The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build
Old 18th March 2013
Lives for gear

A Man on a mission. Go Matt!
Old 18th March 2013
NLP
Gear Addict

... by the way, this studio is being build in Australia and you use Homatherm FlexCL made in EU?
So you have to import this insulation material (+shipping costs + ...)?!
Old 18th March 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLP View Post
... by the way, this studio is being build in Australia and you use Homatherm FlexCL made in EU?
So you have to import this insulation material (+shipping costs + ...)?!
Yes this room is being built in Brisbane Australia and I had to import 9 pallets of Homatherm FlexCL from Europe. It was definitely an added expense but without it, Thomas couldn't predict or guarantee the result as his designs are measured using this particular insulation.
Old 18th March 2013
NLP
Gear Addict

... from this post https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8833433-post143.html - also rockwool apparently.
Interesting how Wes Lachot or John Sayers etc. advice remotely overseas with materials which do not know...
I think either that it is important to know how the material behaves and have experience... but to some extent.
In my designs I have used Homatherm FlexCL 3 times, it is interesting insulation but do not made wonders:(
Old 18th March 2013

Quote:
... from this post https://www.gearslutz.com/board/8833433-post143.html - also rockwool apparently.
Interesting how Wes Lachot or John Sayers etc. advice remotely overseas with materials which do not know...
I think either that it is important to know how the material behaves and have experience... but to some extent.
In my designs I have used Homatherm FlexCL 3 times, it is interesting insulation but do not made wonders:(
Depends how you use it. If you use it only as replacement for Rockwool, then there is no point.

If you use it for more than just resistance to flow, it becomes very interesting. (Read: it has a mechanical behaviour that is very interesting.) In the LF treatment it sits right between Rockwool (purely resistance to flow) and the membranes (purely pressure based).

And in that case, for a professional build it is cheaper to import it than to use other solutions to get the same result, both in terms of real estate use, materials and labour involved.

Another product was imported (Regufoam) but it can be found in Australia.

All the rest is local.

I don't know how other designers do, but in some areas of a design you need to know exactly how materials behave, so you have control over what you do, to be able to provide a guarantee on results. So you can't go blind or just assume it'll be the same product here or there.
Old 18th March 2013
NLP
Gear Addict

Thanks Thomas, I understand the "mechanism", I use very similar principle with rockwools ("sandwich" with different rockwools with different GFRs, higher GFR rockwool acts like "passive" membrane...) and get here/here results with rockwool + FlexCL.
... and yes, it is very unprofessional to not know how work specific material but this is realitiy what I wrote:(
So thumbs up that you use strictly materials with which you are familiar!
Old 19th March 2013
Quote:
Yes there is probably similar amounts of each Rockwool (in my case Fibretex 350) & Homatherm FlexCL. We've just had to order more Fibretex 350 and there is none in the Country so we have to wait another few weeks to get some from Europe again. In Australia the 100mm batts aren't very common because our pine stud sizes are smaller due to the timber grown locally being stronger/denser.
Old 3rd May 2013
Update

Thought it was time to update the thread with some new pics..

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-diffuser-mounts-ready.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-side_wall.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-rear_wall.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-bass-trap-rear-wall-90-.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-bass-trap-rear-wall-95-.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-speaker-wall.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-speaker-wall-ac-ducting.jpg
Old 3rd May 2013
Gear Maniac

Last edited by achaiss; 4th May 2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: private
Old 4th May 2013

Last edited by MattGray; 4th May 2013 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: Requested to remove
Old 4th May 2013
Gear Maniac

Last edited by achaiss; 4th May 2013 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: private
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Head

Looking awesome, Matt
Old 6th May 2013
Gear Maniac
Old 18th May 2013
Progress Update - Side Wall Treatment Finished

The final side wall treatment was completed yesterday (last Homatherm layer). Boy does it sound different to the previous Rockwool layer. More livelier (not as dead sounding as the Rockwool). The exposed timber frame work is recessed into the Homatherm by 20mm and the remaining 20mm becomes the framework for the final fabric finish.

The beginning of the front wall ceiling frame has also started and we will be putting up the ceiling diffusers very soon.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-side-walls-1.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-side-walls-2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-side-walls-4.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-front-angle-frame-started-1.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-front-angle-frame-started.jpg
Old 19th May 2013
Lives for gear

Matt that room is looking awesome thank you for sharing the build.... Amazed by those pics!! I'm excited to see the final results! Go man go!!

Lu
Old 28th May 2013
Update

The studio is progressing well, we are completing all the final ceiling frames and rear wall frames in preparation for the diffusers to go up.

The rear wall bass traps will be home to 4 of the diffusers with the top two coming on an angle which is unique to this design.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-rear-wall-angles-diffuser-cavity-2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-rear-wall-angles-diffuser-cavity.jpg
Old 30th May 2013
Ceiling Diffusers Going Up

Tonight we mounted the ceiling diffusers which was very exciting to see them flown. The mounts for these are over engineered with bouka rod used to hold a very dense thick pine frame which was side hexed through the ceiling joists. Then we used timber strips glued and screwed to the top of the diffusers and side screwed them into position & then additional metal straps were screwed from the diffuser sides to the end of the dense pine mounting blocks. Each diffuser weighs 90kg so we didn't want to risk these coming down or making the ceiling drop. We measured the ceiling prior to installing the diffusers with a laser measure and then again after the diffusers went up and the ceiling didn't even drop 1mm. Pretty impressive.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-ceiling-framing-pre-diffusers.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-single-diffuser-up.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-single-diffuser-up-2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-both-diffusers-3.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-money-shot.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-both-diffusers-under.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-doorway-view.jpg
Old 30th May 2013
Lives for gear

Getting closer, tight!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 31st May 2013
Gear Maniac

Looks great, planning to swing by next time I'm in Brissy!
Old 11th June 2013
Update

With Thomas coming to certify the room in around 3 weeks time (July2, 3, 4) we are scrambling to get the rest of the work as close to finished as possible. See photos attached for what was done last week. This week we will be finishing the insulation layers on the ceiling, getting the front speaker wall professionally plaster/lime/polished (European venetian style), installing the A/C, finishing off all the light fittings and hopefully starting to lay the tongue in groove 108mm x 19mm Tasmanian Oak floor boards.

Busy Busy!

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-dsc_0004.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-dsc_0012.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-dsc_0011.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-dsc_0008.jpg
Old 11th June 2013
Here for the gear

Woohoo!!
Old 14th June 2013
Rear Diffusers & Speaker Wall Finish

All the rear Diffusers are installed now, half of the ceiling is also completely finished (minus fabric finish) and the speaker wall is completely finished with polished lime/plaster. This week we will finish the ceiling and next week start on the floating timber floor.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-rear_wall_diffusers.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-rear_wall_diffusers_2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-all_diffusers.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-polished_plasterboard_layer2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-polished_plaster_speaker_wall.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-polished_plaster_speaker_wall32.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-polished_plaster_speaker_wall2.jpg
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Getting very close now. Having sound in there for the first time will be a very rewarding and thrilling experience - I know it will sound superb!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 15th June 2013
As you would no doubt be experiencing at the moment Dirk I'm very much looking forward to firing up the Duntech & Velodyne subs for the first time in this room when Thomas arrives in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkB View Post
Getting very close now. Having sound in there for the first time will be a very rewarding and thrilling experience - I know it will sound superb!

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

I can imagine!

And yes, I have been spending hours just balancing 6ch of guidetracks I recorded this week (4 drums, bass guit., guitar) and the sound is unbelievable. I am just lusting over the fact that these 6 channels combined with a touch of compression and eq sound better than anything I recorded and mixed in the 10 years before.

Trust me, your room will sound like nothing you ever heared before!

On to the last stretch...

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 19th June 2013
Ceiling Treatment to be Completed Today - A/C installed

Just an update with a few more pics... The final ceiling treatment will be finished off today and the ducted A/C was commissioned today as well. Tomorrow we start preparation for laying the Tasmanian Oak flooring with sanding & polishing booked in for Monday next week.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-ceiling_almost_complete_1.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-ceiling_almost_complete_2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-ac_plenum-ducting_mezzanine_floor.jpg
Old 20th June 2013
Lives for gear
The extra length of flex duct, is that to kill more sound of the aircon unit?
Old 20th June 2013
Today marked a milestone as we completed the final treatment (in the ceiling) for the new mastering room. As it stands now this will be pretty close to the final "sound" of the room. Tomorrow the studio lights will be connected and we begin laying the timber flooring. Monday the floor will be sanded & polished and then the remainder of the electrical will be connected and the wall & ceiling fabric linings will be amongst the last cosmetic touches to the final room.

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-completed_ceiling_1.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-front_ceiling_section.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-front_speaker_wall.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-back_of_room.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-ceiling_diffusers_1.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-left-side-front.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-right_side_front_2.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-floor_ready_for_tassie_oak.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-wall_diffusers_arty.jpg

Matthew Gray Mastering - New Room Build-right_side_back.jpg
Old 20th June 2013
Looks most excellent! Kudo's Tom and Matt.
Old 22nd June 2013
Lives for gear

I keep being amazed at the tightness of your built!

Greetings,
Dirk
πŸ“ Reply