The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool Consoles
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
What are you on about? What thumbnails?
My previous post, my iPad decided to add a picture and now I can't remove it?
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
My previous post, my iPad decided to add a picture and now I can't remove it?
nice carpet though

edit.... go advanced and scroll down all the way

@analog guys: GO BABY GO!!!!
Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

The twins are roled into there final resting place today!

Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

Here are some propper shots of the finished fabric'ing, just a few little areas of black to do when it arrives now............

Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

We also knocked some walls down to make the new liveroom entrance! Just knocking out an old doorway really opened the old kitchen space out, its now an ideal area for a mic locker and mic stand storage! (We need to buy some decent mics first though! )

Old 19th December 2011
Lives for gear

New doorway into extended liveroom...............

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

More wall was opened up today, the old doors and windows were removed.

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Gra constructed ladder frames in the back of the liveroom, thats the only large space we have left to construct studa at the moment!

These are the fool plates where the studs will sit. Its a double wall construction.

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

Me and louie did some drilling!

Old 20th December 2011
Lives for gear

This is where the cables pass from the machine room into the control room................

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Yet another eye opener today with the cabling / cost of

Well just had a shocker today when Greg told me 200m of 12 channel VDC studio grade cable went absolutely NOWHERE :-( :-(

I had to order another 400m off VDC today for delivery tomorrow - that SP2 and Stem Maker option has increased the cabling by massive amounts and I mean massive amounts.

Greg will be posting pictures later

Thanks

Andy
Old 21st December 2011
That's right, Andy - Louie and I ran 11 lengths of the 12-core Van Damme today and that was two reels' worth! It sure doesn't go far. However there's a fair bit left over from those two drums to create tails to XLR which is handy. All of the speaker cables are now run through to the machine room, and we opened up one of the ATC P4 amps to take a look at the connections, they're amazing-looking machines!

Graham also installed the uprights and some noggins for the new stud walls which will form the rear wall of the booth. Now that it's up I'm surprised as how roomy the booth will be - it looked smaller when there was no studding to measure it by.
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Cheers Tony

Yes mate

Cables go nowhere- take a number and tripple it to be honest.

Today 400M cost just under £3000- it's like unreal- Greg reckons the stem option alone will count for another 15 runs :-( that's another 200M another £1.5 K ..... And this is trade pricing ........

It's got to be done........ Simple as that......

All the cabling in the old studio was solid silver Zaolla ( mic cables included ) that cost another fortune- hopefully we can salvage some ties from that lot.....

Thanks Tony for today- its not going Un -noticed ............when your all back off holidays I'm booking the local chinese for a serious meal.......

Big day today running the some audio lines out :-)

Have a good Chrsitmas mate

Andy Liz Jack oh and Chubbfingers !!!!!!
Old 21st December 2011
Those solid silver cables are mighty impressive - we've been making sure we keep them safe off to one side so they don't get damaged at all.

Looking forward to the chinese! In the meantime, have a cracking Christmas Andy and I'll see you in the New Year. 2012 will be a good one, I feel!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

All the best

Yes Tony

Same to you bud

All the best

Andy
Old 21st December 2011
Gear Addict

God that floor looks cool !!!

Little tip keep every last drop of cable for the scrap man that you don't use you may get over £100 rubble bag for high grade copper cable (Ok drop in the ocean cost wise but may just get you few can of beer for the opening)
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Greg

Studding looks good- the booth will be ample big enough

Is that the actual sample?

Does the green go really well with the orange and black background??

Do you need any more materials tomorrow for the studding?

Andy
Old 22nd December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by emearg_s View Post
God that floor looks cool !!!

Little tip keep every last drop of cable for the scrap man that you don't use you may get over £100 rubble bag for high grade copper cable (Ok drop in the ocean cost wise but may just get you few can of beer for the opening)
Or a spare fader-cap for the Neve heh
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
All of the speaker cables are now run through to the machine room, and we opened up one of the ATC P4 amps to take a look at the connections, they're amazing-looking machines!
Hi Tony,

so are you installing the P4 amps in the machine room? We will be installing some here as well soon in a new control room and I was wondering if the amps are too noisy or not (fans). We are in doubt if we install them in the machine room or under the ATC speakers in the wall, which allows for shorter speaker cable.

What´s your opinion, considering your own experience? Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo m View Post
Hi Tony,

so are you installing the P4 amps in the machine room? We will be installing some here as well soon in a new control room and I was wondering if the amps are too noisy or not (fans). We are in doubt if we install them in the machine room or under the ATC speakers in the wall, which allows for shorter speaker cable.

What´s your opinion, considering your own experience? Thanks
I chose to house them in the machine room so that they can be kept nice and chilled. ATC asked me what lengths of cable we required and they matched the cable gauge accordingly.

Ill let you know how noisy they are when we power them up but I feel that the best place for power amps is in the machine room.

G
Old 22nd December 2011
Hey Paolo,

As Bassjam says, we haven't actually powered up our amps yet, though we expect them to be fairly noisy. As you probably know the 150s (our rear speakers) are active, but ATC give you the option to detach the amps to be housed elsewhere and run cable.
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi Bassjam and Tony,

thanks for your replies. We´ll be having the 200´s in one room and the 150´s in another smaller room. Only stereo kits though.

5.1 will be handled by 25A´s and sub combi.

I also suspect about the P4´s being noisy. Please let me know when you power yours(the P4´s). I guess that the fans will adjust to heat or power drive, but after a long session, they will be at max probably.

Interesting the option to run the amps of the 150´s out of the cabinets. I´ll check that. Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Bassjam and Tony,

thanks for your replies. We´ll be having the 200´s in one room and the 150´s in another smaller room. Only stereo kits though.

5.1 will be handled by 25A´s and sub combi.

I also suspect about the P4´s being noisy. Please let me know when you power yours(the P4´s). I guess that the fans will adjust to heat or power drive, but after a long session, they will be at max probably.

Interesting the option to run the amps of the 150´s out of the cabinets. I´ll check that. Thanks
Yes, ATC can supply a special mounting plate so that they can be rack mounted nicely.
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yes, ATC can supply a special mounting plate so that they can be rack mounted nicely.
OK, I´ll check that with the designer.

On another subject, are you having the CLASP Monitor outs half normalled to the Neve´s both Line In and Monitor In?

Or do you prefer to have the DAW converter outs straight in the patchbay and patch the CLASP when needed?

Are you using the Multitrack Returns in the Neve´s remote patchbay customer panel for the CLASP Monitor outs or are you having it in a side patchbay? I couldn´t figure it out by looking at your patchbay layout the other day.

Paulo
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I´ll check that with the designer.

On another subject, are you having the CLASP Monitor outs half normalled to the Neve´s both Line In and Monitor In?

Or do you prefer to have the DAW converter outs straight in the patchbay and patch the CLASP when needed?

Are you using the Multitrack Returns in the Neve´s remote patchbay customer panel for the CLASP Monitor outs or are you having it in a side patchbay? I couldn´t figure it out by looking at your patchbay layout the other day.

Paulo
The CLASP will be completely cross patched in for a couple of reasons:

We may have a session where they don't want to use the CLASP. I'd rather patch it in than patch it out.

What you don't see on the patch layout is our extra rows for the stem maker. When using the stem maker, the channels are sent to the stem busses A-F and can't be sent to the multitrack busses at the same time, it's one or the other, well for the large fader anyway, it is possible to send the small fader to the stem busses and the large to the multitrack. Anyway, because of this, someone may want to patch the CLASP in between the stem busses and the stem monitoring busses.

G
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
The CLASP will be completely cross patched in for a couple of reasons:

We may have a session where they don't want to use the CLASP. I'd rather patch it in than patch it out.

What you don't see on the patch layout is our extra rows for the stem maker. When using the stem maker, the channels are sent to the stem busses A-F and can't be sent to the multitrack busses at the same time, it's one or the other, well for the large fader anyway, it is possible to send the small fader to the stem busses and the large to the multitrack. Anyway, because of this, someone may want to patch the CLASP in between the stem busses and the stem monitoring busses.

G
Humm, there are other ways to avoid having to repatch the CLASP, except when you want to use PT only. PM me with your email and I´ll send you a small suggested connection diagram that Chris Estes from CLASP kindly sent me.

Regardind the stems, I have a doubt. When you don´t have the SP2 panel option (as I believe you didn´t at start), from where within the console signal flow comes the Stem A to D output signals, to feed the recording machine 5.1 inputs(read DAW here)?

Paulo M
Old 23rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Humm, there are other ways to avoid having to repatch the CLASP, except when you want to use PT only. PM me with your email and I´ll send you a small suggested connection diagram that Chris Estes from CLASP kindly sent me.

Regardind the stems, I have a doubt. When you don´t have the SP2 panel option (as I believe you didn´t at start), from where within the console signal flow comes the Stem A to D output signals, to feed the recording machine 5.1 inputs(read DAW here)?

Paulo M
But sometimes we will want to use PT only. As I said, it makes more sense in our studio to fully patch it in and out for maximum versatility.

The stem outputs A-F are from the stem maker, it's another option on top of the SP2 giving a further 6 surround mix busses that can be fed from both the large and small faders. The SP2 is purely a monitoring feature. Non stem maker consoles are able to create discrete channel stems using the multitrack busses. They can be monitored and summed using the SP2. Non SP2 consoles can only monitor a single 5.1 mix bus, SP2 consoles have an assignable 48x3 input monitoring system.

With the stem maker option, the clasp could be patched between the stem outputs and the protools stem recorder with the clasp monitoring feeding the SP2.

G
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search