The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Steve's New Racks
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Nut

MIC STORAGE

So I am looking for some GS input here. I plan to build a multi-drawer cabinet much like dresser drawers but designed for mic, mic holder, and power supply storage. The cabinet will be single key lockable using a cable locking system and will have a nice hardwood exterior because Steve just doesn't have enough wood in his studio heh

Here is where I need input: My personal experience and some research have led me to conclude that the two primary enemies of most mics (especially LDCs) are dust and condensation (the third one is lip cheese but I have no way to control that). My current thinking to mitigate both of these issues is to make the drawer bottoms and sides out of 18 gauge epoxy-coated perforated steel and the cabinet carcass from melamine particle board taking care to encapsulate and raw edges in cleanroom caulk. With the addition of a small fan a HEPA filter, an outside air damper, and hygrometer I am thinking I can control both the cabinet interior's cleanliness through the use of the HEPA filter as well as it's moisture content with a 10% makeup air damper. My thinking is that the studio's dewpoint should always be well below the room temperature otherwise it would be raining inside so why not use that nice studio air to condition the inside of the cabinet. The only problem with this air is that it is dirty and that is where the HEPA filter comes in. The perforated drawer bottoms would allow this air to freely circulate throughout the cabinet thus preventing dead air pockets.

I thought about using desiccant but I am concerned about hyper de-humidifying the air both because of the corresponding static electricity issues and because I am afraid other parts of some mics (like the suspensions on some dynamics) might dry out and crack.

What think you fellow slutters???
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Nut

Still looking for some input on this... Thanks!
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Man...It's hard to give you suggestions when you are so seemingly on the right track. The filter idea is great.thumbsup
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry to drive traffic somewhere else, but I would post your inquiry to Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab on PSW Recording Forums: Welcome to the forum.

He has some 'stickies' re: mic storage, etc. He and others there may have had contact with storage of some of the best mic collections.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search