The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool Consoles
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by deft_bonz View Post
Hope you got a decent bandwidth. Did you take cable or DSL? Or even fibre?
We have gone for a dedicated fibre connection which is transmitted to and from a nearby chimney to our building via a licensed gigabit microwave link.

Basically, where the chimney is, there is a gigabit fibre bearer to one of the UK's main servers in Manchester. Our service provider installs the wireless equipment between the chimney and our building. Because the wireless get can handle upto a gig each way, we choose our connection speed. No one else shared this fibre connection to the main hub in Manchester.
Old 7th May 2012
Niiiiice... and provided that your pin is fast and steady, there should be nothing in your way to do some online sessions with musicians all over the world heh

I also like to have a gig connection. But the prices are way too expensive just for satisfying my sluttiness, although I work for a telco company selling business solutions up to 30 gig and could a discount
Old 3rd June 2012
Lives for gear

More news soon

Hi- been very busy recently as you can imagine getting the inside completed and will have some news to tell you all soon.

Cheers

Andy
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear
Can't wait.
Old 6th June 2012
Here for the gear

WOW! What a great thread . I have just spent all morning going through it, i must say what potential this place has. Going through the posts I have seen 3 or 4 opening dates that have already passed, are you even working to a plan? or are you making it up as you go along? (suicide when it comes to a budget). I also noticed you have a website but the place is not open, surely that is a backwards business model no? Wouldn't a website better suit a place once its open for business?, surely it just add's to the pressure to get the place finished? especially if you end up getting flooded with emails from future clients frequently asking when when when? . To me it seems like the whole project has been built backwards , to some extend, with no organisation; well that is just my professional judgement as a project manager so I wish you guy's much luck! . Tip for the future never announce dates until a product or project is finished that way you can deliver and keep clients/your market happy. I'l stay posted, you guy's stay focused on the goal!

Hend
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Cheers for the reply

Hi - thanks for the reply

We're always keen to listen to constructive comments :-)

Well the update is we're getting there -and at the final stages of wiring/ last of the finishing joinery ( which is taking a long time due to the work involved and the use of bespoke materials ) - carpets - and decorating -

The work involved not to mention th
e financial cost has been a massive commitment- we are under a lot of pressure to open ASAP and we are working towards this goal- believe me WE ARE .

And we could have actually finished by now if I wanted to go down the standard construction route reference finishing materials- I decided against advice to the contrary to use bespoke timbers for finishing where we could to give an individuality to the finished building - this has added months onto the finishing time not to mention many £1000's onto the cost.

We have not had the luxury of being able to professionally project manage the build- this would of added at least £70k onto the overall cost- this was unaffordable- and if it was affordable the bespoke nature of the building would have taken a hit because of it.

We have done everything in house as best we can- Roger has been at the end of the telephone for us for advice and has never failed to deliver for us.

We have built something truly unique and fabulous here in the UK- we can't wait to show you all some pictures of the finished article we really can't !!!!

We hope to be completly finished for 1st 2nd week in August 2012 :-)

We are all making a special effort to work towards this.

Thanks for your comments - its all appreciated !!!!!

Best

Andy Bramhall
Old 7th June 2012
Here for the gear

We have built something truly unique and fabulous here in the UK- we can't wait to show you all some pictures of the finished article we really can't !!!!

I agree and cannot wait to see the results for myself .

Good luck and work hard guys judging by the pictures you have workers willing to get on with it which is a good ; a dying trait in these current times.

H
Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

Cheers

Cheers H
:-)
Andy
Old 7th June 2012
Ladies ladies...... Deadlines, what are deadlines..... We're talking exotic woods. What musician can't relate to well sculpted woods.... A luthier overdue is a luthier who gives you more than you have asked for...

And for all those bosses here on gearslutz.... Whatyalike a Whiskey wich has been in a barrel for 2 years or one that's from a 15 year old barrel.... We all know what's what....

And no project manager? We all know homemade cake tastes the best!!!

Old 7th June 2012
Lives for gear

excellent !!!!!!!

very very true !!!!

Cheers bro

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
Ladies ladies...... Deadlines, what are deadlines..... We're talking exotic woods. What musician can't relate to well sculpted woods.... A luthier overdue is a luthier who gives you more than you have asked for...

And for all those bosses here on gearslutz.... Whatyalike a Whiskey wich has been in a barrel for 2 years or one that's from a 15 year old barrel.... We all know what's what....

And no project manager? We all know homemade cake tastes the best!!!

Old 8th June 2012
Here for the gear

:o

Well put. There's always something better about homemade cake or more so the sausage soup here! it beats the canned products .

If time and expenditure is in Andy's favour then your right , i was just judging by what i have seen and read and I was just offering a professional opinion , nothing more , although am sure Andy knows that.

Reading back at the original post i made it did seem abrupt but that's how we do it in the mountain tops its far too cold here to be any other way.

H

Old 8th June 2012
Lives for gear

Its all cool H

Its all cool H :-)

We're all entitled to an opinion !!!

I took your comments as valid and your right about deadlines!

Thing is if your striving for something a little special then the build becomes a constantly evolving animal- we have spent ALOT of money on finishing work and detail - but this sets projects apart !

We chose walnut - America Ash as the staple finishing woods for the place- it cost more to use these woods but the labour was identical whether we used these woods or basic soft woods - labour is as we all know a major part of any builds budget- fortunately I had the budget and vision ( not being bigheaded here but you need both FACT )to use premium woods and I have had access to a world class woodworker - Graham Broady - all these factors add up to an exceptional end result- we hope you love the place when we're done !!!

Keep the comment coming ladies and gentlemen !!!

It's all taken in good spirit !!!

Have a good weekend !!!

Best

Andy
Old 9th June 2012
Gear Addict

Keep up the good work Andy...

I am still waiting to see more pics...not before mid-August...

Oh well, I guess I have time now to watch Euro 2012 games
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Fantastic

This has been such and interesting and educational build for us readers,
not many people would have the big brass ones in this current climate to do it right like you guys have.
I was amongst the sceptics at the start of your project, but i think once you adopted the film and soundtracks elements in to your desk and design i felt a that you may well make a great successes story of this.

Any which way i admire you for what you are building, your choices, and your guts.

heres to a happy opening, and heres to a blistering first year, first of many blistering, busy studio years.

steve
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Hi mate

Hey bud

Pm me your e mail address

We'll talk :-)

Best

Andy
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

Cheers Steve

Cheers Steve !!!!!

Kind words mate

Appreciated greatly !!!!!

Joe will be up again soon !!!!

Talk soon

Andy
Old 9th June 2012
Lives for gear

And yes Steve

Yes mate if we hadn't of invested in the SP2 and STEM MAKER - then we'd be dead in the water - 88rs or no 88rs -

We can do the music gear as you know but it's about paying bills and staying afloat - first year will be hard but we have had interest shown from Geoff and Simon and it's this work that will keep us going -

Music gears great but film and game will pay the bills!!

At least that's the plan :-)

Best

Andy
Old 15th June 2012
Lives for gear
Need. More. Pictures!!!
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Just saw your pictures on the ATC Facebook group - very envious!
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

These pics?

Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear
I get an eerie chest compression feeling when I see those monitors.
Old 18th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool-black-hole.pngPhoto courtesy of Alain r @ wikipedia
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

That's the one. I'm in the process of acquiring some ATCs as we speak, but only the little ones.

Absolutely stunning speakers - the best there is.
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
Attachment 296780Photo courtesy of Alain r @ wikipedia
That's awesome!
Old 19th June 2012
Gear Nut

I also think ATC is a great choice, I have never had the chance to listen to big PMCs or Barefoot but have had -or worked with- almost any "standard" brand of monitors from Genelec to Dynaudio and ATC are my favourite ones, they are soft and creamy but very detailed to my ears -does it makes sense?-.
Anyway I have to polish a bit my room's acoustics, as I still feel more comfortable tracking and even mixing on a pair of Focal Twins which are over the console, nearer than the ATCs (I have the SCM100 ASL and the Twins, like Lowswing here in GS, he helped me with his advice when I had the chance to buy the SCM100).
I would need a very dry room to really enjoy the ATCs or other pair of big monitors -mine aren't soffited, I had no acoustician at hand and didn't dare-. My previous room was built by myself over the years and ended being almost anechoic, ala "non environment", and sometimes I miss that sound -or lack of it-
Excuse my English.
Old 20th June 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncamorea View Post
Awesome...
Old 22nd June 2012
I know everybody's really keen for updates so just to further on ChubbFingers' teasy ATC post...

The build is going fantastically well but, when you want the best, sometimes things take longer than expected. As mentioned our joiner, Graham, really is phenomenal and the studio wouldn't look or feel half as good without him.

We have been installing lots of electrical-type things such as Wi-Fi controlled lighting throughout the building (complete with iPhone/iPad app), security and fire alarms, cabling from the machine room to the racks and speakers etc. As you can see the left- and centre-channel speakers are now in place on their stands and are ready to go. The right-hand cavity is not yet filled as all of our cabling is coming through the back of it.

As an aside, I heard the same speakers at British Grove Studios a few weeks back and they are, without a doubt, the best mains I've ever heard. ATC are the bomb!

The racking is all now manufactured and in situ, and looks simply stunning. We've opted to have three of the racks be front AND top loading (the ones on extreme left and right) so that we can get more of our gear in. The middle two are taller and will contain the patch bay, so that it's always within reach of the engineer, and two more slightly lower will also have table tops, making 7 'producer table' racks in all. A further two racks have been made which will sit at either side of the console, as well as a floor-to-ceiling rack in the Toy Cupboard at the rear of the control room to contain all extraneous gear not being used on the session.

We just spec'd out our machine room racking and it's looking at being 5x 7' tall 44U racks to house everything. The gear in here will be going in very soon!

On the live room side of things, the new booth is constructed and we have just finished all the acoustic treatment including the perforated resonator panels for the ceiling. The HVAC in there is all ready to go except to acoustically treat the vents.

Both of our 2" Studer tape machines have been recapped/recalibrated and they are absolutely sweet. A huge thank you to our tech genius Andy Poppelwell for seeing to them. We also have a couple of 1/2" and 1/4" machines but as yet we haven't given them much attention.

Finally we've asked for a quote to get a SmartWater system into the building. You can never be too careful!

Thanks again to everybody for all your interest in the build. We're not far away now!
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

Cheers mate

Hey T

Cheers for the up date on the build..... :-)

Things always take a little longer when your striving for greatness !!!!!

This room without a doubt will be one of the finest mix spaces in the world- up there with the big boys in every way.....

We're getting there.....

"The Fingers" had a conversation today with Ole Jensen VP of sales at TC Electronics in Denmark....... we've been given a proposition about up grading our 4 M6000 Mainframes to the MK2 versions- Ole is a great guy and has said AB is a very important studio/client for them to have in the UK and we will be getting support all the way from them....... he's even travelling to us for the opening night from Denmark !!!

What a guy !!!!!

Hey thanks for the up date again mate !!!

You know this place isn't run of the mill !!! This is the reason everything is taking forever to get done :-( We got the kick plates today for the studio doors - these are going into paint next week- we are trying to get the screws anodised Orange to match the paint of the door handles and plates- this is how anal things have been !!!!!!......... but I tell myself it will all be worth it in the end.......

See you soon mate

Andy
Old 1st July 2012
Lives for gear

had a good week

just keeping you posted

we had a good week this week- final glass was fitted into the booth window- final walnut archs and skirts virtually done- there was a delay on the walnut - but we got it in last week and Grahams been working hard getting it fixed.

Picked the new diffuser panels up from the moulding company- Rick and Greg powered these up yesterday- Graham will be fixing these up this week-

I ordered the illuminating light panels that will light up our bespoke glass ( made by Melt Designs of Liverpool ) on the rear diffuser wall on Thursday- these will take 2 weeks to manufacture-

The door handles kick plates and door opener covers were picked up from the painters last week- great job !!

The lads are in next week- Josh Tony Pete grafting again!!!!

For those of you interested we are still posting a few photos up on our Facebook page off our website !!!

Analogue Baby - World-Class Surround-Capable Mixing & Tracking Facility

Follow the facebook link on the homepage-

Cheers for your interest !!!

Have a good weekend

Andy
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear
Dammit we need more photos!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search