The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reflective Productions & Recording LLC New Room! Studio Monitors
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Reflective Productions & Recording LLC New Room!

Hey Everyone,
Merry (belated) Christmas and may you all have a Happy New Year! I wanted to share and get feedback on my new room build! The original room was 16'9"W x 28'L x 9'10"H. The final build space for the control room alone is 15'W x 21'L x 7'10"H. All walls and ceilings are 2x6 decoupled
with the exception of the rear which are two decoupled 2x10 walls with a 10" air space! All walls and ceilings have double 5/8" drywall. All doors are 1 3/4 Fire Rated Composite Doors! A local construction company went out of business and I got all of my doors for $5 each!!! These doors are $500-$700 new!!! The walls, corners, and cloud trapping are made of 1 x 6 Pine with 4" of Roxul Rockboard 60 Mineral Wool in them. However, the rear wall has three 1 x 10 Pine traps with 8" (2pcs of 4" layered) of Roxul Rockboard 60. This is all in the basement of my home. It sounds amazing to me!

Here's the room curve with my sub crossed over at 150hz

Here are some pictures!
Original Space

Front of Control Room

Control Room Front Left

Control Room Front Right

Control Room Rear

Control Room Right Rear

Control Room Left Rear

Producer's Station built with 80/20 Extruded Aluminum. It's pricey but great for heavy duty racks!

My Rig!

The doors on the Right Rear are to my two ISO booths and the smaller door goes to my Machine Room. Also, I live in Michigan and we have cold winters. So, for cooling in the winter time I built a "Motor Starter" circuit that uses a programmable thermostat to turn on a 6" Ductstat Fan for cooling! It works amazingly! I snaked 2 6" runs in the rear ceiling which quietly lets fresh cool air fall into the control room! I installed ducting that will allow me to exhaust the hot air from the portable, roll around air conditioner to the unfinished side of my basement if I need to. The exhaust ducting will serve as a feed for an Air Handler feed which I hope to install in the spring.
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear
Where are you in MI? An ~10' deep basement is pretty awesome. Are you doing postproduction? It seems that you have a very absorbant surface to much of your wall space. I'd be concerned that the room may be too dry. Do you plan to add any diffusion? How long did the build take to complete?
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Reflective Productions & Recording LLC New Room sound

Hey Syncamorea,
* I'm in Mount Morris, Michigan i.e. about 65 miles north of Detroit.

* Yes, the 10ft basement has been a blessing! It made it very east to do my " 2x6 room within a room" build.
*As far as the room sound, it's not anechoic at all. My mixes are transferring well on other systems too. I believe the untreated walls, doors, and hardwood flooring are giving me decent diffusion. I may experiment with some custom QRD diffusors though.
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Addict

You've made some interesting color choices!! What's with the green?? It looks like it's very quiet in there! Nice job! thumbsup
Old 28th December 2010
Gear Head

Reflective Productions & Recording LLC color scheme?

Hey Downsound,
Thanks for the compliment on the room. It is quiet and it sounds good too! As far as the color scheme goes; the burnt orange/rust color was from 2 gallons of brand new paint that we never used from my wife's salon. The light gold color is actually the color of the foyer on the 1st level of my home. My home has multiple colored walls so I thought it would be cool to multi color the studio also. The green, well, that soffit got "enlarged" due to some construction errors while trying to "box-in" the floor support beam under my family room so I decided to do something weird to remind me of it. I call it Michigan State University green! My oldest daughter goes to University of Michigan which is Blue and Gold. However, my youngest may go to the "green" Michigan State University next year! The fabric came from a local fabric store here that sells fabric for upholstery. The black poka-dotted fabric is actually a "Steel Case" furniture remnant. When you reverse the fabric you get the reddish orange color with poka-dots! The rest of the trapping is covered with a light weight micro-suede fabric. Got pic's of your studio?
Old 28th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar012001 View Post
I believe the untreated walls, doors, and hardwood flooring are giving me decent diffusion.
reflection yes, but diffusion no.
Old 30th December 2010
Gear Addict

I'm an MSU graduate, so the green works for me! I have a basement studio, too (here in Chicago), but I didn't have the cieling luxury that you had. I did two layers of 5/8" drywall with green glue right to the joists. It actually turned out okay - probably more isolation than I initially expected. I really should post some pics . . . .
Old 5th January 2011
Gear Nut

Great space!
I am also an MSU grad. Go State!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search