The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New studio in Ontario Dynamic Microphones
Old 14th March 2011
Lives for gear

New studio in Ontario

Hey Guys

Well after running a studio in Ontario called vibewrangler for 4 years...Im to something new...Its called Threshold Recording Studio

Here are a couple videos I have made about the construction...ill keep updating this as I go...feel free to ask questions!

YouTube - Studio construction one

YouTube - Studio construction two
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

did you delete the first video?
Old 15th March 2011
Lives for gear

hey

yeah, im new to this video blog thing and wasnt happy with attempt one...two is good-ish. i will be making a new one soon
Old 19th March 2011
Lives for gear

Old 20th March 2011
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Is this Ontario, Canada, or, Ontario, California?
best,
Ike
Old 20th March 2011
Lives for gear

Ontario Canada...Hamilton to be specific
Old 22nd March 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keire View Post
Ontario Canada...Hamilton to be specific
Cool! Good luck with it.
Best
Ike
Old 24th March 2011
Lives for gear

construction has been slowed down recently. Im still waiting for a shipment of barn board (this weather is not helping) and I had to get back in the studio and keep working. The ceiling has been painted though and I have chosen the hard wood. Im using a dark brown engineered bamboo. More videos to come soon!
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

New Floors, electrical and baseboard heaters...hopefully I will have all the acoustic panels up by the end of the week.

Mike
Old 4th April 2011
Gear Addict

cool, I love the look.
Old 4th April 2011
Lives for gear

There was a bunch of barn board out Highway 8 headed towards Cambridge.
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

It looks like a nice room to make music in, even though the construction isn't as expensive and scientific as those expensive and scientific ones..
Old 5th April 2011
Lives for gear

ahhhh, your are correct...what your talking about is the place where business and recording meet! I just found it when I had a studio go under 6 months ago...learned a lot! This is a my production/mix studio.

Acoustic panels/treatment to follow.

Last edited by Keire; 5th April 2011 at 06:36 AM..
Old 9th April 2011
Lives for gear

Old 9th April 2011
Gear Head

Nice!!
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

will you be mixing in this room or do you have a separate control room?
Old 10th April 2011
Lives for gear

Nope, it is an open room concept.

There is an adjacent room for storage that I will be using as an iso room for amps...this will be very useful when I am cutting beds.

Also, as a side note, one of the benefits to having a room this size is that if a band wants to work with you, but the room doesn't make sense because they are a huge rock band or 8 piece band with horns looking to record live of the floor...i have no problem going to one of the bigger studios in the area to cut the beds and and then finishing the project at my place.
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

Today I am moving the organ,piano, console and racks into the space!

Feels great!
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

Do those baseboaed heaters make any sound? I have a few in my attic studio that are wicked loud.

Looks really beautiful in there.
Old 12th April 2011
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, and pictures please!
Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

So I had some close friends over last night to break the studio in with some beers, and tunes. It sounds incredible with the treatment and design...so that was a big relief. I can really hear bass which is something I have often struggled with. Anyway, I had a photographer stop by to take some shots, im waiting for those...but I did grab a couple myself with my camera and I think it captures the mood and feel of the room nicely. More shots to come.

Old 16th April 2011
Lives for gear

Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Looks fantastic, very nice vibe and great gear. What's the console? You know the guys in the acoustics sub forums will have things to say about your mix position and room treatments though..
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyRochester View Post
Looks fantastic, very nice vibe and great gear. What's the console? You know the guys in the acoustics sub forums will have things to say about your mix position and room treatments though..
Thanks man. Its a soundcraft 3b. its being upgraded right now. Burr Brown opamps in all of the line/mic sections. Also I put hardy 990s in the master bus.

Yeah, I know. The treatment is a work in progress.

Thanks!
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Lovely place, congrats ! Very warm and friendly ! Feels like a good mood for a good music work ! All those wood parts look great !

But… Are you sure those foam tiles upon your mix place have any effect ? Mhmm…
And, to me, they aren't very necessary and break the design of your place… don't you think so ?
I'd rather prefer a nice DIY cloud upon this area, much more efficient and good looking… It's not so hard to do… think about it !
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

Yes and I agree. The foam is the one thing that has not been worked out.

However, the foam is defaintely killing the flutter echo and is helping the room. I have some left over white curtains that I am now strongly considering for covering the foam temporarily untill i build something nicer. Since I keep hearing..."everything is amazing...that foam looks weird"

Any other suggestions or thoughts?
Old 17th April 2011
Gear Addict

I agree that the foam throws off the vibe a bit. It's such a cool space and it kinda cheapens it. Just make another one of those white panels and hang it on chains above the mix position. You might have issues with low end being stuffed in that corner though.
Old 17th April 2011
Lives for gear

I am going to do that with the panel.

Yeah, well compared to the other studios and mastering rooms I have worked in/been in my initial impression of the bass is that it is very present, rigid and defined...it seems rather ideal to me.

But the general rules of thumb are against what I am hearing so that bothers me.

I am completely new to testing a room. Is there a simple way to find out whats going on just using protools, waves frequency analyzer and a mic? Or do I really need specific software to get readings? Test frequencies...?

Thanks guys
Old 18th April 2011
Lives for gear

so I am going to build 4 sets of 8x4 foot clouds that will cover the ceiling, ...i took the foam down ...already looks far nicer.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search