The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A studio in the sun - a build in progress with photos
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

A studio in the sun - a build in progress with photos

Hi all,

I have recently emigrated to a small town in the Gulf of Thailand with the intention of starting a new life, and to build a studio of my dreams.

I've acquired a beautiful property by the beach. It is a 4 stories building, 4 meters wide and 16 meters deep. It sits in a middle of a terrace with a bookshop to its left, and a coffee shop on its right side. Other than windows and doors, the building is constructed using concrete, breeze block walls (inc party walls I think), concrete slabs floors with tiles finished.

The ground floor (1st) and mezzanine floor, due to being on the street level, will be used for commercial purposes. So, the studio consisting of a control room and a live room is going on the 2nd floor - challenge number 1 - might need to look into floating floor - yike! The 3rd floor will be my living space.

Despite built like a bomb shelter, the building is as soundproof as a paper bag - challenge number 2.

I have managed to track down a distributor of Rockwool products, hoooray! However other essentials may be harder to come by, so expect to see a lot of DIYs. Challenge number 3 but a fun one at that, testing man's ability to improvise.

The biggest challenge of all is my lack of experience undertaking such projects, so I'm expecting that there will be mistakes a long the way. Hopefully, with blood, sweats, tears, and endless amount perseverance, my dreams will be realised before long.

I'd welcome any feedback.

Thanks

Photos:

Old 19th September 2011
Hi,

I wish you all the success with setting up your studio! I have considered something similar in Malaysia, but finally decided against it due to the lack of local work possibilities (that would actually pay the bills!). With a stronger base of foreign clients it could have worked, though.

What are your plans in regards to airconditioning?

Best,
Dirk
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Hi Dirk

Thanks for the reply.

Going for ductless minisplit systems for both rooms.

One thing this country is not short of, and that is aircon suppliers. I've been on a lookout for the quietest of them all, and have read good things about Mitsubishi's.

For the control room, the fan unit is in the storage closet to help isolate the noise from the fan. The unit will be turned off during tracking, door closed.

There is a curtain going in front of the fan in the control to help counter the noise but it might be a case of having that off also when tracking.

Have you thought about going a bit further down to Singapore, potentially better market, or you had your heart set on Malaysia?

Ray
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi
What console are you planning to get or do you already have one?
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

@erik

Planning on getting a used 14 channel off eBay, otherwise ITB.

Ray
Old 20th September 2011
Here for the gear

Sorry that should have said 24 channel.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search