The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
From Serverrack to studio desk.
Old 12th September 2011
From Serverrack to studio desk.

Three weeks ago I got a 24 units high server rack.

Something like this. But it was for the most part KERMIT GREEN. OEf... Well. I am pretty much enviromental friendly.... But not that much...

So I decided to build my studio desk with it. First I chopped the rack in two and put wheels underneath. Then I measured severall times. And I put a sheet of plywood on them. And measured. Chopped some more.

After the chopping I painted it.... Blacked the frame out.
Then, because it needs to house a DM24 and a SI-24 I build a bucket.
And then put some fitting sheets and covered those sheets of plywood with Skai.

After this image was taken I took the topplates off again and painted the bucket a strange colour of brown. Most of that painted area will dissapear. So the little that will remain visible will complement the wooden sides, the black and the skai surfaces.

So... Here I am half way. I need to wait a couple of days till the paint is rock hard. I do have some aluminum trimming. A tray underneath (keyboard) and some stainless steel to mould and fabricate. Everything I build has inside spaces to guide wires to all components.

Behind the mixer in the middle (left and right are 4 units high 19 inch space) will be a wide stainless steel plate. It will house a 3 channel line selector and maybe some VU meters. My DM24 has a meterbridge connection. Maybe I can connect this output to some reall VU meters.

Well, some little ideas will come to me. The desk is 1.10 meter deep. So it hangs over at the front around 20 cm. I did this so I can sit in front of the SI-24 or the DM24 without feeling twisted. To my right I have a Roland RD-150 (great pianofeel) and a Korg Kontrol49.

I do have a furman powerconditioner with like 10 connections. But that is probably too little for all the gear I own and will be racked. Ah well. Need to think about a logical way to go about this. We are halfway.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

looks very cool
Old 13th September 2011
with little steps..... you can get home too....

I took all panelling off. And painted the inside of the bucket some strange colour of brown (****ty colour...)
Then put some stainless strips on it and screwed it down.
Put all panelling back. And made some new.
I made some strips of aluminium fit.

Gotta make some side panels for the racks underneath and drill some holes... And some this and that...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

bigger picture!!

please!
Old 14th September 2011
Ok, I uploaded an image and it was reall big... So I resized and got that stamp. But the picture is bonkus... I'll make some new ones later today.
http://www.gitaarnet.nl/forum/showth...3-producerdesk

In this thread the image is sort of ok size. If I put that picture up here it looks way way too big.
Old 16th September 2011
Distracted....

Sometimes, something comes along wich you just........ catch..... Look what I catched out of a clear blue sky.....

A 4x15 bass cabinet from KUSTOM. Around 1980.... It fits my Multitone full tube head like a glove. The head delivers 300 watts and has 8x EL34.... and is full of bass sound.
Old 24th November 2011
Here is an update.

I have allmost finished the desk. I still need to make two plates under the rack units left and right. A longer USB cable so it won't run over the desk. And some cabling.

The monitor needs an monitor arm. When that's finished I think I'm done. I love the way I can work right now.

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search