The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building my new Composition Desk
Old 31st December 2010

So after not being able to find a comfortable working set-up using a desk and keyboard stand, etc etc. I decided to go all out and build my own desk. I'd always loved the look of the Doepfer keyboards that alot of the Remote Control guys have been using. So I tracked down a used LMK4+ and had it shipped over from LA; sadly it arrived shipped in just the built in case and not in a box of any kind...Long story short, the seller disappeared and I was stuck forking out repair bills...

So after I got the keyboard fixed it was time to set out and find a builder, and after long searching I decided I'd be the best builder haha. Seriously Argosy, Sound Construction and KK Audio make great desks but the prices are a bit un real to me. So with the help of a friend of mine we have started this build.

I then decided on a similar design to that of James Newton Howards custom built desk that its included in the photo's below.

At the time of starting this thread we are in the first stage of clearing process, using a poly semi-gloss. I'm on a new computer and don't have the starting photo's but I'll add those from another computer soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Building my new Composition Desk-jnh-desk-1.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-jnh-desk-2.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-center-desk-empty.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-center-desk-lmk4-test-fit.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-rear-cable-pathways.jpg  

Building my new Composition Desk-side-racks.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-pieces-before-stain.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-first-coat-stain.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-first-coat-after-drying.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-after-first-coat-stain.jpg  

Old 31st December 2010
More photo's
Attached Thumbnails
Building my new Composition Desk-putting-first-coat-semo-gloss.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-first-coat-semi-gloss-halfway-through-drying.jpg  
Old 1st January 2011
Lives for gear

looking good!
thumbsup
Old 1st January 2011
Finishing the second coat of poly tonight, then should be able to start assembly tuesday evening.
Old 2nd January 2011

Second coat just applied to what will be the top of my Left Rack!
Attached Thumbnails
Building my new Composition Desk-imageuploadedbygearslutz.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2011
Lives for gear

Time for that one, now :

Old 2nd January 2011

After seeing how the pieces dried last night we may purposely leave it un-buffed in order to create that antique black look. Also I have a friend that is a pro distressor of wood haha! He builds these amazing drums and puts cuts and dings on them to create a battlefield used effect, we may do that to this desk for a display piece. We have had a lot of inquiries about building other desks as we have a direct connection to the best high dollar lumber yard around our area.
Old 5th January 2011
So good news! The desk couldn't be coming along at a better pace. I got offered my first indie film project, should have the rough cuts around mid February!
Old 15th January 2011
Lives for gear
Look forward to seeing more pics!
Old 18th January 2011
Sorry I haven't gotten much more done, it's been crazy trying to find time for it, which sucks because I have to get back to writing music asap!
Old 29th January 2011
Starting final Rabbid and Routing today! So hopefully the center section should be complete today or tomorrow. Pics to come soon!
Old 29th January 2011
Administrator

Hi Brad,
Very special job you've done there!thumbsupthumbsup

Graham
Old 29th January 2011
Gear Nut

That's a great project - I'm looking forward to seeing the finished build!

Inspiring for me, too - I'm planning to build a custom desk and have a similar design in mind, although with mine I'm planning to have a removable panel over the keyboard, so that I can have a larger flat desk surface when I'm not playing the controller keyboard.

What are you using for materials? Hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like 3/4 plywood for the main panels?

Nice work!
Old 30th January 2011
Yes we are using 3/4" Red Birch from a Mill; if we would've stained it a Cherry finish you wouldn't have been able to tell the veneer from real Cherry. This project has def been slow due to work schedules and it has been fun learning and making mistakes to get it as close to perfect as it can be.

We didn't get to far today because my fiance called and said our heat was out and turns out a Heat Transfer or something is cracked in the main unit and is slowly leaking poisonous carbon monoxide into our home... So we didn't get much done as we had to make plans to stay somewhere else for the remainder of the weekend.

Here are the photos
Attached Thumbnails
Building my new Composition Desk-side-supports.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-top-test-fitted.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-low-side-angle.jpg   Building my new Composition Desk-back.jpg  
Old 30th January 2011
If you noticed we are going to have to cut the opening mouth of the shelf over the keyboard out a bit deeper (5/8" to be exact) because we decided to do the front of the key cover a bit differently. Hopefully I'll have the center section (or the desk minus the racks) here at my place Monday or Tuesday.
Old 30th January 2011
Lives for gear

This is sooo what I need. Are you going to make a little lid to cover the keys as well?

You've got the right idea. I want to do something similar but don't have the nerve to dismantle a keyboard like that!
Old 30th January 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by zephonic View Post
This is sooo what I need. Are you going to make a little lid to cover the keys as well?

You've got the right idea. I want to do something similar but don't have the nerve to dismantle a keyboard like that!
No, no lid for this one it will be used way too much to need a lid. As far as the disassemble process, on the LMK4 and other Doepfer's there is only two leads attached to the controller so really simple. And the only thing really needed to get it out of the case were about a dozen or so screws.
Old 18th February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradWilbanks View Post
As far as the disassemble process, on the LMK4 and other Doepfer's there is only two leads attached to the controller so really simple. And the only thing really needed to get it out of the case were about a dozen or so screws.
Is there an instruction manual on disassembly? or did you just do it yourself?
desk looks amazing!
Do you do designs?
Old 18th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eanan Patterson View Post
Is there an instruction manual on disassembly? or did you just do it yourself?
desk looks amazing!
Do you do designs?
No book on disassembly, I just did it myself; as far as designs yes I can, PM if you are interested.
Old 21st February 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
No book on disassembly, I just did it myself; as far as designs yes I can, PM if you are interested.
sent you a PM Brad
Old 27th February 2011
Still not finished with staining the trim but needed a working environment for a quick project...
Still have to put the racks on wheels to bring them up to level with the shelf over the keys...

Old 27th February 2011
Lives for gear

Juicy !!! Didn't you think for a cover when no need to play your keyboard ? Could be fine…
Old 27th February 2011
No I didnt want a cover because the desk sits very low and the shelf where the mixer and stuff sits is in a very comfortable reaching distance and it feels natural, and I do my actually writing composition on my wifes drawing desk.
Old 28th February 2011
Until the proper cable pathways, rack rails and trim are installed soon this is my current setup!

Old 28th February 2011
Gear Nut

Looking great! Im planning on build my own desk too as soon as that 2-3feet of snow melts out

I would like to know how much it cost you approximatly, if you dont mind of course...Just to compare with some of those overpriced commercial workstation...not to name any
Old 28th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max 002 View Post
Looking great! Im planning on build my own desk too as soon as that 2-3feet of snow melts out

I would like to know how much it cost you approximatly, if you dont mind of course...Just to compare with some of those overpriced commercial workstation...not to name any
Awesome yeah man if I were to build a desk to these exact specifications I'd charge around 1500-2000 before shipping, because it's a lot of hours but in material I've got about 600 or so invested but I get my lumber from a specialty cabinet distributor, so I get premium wood cheaper than Lowes or Home Depot can dream of!
Old 2nd March 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
because it's a lot of hours
That's what make you love your own desk even more
Old 4th March 2011
Lives for gear

Beautiful! Great job!
Old 9th March 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Until the proper cable pathways, rack rails and trim are installed soon this is my current setup!

Hey wouldnt a moving shelf that covers the keyboard be useful in this case!

Hmm... You've given me ideas....
Old 9th March 2011
Hey guys so after all this time and hard work it turns out my keyboard has been corrupted. I purchased it off eBay and it was trashed in shipping, I was told it was fixed by local tech and the action and such was, but apparently the internal logic was just t-totally destroyed. So it's off keyboard hunting and I'm skeptical about buying another Doepfer because they are re-designing the LMK Series due to a discontinued Fatar keybed. So it's either wait for the new one or just buy something more generic along the lines of the korg or yamaha series.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search