $800-1,200 online. I found out that you really need a pro HVAC to help with the install, and none of them would install a unit I purchased myself. They provide the unit and the install and quotes ranged from 3,000-5,000 for this. I thought about finding a friend of a friend HVAC guy to help install one I purchase myself, but decided to forget about it for now and worry about the building/acoustics FIRST. (the important stuff right?) Also, I was told by the HVAC guys that the Heat Pumps only really work down to a certain temp, and they would recommend having a base board heater to compliment it.

TO DO LIST
My current plan is as follows... Vapor barrier the walls/ceiling, r13 insulation, then drywall. Has anyone used the "quiet" drywall?. It seems like much less of a hassle than actually double drywalling.

After drywall, I am planning on covering the walls and ceiling with Tectum I am still figuring how much this would cost to get enough to cover the space. There is a Tectum plant near Columbus that has a throw away pile which I have pulled from before. You can take as much as you need, but the weight and thickness is all different. they are mostly 2'x4' panels. This could be an option if the Tectum is too much to buy legit.

After the Tectum, then add more sound treatment as necessary... bass traps, diffusion, and possibly a whole final layer of fabric stretched across a frame for aesthetics. Another idea is heavy curtains (especially over back window).

QUESTIONS
Any thoughts on using the 220 volt circuit for AC or Heat?

Any experience with "quiet drywall" like quiet rock?

The whole shed sits about 1 foot off the ground (sort of on stilts). The floor of the shed is actually some nice wood, so I would hate to cover it by doing a floating floor. I am thinking I will fill the underside of the shed most of the way up with sand. Any ideas here?

Any ideas or thoughts about any of the ideas I have stated here... such as.. YOU IDIOT, YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO WHATT!?!?!?! Much appreciated!

Thanks for reading! I know its a small project, but still a lot of work to do! I will update as soon as I make more progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Shed Studio-1.jpg   Shed Studio-2.jpg   Shed Studio-3.jpg   Shed Studio-4.jpg   Shed Studio-5.jpg  

Shed Studio-img_2998.jpg   Shed Studio-img_3002.jpg   Shed Studio-img_3005.jpg   Shed Studio-img_3007.jpg   Shed Studio-img_3008.jpg  

Old 2nd July 2014
Gear Addict

Nice shed you have there! It is essential that the moist in the warm air inside the shed doesn't migrate to the inside of the wall when isolating. Therefor the vapor barrier has to be between the isolation and the sheetrock. You cannot caulk the outside shell because it has to be able to breathe.

The achieve the best transmission loss the sheetrock walls need to be as heavy as possible. Whisperclip - sheetrock - greenglue- sheetrock would be the best way. Also the windows and the door need a lot of attention.

Maybe it's a good idea to take split unit ac that can heat/chill the room? Don't forget a ventilation system with a hushbox..
Old 15th July 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterPPK View Post
Nice shed you have there! It is essential that the moist in the warm air inside the shed doesn't migrate to the inside of the wall when isolating. Therefor the vapor barrier has to be between the isolation and the sheetrock. You cannot caulk the outside shell because it has to be able to breathe.

The achieve the best transmission loss the sheetrock walls need to be as heavy as possible. Whisperclip - sheetrock - greenglue- sheetrock would be the best way. Also the windows and the door need a lot of attention.

Maybe it's a good idea to take split unit ac that can heat/chill the room? Don't forget a ventilation system with a hushbox..
Thanks WalterPPK!

So here is my best case scenario...
insulation, vapor barrier, whisper clips, drywall, green glue, drywall, tectum, aesthetics/extra diffusion and absorption

I will put together a realistic budget for the project to decide about the whisper clips and the green glue/double drywall. The prefab double drywall appears cheaper, anyone have experience on its effectiveness? Here is a link... QuietRock by PABCO Gypsum

The split unit AC/heat is my top pick, but I was quoted at 3,000-5,000 to get it installed. I was hoping to keep AC/Heat to 1,000 or less, and then upgrade later when I am able. The shed is only 12x13 feet, so I am hoping a base board heater and portable AC will work. Just have to turn off AC when tracking though... (not optimal)

Any advice on the floor. Like I said, the wood floor is nice, but the 1 foot or so of hollow air between the floor and the earth is not desirable. I was thinking of filling it with sand.

Thanks!
George
Old 17th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBarrieBand View Post
Thanks WalterPPK!

So here is my best case scenario...
insulation, vapor barrier, whisper clips, drywall, green glue, drywall, tectum, aesthetics/extra diffusion and absorption

I will put together a realistic budget for the project to decide about the whisper clips and the green glue/double drywall. The prefab double drywall appears cheaper, anyone have experience on its effectiveness? Here is a link... QuietRock by PABCO Gypsum

The split unit AC/heat is my top pick, but I was quoted at 3,000-5,000 to get it installed. I was hoping to keep AC/Heat to 1,000 or less, and then upgrade later when I am able. The shed is only 12x13 feet, so I am hoping a base board heater and portable AC will work. Just have to turn off AC when tracking though... (not optimal)

Any advice on the floor. Like I said, the wood floor is nice, but the 1 foot or so of hollow air between the floor and the earth is not desirable. I was thinking of filling it with sand.

Thanks!
George
Old thread, so now I'm wondering how the project went ... ?

I've been considering for a while now, buying a new shed, 12 X 24 ft minimum & converting it for use as a home studio, instead of taking up one of my spare 9.5 X 14 ft bedrooms in the house.

Not sure of the order of progress of this thread that was made in the above studio shed, specifically wondering why the 2 fluorescent lights were installed so high against the underside of the shed roof. I'm planning on using my above space as a small attic to allow for air-flow, and sheet rock the lower rafters.
Old 17th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
Old thread, so now I'm wondering how the project went ... ?

I've been considering for a while now, buying a new shed, 12 X 24 ft minimum & converting it for use as a home studio, instead of taking up one of my spare 9.5 X 14 ft bedrooms in the house.

Not sure of the order of progress of this thread that was made in the above studio shed, specifically wondering why the 2 fluorescent lights were installed so high against the underside of the shed roof. I'm planning on using my above space as a small attic to allow for air-flow, and sheet rock the lower rafters.

Hey Steve,

I lost track of updating my progress. Man that extra 12 feet would be great! My 12x13 is plenty of space for my purposes but if I ever do a ground up shed build I will add some square footage for sure!

I did do a very thin "attic" space with air flow that hugged the roof instead of dropping down the rafters. I wanted it to feel bigger. Also, I thought it would sound better than a flat roof and it gave me some storage space up top.

I did end up doing whisper clips, double dry wall, green glue. I laid cement board on the floor and then put laminate flooring on top. Still hoping to do the mini split AC unit someday but for now rocking the cheaper baseboard heater and window AC. I have some issues with the door. Did some work to help seal it and added some weight to it for sound transference through it, but it is a bit janky and on my list to upgrade. It's not a standard door jam so it may need to be a custom job.

It's a bit of a money/time investment but I highly recommend the shed studio. Having it disconnected from the house where my wife and 2 little ones are sleeping or making noise is crucial!

I have a full box of green glue left over from the build that I never got around to selling. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Feel free to contact me with any questions about my experience.

I will try to update my thread to show the finished product when I can!

George
Old 18th January 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeBarrieBand View Post
Hey Steve,

I lost track of updating my progress. Man that extra 12 feet would be great! My 12x13 is plenty of space for my purposes but if I ever do a ground up shed build I will add some square footage for sure!

I did do a very thin "attic" space with air flow that hugged the roof instead of dropping down the rafters. I wanted it to feel bigger. Also, I thought it would sound better than a flat roof and it gave me some storage space up top.

I did end up doing whisper clips, double dry wall, green glue. I laid cement board on the floor and then put laminate flooring on top. Still hoping to do the mini split AC unit someday but for now rocking the cheaper baseboard heater and window AC. I have some issues with the door. Did some work to help seal it and added some weight to it for sound transference through it, but it is a bit janky and on my list to upgrade. It's not a standard door jam so it may need to be a custom job.

It's a bit of a money/time investment but I highly recommend the shed studio. Having it disconnected from the house where my wife and 2 little ones are sleeping or making noise is crucial!

I have a full box of green glue left over from the build that I never got around to selling. Let me know if you are interested in it.

Feel free to contact me with any questions about my experience.

I will try to update my thread to show the finished product when I can!

George
It would be cool to see the finished results. I know what you mean about having a higher ceiling, it's desirable.
My potential shed would likely be a high lofted barn style (looking at the Old Hickery sheds). One thing about attic space that I've known for 30 years of being an electrician & crawling up in them during summers is, that the larger/higher the space, means less heat in that space & less heat transfer into the living space below. Having a maximum attic space vs the higher ceiling is going to be a trade off for me to consider. It gets about 110 degrees here in Northern/ central California, so the larger attic space would win over for confort.
Aside from the shed shell itself, I'd be doing everything else myself. I'd likely just buy an AC & heater similar to what you've done, rather than a far more expensive split system. But I'll be considering an all in one combo heat/air unit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search