The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Kiwi Audio (Jeff Hedback-designed) - Recording Studio Build (Chicago suburb)
Old 25th January 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Audio View Post
Wanted to add 1 more pic. Here is what the console looked like during the fader cleaning. Of course as soon as I started stripping the faders out, I got a call from another engineer who wanted to book the room. I sent him this picture as a reply and said..."can you give me 24hrs?" He was up for it and waited until the faders were all cleaned up. What a champ.

The new floor looks awesome! A coat of stain is really going to make it pop.. I'm so jealous of your setup. Lol
Old 30th March 2018
Lives for gear

Truly amazing. Impressive to an exponential degree.
Enjoy the dream, you have it in your hand.
Keep it the pocket...

YYMV

Light

Temple
Old 3rd May 2018
Gear Addict

Wow haven't been here for a while. Your studio looks absolutely stunning! How is the drumbrella working out?
Old 27th June 2019
Gear Maniac

SMH

It's a shame how fast time flies by. I didn't even notice it's been a year since the last update.

A very brief update, I'm up to 3 children now, last posting we had 2. The studio has had an incredible year so far, seeing many new faces and projects making their way out of Chicago to come to the cornfields to make a record. Word of mouth has been very good to us, and the news of a studio out in the boonies is spreading like wildfire. I'm extremely blessed to have the opportunity to work with as many folks who have come out, and also open the space up to a handful of new engineers who have made Kiwi their home turf.

It's been a challenge balancing family time with studio life, but a decent rhythm has been established and I'm just not ready to throw in the towel yet. I have quickly progressed into a studio owner/manager roll vs working every session that comes thru the door. I have a short list of engineers that I can pass work along to when I cannot find the time to work all the calls coming in. I'm incredibly thankful for all the opportunities that I've had and can't wait to see what the rest of this year holds and those to come.

On the building front...cause 7 years in and I'm not done yet....

Just passed another milestone last week. Finally got around the installing the 2nd pane of glass in the large window opening. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the room has been so busy with other engineers using it that I haven't had a chance to do any recording, listening, or mixing in the space to hear the changes that 2nd layer of glass made.

But we anticipate some possible changes happening in the control room now that the wall system is complete. It only took 7 years! 4 years since the 1st layer went in.

Here are a few pics.

Between the layers of glass is 703 rigid fiberglass, I made sure they were in their snug between the stops and put some adhesive on them. I've been in a few studios where some of those panels have come apart and fallen down. Once the glass went in, I really don't wanna take it out.

Then I stretched fabric across the inside stops, added a thin layer of trim to cover up the staples....

Then the install of the 2nd layer

I haven't finished the exterior stops yet or any of the trim work on the tracking room side. This will happen in the coming weeks as time allows.

In the first studio I had built back in my parents basement with my dad, I had put these Star Wars Cantina band figures in between the glass. Well, my dad just tore down that wall so his 3 grandkids (my kids, of which I had none when starting this building) could have more room to play when they come over. It only felt natural to make them a feature in the new window.

I have lots more to share, hopefully in the coming weeks I'll be able to share some additional pictures, talk about some projects, talk about some gear, and some new future plans for the studio.

Until then, thx to everyone for being involved, keep making great music!!

-Brad
Old 27th June 2019
Lives for gear

Awesome studio you made!! Jet designed my studio in Sausalito Ca as well and Inahree with everything you’ve said about him. Great to work with and just a super guy all round .. I just opened and we shall see how things go. Had an opening party and lots of local talent and producer types showed up.

It’s 50/50 for my own gratification and also hope to work with others in the community. It’s looking very promising . There are a ton of studios around but not so many of the quality and gear that Jeff and I put into this place .

Most people were pretty floored at what we had built here in Sausalito

LOVE YOUR PLACE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Audio View Post
It's a shame how fast time flies by. I didn't even notice it's been a year since the last update.

A very brief update, I'm up to 3 children now, last posting we had 2. The studio has had an incredible year so far, seeing many new faces and projects making their way out of Chicago to come to the cornfields to make a record. Word of mouth has been very good to us, and the news of a studio out in the boonies is spreading like wildfire. I'm extremely blessed to have the opportunity to work with as many folks who have come out, and also open the space up to a handful of new engineers who have made Kiwi their home turf.

It's been a challenge balancing family time with studio life, but a decent rhythm has been established and I'm just not ready to throw in the towel yet. I have quickly progressed into a studio owner/manager roll vs working every session that comes thru the door. I have a short list of engineers that I can pass work along to when I cannot find the time to work all the calls coming in. I'm incredibly thankful for all the opportunities that I've had and can't wait to see what the rest of this year holds and those to come.

On the building front...cause 7 years in and I'm not done yet....

Just passed another milestone last week. Finally got around the installing the 2nd pane of glass in the large window opening. Fortunately, and unfortunately, the room has been so busy with other engineers using it that I haven't had a chance to do any recording, listening, or mixing in the space to hear the changes that 2nd layer of glass made.

But we anticipate some possible changes happening in the control room now that the wall system is complete. It only took 7 years! 4 years since the 1st layer went in.

Here are a few pics.

Between the layers of glass is 703 rigid fiberglass, I made sure they were in their snug between the stops and put some adhesive on them. I've been in a few studios where some of those panels have come apart and fallen down. Once the glass went in, I really don't wanna take it out.

Then I stretched fabric across the inside stops, added a thin layer of trim to cover up the staples....

Then the install of the 2nd layer

I haven't finished the exterior stops yet or any of the trim work on the tracking room side. This will happen in the coming weeks as time allows.

In the first studio I had built back in my parents basement with my dad, I had put these Star Wars Cantina band figures in between the glass. Well, my dad just tore down that wall so his 3 grandkids (my kids, of which I had none when starting this building) could have more room to play when they come over. It only felt natural to make them a feature in the new window.

I have lots more to share, hopefully in the coming weeks I'll be able to share some additional pictures, talk about some projects, talk about some gear, and some new future plans for the studio.

Until then, thx to everyone for being involved, keep making great music!!

-Brad

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search