The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analogue Baby Studio Liverpool Consoles
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapeOpAl View Post
I'm not being funny, why not just concentrate on getting everything finished and opening? I know while the joiners and other construction folks are doing their thing there's a bit of kicking your heels and it's nice to get excited about gear but are you not at saturation point now? It's not like having or not having a Quantec is going to impact on your appeal at all - is anyone going to ignore the M7, 480, 960 & 6000 and go somewhere else that has a Quantec?
I can assure you there is no heel-kicking going on. Greg's actually overseeing the entire build - he is the construction folks!

There are enough differences in the way the Yardstick works to justify owning one alongside the other reverbs. Really all they are looking to ascertain is whether it is being used by potential clients. It makes sense to ask here as some of those people will be following this thread.

I can see where you're coming from but the idea behind Analogue Baby is to offer clients a zero compromise facility. Greg and Andy have put a lot of time and effort into ensuring that every little detail is carefully considered. If people are using the Quantec it makes sense to have one available.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

The bull**** 'old mics are best' crowd...

Cheers for the comments

However I have experience of so called amazing old school mics are best bollocks.......

I'll cut to the chase quickly, if I wanted to spend £25000 on a vintage mic I could, but why would I want to ???? Just so I can say we have one ????? Is an Neumann U47 or C12 going to be the deal breaker when somebody is considering booking our studio... I seriously doubt it......

When you say we should get some "better mics" what exactly does this mean...???? .. Your saying our mic cupboard is an amateur affair???? I think not....... Have you actually looked at the list ????

Undoubtedly there are some very nice old mic's available but personally I think unless you seriously know what your looking for and know where the mic came from and it's engineering history then it's a serious mugs game...

There are many modern bespoke mic builders this world over who offer near exact copies of the yester- year greats at a fraction of the cost offering warranty and new parts inventory........ Some of these mics sound amazing and are virtually indistinguishable from the originals......

As I've said I have the money to buy most vintage mics as individual pieces but unless these people selling them are prepared to offer warranty and guarantee them like the new bespoke builders of this world namely - Pearlman - Bee Neez, Flea to name just 3 of the many out there then I know where my money is getting spent.......

And if somebody said well I'm not hiring-you unless you have a vintage mic classic on the stand then I'll go and hire one........

I maybe just a guitar player but I've not got cloth ears at all.......

Some modern mics of repute sound drop dead gorgeous.... And let's say they are just 5% off the original but 20 grand less than the original then I know where my money's getting spent every time.....and then some.....

Cheers

Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clueless View Post
Here's your answer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I just thought your mic list was missing some nice vintage stuff, Y'know that killer U47, C12 or pair of U67's..pair of M49's..Fet47, coles.. I can recommend those Lucas mics, they are stunning..I have pair of their CS1's.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Kid View Post

The bull**** 'old mics are best' crowd...

Cheers for the comments

However I have experience of so called amazing old school mics are best bollocks.......

I'll cut to the chase quickly, if I wanted to spend £25000 on a vintage mic I could, but why would I want to ???? Just so I can say we have one ????? Is an Neumann U47 or C12 going to be the deal breaker when somebody is considering booking our studio... I seriously doubt it......

When you say we should get some "better mics" what exactly does this mean...???? .. Your saying our mic cupboard is an amateur affair???? I think not....... Have you actually looked at the list ????

Undoubtedly there are some very nice old mic's available but personally I think unless you seriously know what your looking for and know where the mic came from and it's engineering history then it's a serious mugs game...

There are many modern bespoke mic builders this world over who offer near exact copies of the yester- year greats at a fraction of the cost offering warranty and new parts inventory........ Some of these mics sound amazing and are virtually indistinguishable from the originals......

As I've said I have the money to buy most vintage mics as individual pieces but unless these people selling them are prepared to offer warranty and guanratee them like the new bespoke builders of this world namely - Pearlman - Bee Neez, Flea to name just 3 of the many out there then I know where my money is getting spent.......

And if somebody said well I'm not hiring-you unless you have a vintage mic classic on the stand then I'll go and hire one........

I maybe just a guitar player but I've not got cloth ears at all.......

Some modern mikes of repute sound drop dead gorgeous.... And let's say they are just 5% off the original but 20 grand less than the original then I know where my money's getting spent every time.....and then some.....

Andy
Hey, I was just repsonding to the 'should we buy a quantec reverb?' question. Considering the list of reverb units you already have compared to your mic list(yes I read it), my opinon is; no you shouldn't. I would say 'better' mics would be a much better investment for you. What can I say? As you know the gear list is an intrinsic factor when booking a commerical studio..and the microphones list is hugely important..having a great mic cupboard with the odd C12 or a U47 in there will definitely nfluence customers. One of Abbey Road's most important and legendary assets is it's incredible mic list...which I happen to think is not 'bollocks' ... (I will dig out the pic I took a few months ago while on a session there of the PSU's!) But if you do that is fine..a question was asked..I answered it. Each to his own...

One thing, please don't think im a vintage snob..If you read back I recommended the Lucas brand of mics(and coles)..so If you are going to consider Pearlman etc..you seriously need to hear these first. I have a pair of Lucas CS-1's, they are ridiculously good.

To note: A good U47/8 can be had for £5000-£7000 btw. A U67, £3000-£4000.

EDIT: heres the pic!
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemcmahon View Post
He's trying to make this facility the best in the country, and you can't help but admire that.
Or commiserate
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:

As I've said I have the money to buy most vintage mics as individual pieces but unless these people selling them are prepared to offer warranty and guarantee them like the new bespoke builders of this world namely - Pearlman - Bee Neez, Flea to name just 3 of the many out there then I know where my money is getting spent.......

A big +1
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or commiserate
Have we found an American who understands sarcasm???

;-)
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassjam View Post
Have we found an American who understands sarcasm???

;-)
That would be so ironic ;-)
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

I suppose what I was trying to say is surely you have to draw the line somewhere. You seem to draw the line at vintage mics and my opinion (which was asked for, albeit broadly) is that you could draw the line at the reverbs you have.

You don't think a C12 or U47 is a deal breaker, well I don't think a Quantec is a deal breaker is either - and that's all I wanted to say.
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is one knife?

;-) ;-)
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
HA HA HA!!! Yes it would appear that there is money burning a hole in Tony Draper's pocket!!!

I guess the Quantec is on you then Tony?!?!?

heh
Alas, all my spare cash goes on new jeans...
Old 25th September 2011
Quote:
Thanks Trev! Hope your next phase starts soon!!

Quote:
Yes cheers Trev

Be good to see your place move up a few gears

Andy
Thanks guys! Yeah I hope so too. Just got a bit of manoevering to do before we start the next stage (co-ordinating everything for 3 large new live rooms and a new CR is giving me a headache so I definitely want all of my ducks in a row before I hit the green button!) You guys on the other hand are so close now I can almost feel it!

Dont forget my invitation to the launch party heh
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Thanks guys! Yeah I hope so too. Just got a bit of manoevering to do before we start the next stage (co-ordinating everything for 3 large new live rooms and a new CR is giving me a headache so I definitely want all of my ducks in a row before I hit the green button!) You guys on the other hand are so close now I can almost feel it!

Dont forget my invitation to the launch party heh
If you want me to cast my gaze over your electrical plan please just say the word. Im sure I can drag myself away from the frantic heel kicking!
Old 25th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cheers

A thumbs up from Mr Clueless

Excellent.......

And yes me and Greg would love to visit your place !!!!!

And yes Greg, he understands the English sense of humour..... :-)

Excellent again !!!!!

Andy

Quote:
A big +1
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Like ten thousand spoons when all you need is one knife?

;-) ;-)
Or a spoon and a fork when all you need is a "spork"?
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

:-)

Or a DORK hahahahaha

Quote:
A big +1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklight_uk View Post
Or a spoon and a fork when all you need is a "spork"?
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Haha!
Old 26th September 2011
I've been tinkering about a H3000 myself. But there are some plugins that get me in that neighbourhood... And why not get three footpedals...

I know I have different needs then your studio. But money is money. And there's just a big difference in price between one H3000 and the three pedals..

And then.... When will Bricasti start adding fun filters to it's box? Or maybe offer a new box with those... What would set your studio apart from others... I have a feeling that would be a reall live reverb setup...

If you have a multi room setup (wich most of us home studio people don't) I'm guessing such an approach should be doable. The old studios wich were famous, used some version of reverb cellars or some sort of special reverb setup.

And then this. If you offer the developer of the bricasti a nice payd holliday with one day with him in the studio for some custom effects/reverbs for you, wouldn't that be better money spend then the aqcuisition of a new Yardstick?

I bought piles and piles of equipment for my homestudio. And I did not sell a single piece. But it took me 6 years to get acquinted with all those pieces of gear.

Less is more sometimes I think. Well I dunno. I just thought I'd share. As you are so kind for sharing these amazing images... And would you please stop sharing images of food.... I am completely unable to cook proper english food and every meal I eat (wich I usually enjoy) I turn my potatoes and look for some proper english gravy and the like.heh

Cheers,

Frans
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Other News!

In other news, work starts on Mr B's home studio!

Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or a DORK hahahahaha
Hey what are you trying to say?! heh Ok I am a bit of a dork
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

We ordered the American Black Walnut today that the rear diffuser will be fashioned from! It's gonna look amazing when it's up!

Also me and Andy are off to "Melt designs" in Liverpool who make custom glass wall panels. More about the glass tomorrow!
Old 29th September 2011
oooOOOOOoooooo!
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Had an AMAZING time at Melt Design's studio today!

http://www.meltdesigns.co.uk/

Jen and Gary are great people!

Prepare yourselves for big things people!
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear
Guess, these are gonna be the skylight covers,...right...?
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demor View Post
Guess, these are gonna be the skylight covers,...right...?
Nope! Keep guessing!
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Nope! Keep guessing!
Random, awesome decoration for your walls?
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
Random, awesome decoration for your walls?
Not exactly............
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Not exactly............
The exterior sign? I was under the impression you were going to glue a tape spool to a baby and stick it to the door...
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear
Yes, just ducttape it McGyver style and.....done....
Old 30th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlen View Post
The exterior sign? I was under the impression you were going to glue a tape spool to a baby and stick it to the door...
Er, no!
Old 30th September 2011
Quote:
Er, no!
Then I'm stumped! What's the glass for? heh
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search