The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool Consoles
Old 13th December 2011
This could allso be accomplished with mute groups or solo groups. This option is build in in every DAW.

Working with surround now for..... 6 years. And sometimes you gotta make decisions. A second project based on the same wave files can give you a new start.

But hey. I do not own his facility. I just have a feeling this can be done in a more compact way. On the road to the same endproduct. If there is a meeting of the big boys deciding what endproject is gonna go for the next release of a major artist..... Then I understand. Easy A/B/C can then be done.

Enjoy. Great tools. I can only just ....... dream about having acces to such stuff. (Tho God gave me some great tools to work with...) (I'm not a religious man, but think of the man hours that went into all our gear. We take for granted every single day.... Just expressing my gratitude)
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
This could allso be accomplished with mute groups or solo groups. This option is build in in every DAW.
No it can't. Really, it can't - printing multiple stems to 'tape' in one pass?

Big film consoles like the DFC have 12 stems available, so you can print every possible permutation in one pass. It saves hours, which saves $$$ in the long run.
Old 13th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by muziekschuur View Post
7 independent 7.1. mixes will leave you clueless....
As bassjam so rightly pointed out, this is not about completely independent mixes, but mix stems.

Thinking about it last night, I realize that what I'll probably be doing more often is using the matrix as 6 each of a 5.1 stem and a stereo folddown stem. That makes more sense to me, and matches more closely the capabilities of the API vision in the other room.

bassjam: as I said, you have a lot of busses!
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Yes absolutley

Yes

Originally we ordered our desk without any SP2-Stem Maker options- apart from the huge amount of money we saved we foolishly thought we could survive on music alone ??

Big mistake-

We spoke to one of the worlds biggest score mixers who works on an 88R everyday and he said the SP2 panel was a "no brainer" if we wanted to get into score mixing- he said he did have a work around but doubted whether any other engineer would "tolerate" the inconvenience......... when we spoke to him about the "stem maker" he replied- "well we don't have one, British Grove doesn't have one- but Abbey Road does", he said it was a nice thing to have and aided workflow massively-

In short the SP2/Stem maker is a massive upgrade- it makes an immensely capable desk into even more of one- and as Greg has said lets not forget that this is an ANALOGUE console- NOT Digital........ world of difference

And Gregs also right about Robin Porter who is an electronics genius and an absolute pleasure to work with and be around...

And the bottom line for me is I didn't want to spend all this money on a console that fell short at the end when a client rang up and asked if we had a SP2/Stem maker and wanted to score mix a project for game or film ????

Only time will tell if all of this has been worth the risk.....

Cheers

Andy
Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Front panels are up! The room is starting to really come together now!

Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 14th December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 15th December 2011
Old 15th December 2011
Thank you for discussing this with me. There are not alot of people working with it or putting together a rig wich can do so.

I own a small analogue 5.1. desk and some mid range analogue desks and the rest is all digitall. The wires needed now allready come of out my nose..

Much respect for the Analogue Baby studio and Clueless studio.

I still look back when I did my endproject at the SAE. And I asked Philips for a one time replication of a DVD-A/CD combination. The replication company said they would do it if they got approvement from Philips. But Philips said no. Blu-ray players emerged and flopped again (just like DVD-SACD players) due to format wars.

Only years later did surround MP3 (fraunhofer) make it to the market. And years years before that a tour with a QUAD system allmost bankrupted Pink Floyd. But in the long run they made it.

Right now everybody expects movie content combined with surround sound. It is still a problem to get such content delivered to clients. Can Youtube work with dolby digital encoded video material.... The time of hardwareplayers is now past. Everything forward is internetbased...

At Tascamforums.com there is a corner for surround sound. I filled that with as much content relevant to surround sound as I could find. I'm just a small dude. Maybe Michael Tiemann can convince Google to enable this. This would put Philips and Sony at a side. I mean you can playback DSD on selected Sony Vaio laptops. But nowhere else... Just a small sign on the wall.
Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Photobucket is playing up this evening again folks :-(

More lovely walnut door architrave goes on today!

Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Today was the LAST day of fabric frame panels! You can see the 3D shaped "wing panel" above the studio area window is now up!

These are a nightmare to make and fabric but once done right, look amazing!

(sory about the scafold spoiling the pic)

Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

The remaining areas in the room have to be covered by panels made from MDF.

In order to get the same "invisible" effect with the MDF panels that you get with the timber frame panels, you have to add a sharp bead to the perimeter of the MDF panel, this holds the fabric away from the MDF and the panel appears to be invisible behind the fabric!

That was learned the hard way today!

Here is one drying ready for the morning................

Old 15th December 2011
Lives for gear

Oh and we need some black fabric for the main monitor enclosures!

about 30 meters should do it Andy,

thanks now!

Old 16th December 2011
Gear Addict

Still look like psychedelic brothel to me ? do you take credit cards????
I pay any day of the week just to Ogle at the 88rs
Just a bed room 1tb that would love to live the dream like you
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emearg_s View Post
We actually do take credit cards yes!

Roger D'Arcy says that his most successful studios have been the ones with bold colour schemes.

Jenny, the amazing artist from melt designs who produced our glass artwork said that purple is the colour of creativity.

But hey, what would they know?
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emearg_s View Post
Haha! If I've learnt anything about chasing the dream from these guys it's that it's all down to graft, grit and determination. Andy has put a lot of his properly hard earned savings into this, but speaking to him I feel like there was never any question of not doing it. Greg is there every day of the week working his arse off. Then he goes home and (from what I can gather) plugs his brain into a giant knowledge base that feeds technical information to him as he sleeps. It's the only plausible explanation...
Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

I didn't manage to take any proper pics today but here is an iPhone shot!

Also I believe mr Tony D will be posting some!

Tony, Josh and Gra worked really hard today and were only held up on getting the last frame up by the snow! (made the paint take ages to dry)

Old 16th December 2011
Lives for gear

Sweet

Sweet job

We'll be going for that chineese this week if we can
Let Chubbfingers know your availability :-)

Cheers

Gaffa
Old 17th December 2011
Alas, just iPhone photos here too, but they do show the final panels going up covering the sides and back of the T-shaped centre of the ceiling. It's amazing how just these panels make the room feel much more finished and open!

Next to go up will be the wooden panels covering the T-shape down the centre and back of the ceiling. These panels are currently in the process of being polished and will house the lighting over the centre of the room. Once those are in it'll definitely be recognisable as a Recording Architecture room!

NB: notice I managed to capture a lesser-spotted Joiner in one of these pics. A rare sight!
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks Tony

Hey thanks Tony

You have done a good job today mate
!!!!

Thanks for everything !!!!!!!

Andy
?
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Alas: notice I managed to capture a lesser-spotted Joiner in one of these pics. A rare sight!
Ahh yes! A very rare sight! The lesser spotted joiner is very camera shy and difficult to capture in his native habitat! You could win an award for that shot Tony!
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear
One question, have you ever considered a product like Fabritrak or something? We are installing it now and it's extremely easy and with a very tight finish.
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
One question, have you ever considered a product like Fabritrak or something? We are installing it now and it's extremely easy and with a very tight finish.
Yes we did look at it but we couldn't find an experienced installer in our area. Where are you based?
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear
We are based in the Netherlands and installing it ourselves. We don't have dealers and or installers here, but as I understand it Fabritrak installs it too? And we ordered it from the UK so.....?
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
We are based in the Netherlands and installing it ourselves. We don't have dealers and or installers here, but as I understand it Fabritrak installs it too? And we ordered it from the UK so.....?
Our joiner had a previous life as an upholsterer so we decided to let him do it this way. We would have had to make frames for the fabritrak to attach to anyway as the fabric is only 2 metres wide.

I have been told that it's a good system though!
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Fabritrak

The problem we had was to get them to respond to our questions and give us a price ...

I dealt with these people at the time in the UK and they were absolutely useless and I mean useless.......

We decided to do this job ourselves, we actually saved an absolute fortune in the bargain as well.

Andy
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Here Monday

Ordered and here Monday

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Oh and we need some black fabric for the main monitor enclosures!

about 30 meters should do it Andy,

thanks now!

Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Kid View Post
The problem we had was to get them to respond to our questions and give us a price ...

I dealt with these people at the time in the UK and they were absolutely useless and I mean useless.......

We decided to do this job ourselves, we actually saved an absolute fortune in the bargain as well.

Andy
OK, its nothing like my encounter but you are doing an OK job yourselves so........no problem.

Edit: Whats's with the thumbnails??? My iPad made a picture and I can't remove it????WTF
Attached Thumbnails
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool-imageuploadedbygearslutz1324240254.148759.jpg  
Old 18th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Edit: Whats's with the thumbnails??? My iPad made a picture and I can't remove it????WTF
What are you on about? What thumbnails?
Old 19th December 2011
Gear Maniac

You around tomorrow to catch up Andy?

Hey Andy...you around tomorrow (technically today your time already)?

Let's catch up.

Thanks,

Larry Goldsmith
President/Founder - The Recording Arts Foundation
RECORDING ARTS FOUNDATION
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search