The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console! Saturation Plugins
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!

This is a DIY project well underway. I started out with room treatment (3 months ago), and now that that's done, it's time to get slutty, GEARslutty!!!

I'm planning on getting the SSL Nucleus, and I'm designing a custom console to flush mount it. It will also feature 8 rack spaces and a flat surface for a laptop/cellphone/whatever.

These are the models, done with Google SketchUp (go get it, it's free!). If you want the project in 3D, PM me.

I put in some Rossettas, Neves 1073 and UA1176s just for extra sluttiness!

Excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker.
Attached Thumbnails
Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-mesa-consola-frame.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-mesa-consola-full.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-mesa-consola-full2.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-mesa-consola-full3.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-mesa-consola-full-back.jpg  

Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Looks cool! I dig the design. I am wondering why one screen has PT7 and the other has PT8...haha.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrognome View Post
Looks cool! I dig the design. I am wondering why one screen has PT7 and the other has PT8...haha.
Lol, i honestly did not pay attention to that, i just grabed the first screenshots i found on google
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Bump. Anyone else? I spent too much time on this to just let it go unnoticed!
Old 16th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustinZubillaga View Post
Honestly, the desk doesn't look that sturdy. With all those boxes you got quite a bit of weight in it. I'd beef it up somehow somewhere. I don't like the design that much, but that's a personal thing.
Old 16th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by judah View Post
Honestly, the desk doesn't look that sturdy. With all those boxes you got quite a bit of weight in it. I'd beef it up somehow somewhere. I don't like the design that much, but that's a personal thing.
Thanks for the comments, i agree with you, it needs structural revision. What would you change visually to make it more aesthetically pleasing?
Old 18th December 2010
Two pieces of nice wood on either side. That's what gives Argosy consoles their charme aswell. It could allso be MDF well sanded and rounded edges spraypainted in a visual attractive color (wich matches your room).

You could thicken up the legs and underneath the desk some sturdy beams (not too thick)...

Your desk is made for a small room. So keep it small. It has to fit...
Old 20th December 2010
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the comments, appreciated!

I will be posting a new design soon. I'll be meeting with a designer and a carpenter. I think i'll go real wood vs MDF, just because.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, i agree with you, it needs structural revision. What would you change visually to make it more aesthetically pleasing?
I'd make the legs stiffer and also beef up the arm rest a bit. I like the design - be sure to post pictures after you build.
Old 20th December 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Agustin, this is the one we're gonna build (if we finalize the idea of goin' with the Euphonix instead of a ProControl). It might suit your taste or it might not. I kinda like it, most probably 'cause I designed it myself.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/6114247-post162.html

Good luck.
Old 12th January 2011
Gear Maniac

Both of those look great, although I would definitely beef up the legs for the first one.

I'm about 90% done with my new production desk build. I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

I thought I would be getting a Nucleus, but decided not to go into debt for it... so since Im on a PC, probably going with the Mackie Pro control.

I'm strictly a production studio, so a small footprint is better as far as the desk goes...
Old 13th January 2011
Lives for gear

I would be worried about reflections if you intend setting your speakers on that desk. Would sound like setting them on a cafeteria table.
Old 13th January 2011
Gear Maniac
I built my own desk as well several years ago and its similiar to your design except mine has metal legs.
Can be seen here at www.vinecrestaudio.com.
I added a built in trackball so I could quickly zoom across 3 screens.
Old 15th January 2011
Gear Nut

i was looking for a desk for a ssl nuclues. Maybe when i buy the Nuke ill get one of your desks
Old 19th January 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedishsteel View Post
i was looking for a desk for a ssl nuclues. Maybe when i buy the Nuke ill get one of your desks
Nu-cue-lar. It's pronounce nu-cue-lar...
Old 19th January 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friedemann View Post
Nu-cue-lar. It's pronounce nu-cue-lar...
Is that you Homer?
Old 12th April 2011
roc
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is great , I would just angle the nucleus and racks up some and make the top with the screens more sturdy .Would be nice if you could add afew more rack spaces .
Old 24th August 2011
Here for the gear

Ssl nucleus desk

Hey, I registered on this forum just to ask you if you still have the plans for that Nucleus desk. I'd like to play around with that template a little bit, although I seem to suck on Google sketch up. If you could send it to me, would be much appreciated:

[email protected]

Thank you!

Daniel
Old 1st November 2011
Gear Nut

sketchup

Hi, I'm drawing my plans for new studio buildt in google sketchup. Can you help me how I can import pictures in the project?
I'll post the drawings soon!
Old 1st November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a DIY project well underway. I started out with room treatment (3 months ago), and now that that's done, it's time to get slutty, GEARslutty!!!

I'm planning on getting the SSL Nucleus, and I'm designing a custom console to flush mount it. It will also feature 8 rack spaces and a flat surface for a laptop/cellphone/whatever.

These are the models, done with Google SketchUp (go get it, it's free!). If you want the project in 3D, PM me.

I put in some Rossettas, Neves 1073 and UA1176s just for extra sluttiness!

Excuse my english, I'm not a native speaker.
Looks absolutely awesome!!! Hope the build all goes well for you
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Maniac

Resurrecting (this thread) from the dead!

I hate it that it's been almost two years since I started this thread and nothing's been done! But alas! I've finally saved up enough monies and bought the Nucleus!
and let me tell ya, it is a thing of beauty! (photos attached)

I've been reading your comments regarding the sturdiness (or lack there of) of my design, so I decided to start over and make it beefier. Pics of the new design coming right up!
Attached Thumbnails
Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-photo.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-photo-2-.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-photo-1-.jpg  
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Cardoso View Post
Hey, I registered on this forum just to ask you if you still have the plans for that Nucleus desk. I'd like to play around with that template a little bit, although I seem to suck on Google sketch up. If you could send it to me, would be much appreciated:

[email protected]

Thank you!

Daniel
hey, sorry I missed your post, if you get to read this, and are still interested, I'll be happy to send you all the sketch up files.

Cheers
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Maniac

New Design

OK, so: given the fact that plug-ins like Slate's VCC, VTM, FG-X, Waves' NLS, Nebula, among others, are making ITB suck much less lately; and given the fact that in the near future plug-ins emulations will be virtually indistinguishable from outboard gear (it's just a matter of time, let's face it)...

... I've decided to embrace the 21st century, and to produce, mix and master completely ITB. The recall-ability, the simplicity (no patchbay!), the considerably smaller cash investment, are things that -IMHO- far outweigh the pluses of a hybrid system.

The 2 SSL mic pres, the monitoring section, and the SSL conversion are more than adequate for what I do (namely record vocals, guitars, produce, mix and master), so I decided the Nucleus is going to be my only piece of hardware. If you add VCC 4k, and duende native plug-ins (included with the Nucleus) to the rig, you get sort of a poor man's SSL console. Except it won't be long until it will sound 99% identical to an actual SSL.

In that spirit, here's my new and improved design. I discarded the rack space and made the table way sturdier. It's not as slutty without the outboard, but it's got a considerably smaller footprint, something I can always appreciate (my room is small).

I hope some of you guys that replied to the original design have a chance to see this one and comment.

I look forward to your suggestions
Attached Thumbnails
Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-diy-console-ssl-nucleus1.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-diy-console-ssl-nucleus-2.jpg   Check out my SSL Nucleus Dream-Superslutty Project Studio Custom-made Console!-diy-console-ssl-nucleus-3.jpg  

Last edited by AgustinZubillaga; 21st August 2012 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: Pics missing
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Maniac

Old 22nd August 2012
Lives for gear

It is a bit beefy. Are you going for simplicity of build or do you want an architectural aspect to your desk.

Kind of liked the original lighter desk.

BTW hard woods, hard maple, walnut, black cherry, with proper joinery can withstand seriousness stresses before approaching failure. If you add proper metal reinforcements and proper fasteners you could build something much lighter and much more esthetically appealing than 2x4s and a MDF top. The cost of the build of course will be much higher.
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRCHON View Post
It is a bit beefy. Are you going for simplicity of build or do you want an architectural aspect to your desk.

Kind of liked the original lighter desk.

BTW hard woods, hard maple, walnut, black cherry, with proper joinery can withstand seriousness stresses before approaching failure. If you add proper metal reinforcements and proper fasteners you could build something much lighter and much more esthetically appealing than 2x4s and a MDF top. The cost of the build of course will be much higher.
Thanks for your comment, I'm still working on it. Right now I'm trying to achieve a good compromise between architectural design and something I can actually build myself, not being a carpenter by a mile.
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Addict

quick tip
Attached Images
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ View Post
quick tip
Thanks! I've decided to hire a furniture designer. I'll still be building it myself, but I def need some professional help with the design.
Old 24th September 2012
Lives for gear
I'd suggest moving the leg cross-brace back, or plan on using it as a foot rest. I'd also make the desk wider by 10 to 20cm.
Old 27th September 2012
Gear Addict

Let me know how it turns out.

You can also check out Zaor. They designed some cool looking custom nucleus desks for me and are open for all sorts of options.

Sent me a PM if you want more info.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search