The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mark's mix room build Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd April 2011
Lives for gear

oops!
Old 3rd April 2011
Gear Nut

Yep, back to square one for the new space. I have the upgraded gear just waiting for a space where I can fit them in. In the meantime I'm continuing to mix for clients in the current tiny room. We'll find a spot.
Old 21st June 2011
Gear Nut

The new plan!

After a year of looking for a new space, some tenants changed spaces in my current building and I am moving all the way across the hall! It's a slightly odd space made out of two rooms (see below) and i think it will work well.

Clarity Incorporated is my go-to company to create the interior of the new mix room, and Jeff Hedback is once again designing the acoustics. Jeff is the best guy for making small rooms sound great and the combination of Jeff and Clarity keeps my costs reasonable. Hurray, we are back on track!

I will attach an "X-Ray" image from Jeff that is very close to the final plan.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-mixer-mark-progress-x-ray-3d-plan-view-6-09-11.jpg  
Old 25th June 2011
Gear nut

So you'll be in Rob/Steve's old space? That's cool!
Old 25th June 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Williams View Post
After a year of looking for a new space, some tenants changed spaces in my current building and I am moving all the way across the hall! It's a slightly odd space made out of two rooms (see below) and i think it will work well.

Clarity Incorporated is my go-to company to create the interior of the new mix room, and Jeff Hedback is once again designing the acoustics. Jeff is the best guy for making small rooms sound great and the combination of Jeff and Clarity keeps my costs reasonable. Hurray, we are back on track!

I will attach an "X-Ray" image from Jeff that is very close to the final plan.
nice! it looks a bit small tough?
Old 25th June 2011
Gear Nut

It's compact for sure! I consider it the MG-B of mix rooms. Of course my current space is 10' by 12' so the new room is a bit larger.

I've recorded a lot of projects in mobile trucks over the years so this just feels like that sort of compact-ness to me.
Old 26th June 2011
Gear Addict

Mark - thanks for sharing your build.Hope to see more details of how Jeff is accomplishing your sonic targets

thx
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Nut

The Clarity Inc guys are beginning to build the acoustic devices for the walls off site and we are meeting today to talk some details.

Jeff is an ace at making a small space work well and I am excited to be moving into the new space.

With several mix projects in house, I'm doing something of a tap dance to try and plan the downtime for the move. My hope is to avoid having any projects straddle the change but that may still happen. The improved rig will be substantially different and any projects that go from one room to the other will need some reconfiguring.

Wish me luck!
Old 28th June 2011
Gear Nut

My current system was put together to find out whether I had a market for my mix work using my own small room (it turns out I did).

The current interface is a MOTU 2408 Mk3 (Big Ben clock) along with a few more channels from an old 1224 to interface some equalizers. Basically it is set up as a straight pipe with a single stereo mix coming from two analog outs (essentially one stem) plus other analog outs that feed submixes to various pieces of analog equipment. All the analog signals are collected on a stereo line mixer, then to a modified Manley Vari-MU, to an Apogee PSX-100 A to D, and back into two tracks in the software.

The new system will have a total of 16 I/O (Apogee AD-16 and DA-16), 18 console line inputs (two of them stereo), and patchable access to more outboard gear. Multiple stems, and outboard patching directly to console inserts will really expand my palette for mixing. You can see how projects that cross over to the new system will have many more options and I will WANT to reconfigure them !
Old 29th June 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like a cool hybrid setup!
Old 1st July 2011
Gear Nut

Just trying to use stuff that sounds good! That may seem obvious but I believe in selecting hardware that makes a certain contribution to the sonics of a mix. I have a rebuilt 1980 MCI 2-track machine because I think the best tape plugin is a tape machine....that you plug in!
Old 2nd July 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Just trying to use stuff that sounds good! That may seem obvious but I believe in selecting hardware that makes a certain contribution to the sonics of a mix. I have a rebuilt 1980 MCI 2-track machine because I think the best tape plugin is a tape machine....that you plug in!
Now THAT's a novel idea?

I keep reading people talk about all the awesome plug-ins they have and a part of me wants to have all the best plugs, then I go buy another mic or compressor. Maybe I'm just a real knob addict.
Old 3rd July 2011
Gear Nut

Some plugins are absolute magic. And some are at least decent imitations of real stuff (I like the UAD stuff pretty well) but it's hard to beat the real thing.
Old 11th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Some plugins are absolute magic.
Which ones!?! Which ones!?!

I'd love to hear about your favorites.
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Nut

The Melodyne products are amazing to me. I want to learn how to use their software more deeply but I have been using Studio for vocal pitch correction for several years. Melodyne Editor is potentially a game-changer, too.

UAD plugs sound more like real equipment to me than other virtual stuff I have tried, although I know there are lots of great options out there. The Fairchild plug is quite good and I've personally A-B'ed it with a real Fairchild at Oceanway Nashville Studio B where I used to mix sometimes. Ultimately real stuff sounds better but I do like the UAD stuff as a rule.

BUT, this thread is about building a mix room so I'll have some new stuff about that soon, thanks.
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
BUT, this thread is about building a mix room so I'll have some new stuff about that soon, thanks.
Sorry Mark, you're right - didn't mean to steer this off topic! Thanks for replying, and I'm looking forward to seeing your new room take shape. Cheers!
Old 12th July 2011
Gear Nut

Not a problem. I just don't think I have a very wide knowledge of plugs beyond what I personally use anyway.

Should have some pictures soon. The acoustic devices are being built off site and the custom monitors may now have a truly dramatic cabinet form, so check back for more news in the next week or two, thanks!
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Nut

The acoustic devices are being built off site and the parts are starting to be delivered into the space. Doug Burns of Clarity has been making these precisely to Jeff Hedback's design specs. Here's a couple of shots of the stuff coming in:
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-eom-studio-build-3.jpg  
Old 19th July 2011
Gear Nut

this image shows the louvers for the side devices. You can see their position in the "X-Ray" drawing posted previously.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-eom-studio-build-1.jpg  
Old 7th August 2011
Gear Nut

Acoustic devices are going up!

Doug Burns of Clarity Incorporated did a really precise build from Jeff Hedback's designs.

Each of the smaller traps includes about 30 pieces of 3/4" Advantec wood material, plus "limp mass", screen, and cotton acoustic material. It's a big step up from the days when we just stuffed a bunch of fiberglas into boxes!
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-acoustic-devices_2.jpg   Mark's mix room build-acoustic-device_3.jpg  
Old 12th August 2011
Gear Nut

changed the paint color to "martini olive". Jeff had requested it and the Clarity Team was adamant, so who was i to object? Actually, it looks great and really interacts well with the cloth colors on the traps.

Jay Tilyard restored the oak on the MCI desk to it's original oiled finish, leaving the odd dings here and there. It's going to look great!
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-doug-corner-traps_1.jpg   Mark's mix room build-grid-going-.jpg   Mark's mix room build-oak-mci-desk.jpg  
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Looking good!
Cant wait for more pics
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Nut

Here's another:

Doug Burns, the remarkable fabricator with Clarity Inc, is smoothing the cloth on the traps at the front wall where the monitors will be positioned.

The louvers on the side walls are now in place also but I've had a problem finding the track light fixtures I want and the room now very dark for pictures.

More shots soon and we begin moving in the equipment on Monday.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-doug-front-wall.jpg  
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Nut

That is an very nice small studio! I wonder how low do the traps absorb. They are about 8 inches deep?

Best regards,

Peter
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Nut

Jeff hedback will have to answer that for you, so you may need to ask him directly.

I expect though that it is a cumulative and systemic process involving all the traps rather than the performance of a specific trap. All the traps, except the upper corner bass traps and the side louvers, employ limp mass sections, along with a specific air space and an amount of cotton acoustic material.

I'm content to trust Jeff with the theory while I enjoy the acoustics. At this point, all but one small trap are in place and the room has taken on an excellent sense of focus without the smothering anechoic effect some small room can get. From hearing my speaking voice in there, I don't notice any odd resonances in the mid or low mid regions and I think this is going to be an excellent environment for my work.

i'll add one image below of the louvers that are on each side of the room. The picture is dark because I haven't installed the lighting yet and it IS very dark. I'll have to get some work lights while we wait for fixtures to arrive. On Monday we begin moving the equipment into the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Mark's mix room build-louvers-right.jpg  
Old 14th August 2011
Gear Nut

And I'm sorry not to answered your question - I think that some of these are about 8" deep. Others look like 10" or so.
Old 15th August 2011
Gear Nut

No problem:-). Your room is small and you keep "a lot off space" with this threatment on your backwall. In most small studio's you see big basstraps in the corners.

I'm looking forward for the new pictures.

Best regards,

Peter
Old 15th August 2011
Gear Nut

This room is definitely compact. Smaller rooms need to be well controlled but I don't like the sensation of an anechoic (or near anechoic) space. I think this little mix room will be a very pleasant balance of control with some life from the lightly covered louvers in particular.

My work for decades was in premium and often large control rooms but I've had to face the reality of changes to my clients and the budgets they have for my work. This compact but effective room for my own work is my answer.
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Nut

What are the dimensions of your room? You don't see many photo diaries of compact professional designed studios.

I'm in the progress to design/ let design a small home studio: 2.42meter h, 3.42 w and 5.08l. So I like to read this diaries:-).

Best regards,

Peter
Old 16th August 2011
Hy Mark! Your place looks great. I'm building a studio myself and I was considering a similar green (w/white trim). Man, picking colors is a tougher decision than I imagined. Not sure if I want earthy or vibrant.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search