The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New rooms in Portugal
Old 9th October 2010
Quote:
You goal is to have a real professional commercial studio, isn't it?
Since the Day 1!

Ogi, super je da si ovde, pozdrav i tebi!
Old 12th October 2010
Situation, as of today:

The projection room is getting a floor, the stairs are finished:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9759.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9761.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9762.jpg

Rebars in the Dubbing Theatre:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9760.jpg

Control room isolation wall is being finished:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9763.jpg

This is a cross section of the window opening in the recording studio: structural wall, Rockwool, floated wall:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9764.jpg
Old 13th October 2010
Gear Head

Nice! And that tiny air gap is all that it takes?
Old 13th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiagoJSilva View Post
Nice! And that tiny air gap is all that it takes?
Between these two walls, yes. Besides the fact that the inner wall is floated on Sylomer rubber strip.
Old 13th October 2010
Lives for gear

thnx Branko for taking your time ... interesting build and material choiches ... following it closely .. succes !!!

we've been getting our new building last weeks , planning/thinking a lot ..

moving out, new place to set-up
Old 13th October 2010
Thanks, Wim, best wishes for your project, too! I've just seen it, the space looks fantastic, and the project itself (joint efforts of various individuals) is a good one - it's easier when you do things together.

All the best,

Branko
Old 13th October 2010
Today's news:

I was able, for the first time to enter the new projection booth and to take a look through the projection window:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9769.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9770.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9771.jpg

The stairs and the Viroc floor in the projection booth - speaking about the Viroc, I begin to like this material more and more.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9773.jpg

Rebars done, tomorrow's the concrete pouring party!

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9774.jpg
Old 14th October 2010
Today, we poured and leveled the slabs in two rooms.
The concrete company crew showed up at 8, and by the time I arrived, they already poured one slab and were expecting the last mixer truck to arrive to finish the job in the second room:

The pump and the mixer:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9786.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9793.jpg

Half of the Dubbing Theatre done:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9785.jpg

The crew in action:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9787.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9788.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9789.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9790.jpg

Finished room:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9776.jpg

Note the rockwool and PVC sheet serving as framework:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9780.jpg The slab is not connected to the wall. To be more precise, there is a 5cm gap between the wall and the slab.

They call this machine a "Helicopter". The slab is being leveled a few hours after pouring:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9807.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9804.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9799.jpg

Tomorrow, the ceiling beams will arrive, to be installed on Monday - Tuesday.
Old 19th October 2010
The work done in last few days:

1. Projection booth has ceiling beams now, ready to receive the ceiling tiles.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9820.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9821.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9822.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9823.jpg

2. Ceiling beams in the Recording studio:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9828.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9824.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9825.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9827.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9826.jpg
Old 20th October 2010
Gear Head

Is that PU foam around the beams? Is that just for filling the gaps or do the beams need decoupling as well?
Old 21st October 2010
Yes, it is a PU foam, to keep things in place.
Old 21st October 2010
Some more pictures, the phase 1 is finished.
On Friday, we'll destroy some walls to prepare things for Reception and Clients Area construction, and some room re-organization on the first floor.
We have to finish all the "dirty" work before we bring in the acoustic materials, to avoid dust entering the new acoustic construction.
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9843.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9837.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9856.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9849.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9842.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9840.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9838.jpg
Old 21st October 2010
Good luck with everything
Old 24th October 2010
Today we knocked down some walls in the future clients' area. We won't proceed with these works immediately, as we'll use this for storage during the construction of studios' acoustical treatment. Next week, we're expecting two biiiiig trucks which will unload 450 gypsum boards, a few hundred chipboards, twenty-something rolls of cotton-felt waste material, deadsheet and so on..., not to mention wood beams, prepared timber...
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9862.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9861.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9865.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9863.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9864.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9858.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9866.jpg
Old 24th October 2010
I ran through pages of this thread and I realized I've never posted any floor plan of the future studio. Here it is:
New rooms in Portugal-studio-plan.jpg
Old 24th October 2010
Lives for gear

Ahh, much clearer now, thanks!
Old 25th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Today we knocked down some walls in the future clients' area. We won't proceed with these works immediately, as we'll use this for storage during the construction of studios' acoustical treatment. Next week, we're expecting two biiiiig trucks which will unload 450 gypsum boards, a few hundred chipboards, twenty-something rolls of cotton-felt waste material, deadsheet and so on..., not to mention wood beams, prepared timber...
Attachment 199472Attachment 199473
Attachment 199469Attachment 199471
Attachment 199470Attachment 199474
Attachment 199468
wow , nice CLEAN build going on .... do the workers still like you ... heh
nice pace in the build ...
Old 6th November 2010
Okay, there was a small period of no activity, which is now behind us and which was used to fill the place with construction materials for the next stage. Here's a part of the stuff that arrived so far. Gypsum boards (Pladur, as we call them in Portugal) is stored in adjacent warehouse, which was kindly let to us by the owners, without charge.
Anyway, once we begin the next wave of construction, we'll use up all these boars in a week or two.
We begin Monday, with floors base.
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9875.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9874.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9872.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9870.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9871.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9873.jpg
Old 8th November 2010
Today we laid the floor base on top of the concrete slab.
You can see layers of bitumen/rubber sheet and chipboard, placed on top of the concrete slab, glued and nailed to it.
This will take two days per room.
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9876.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9877.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9878.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9880.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9882.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9883.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9885.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9886.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9887.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9888.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9889.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9890.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9891.jpg
Old 9th November 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Today we laid the floor base on top of the concrete slab.
You can see layers of bitumen/rubber sheet and chipboard, placed on top of the concrete slab, glued and nailed to it.
This will take two days per room.
Attachment 202549Attachment 202550Attachment 202548
Attachment 202547Attachment 202546Attachment 202545
Attachment 202544Attachment 202543Attachment 202542
Attachment 202541Attachment 202540Attachment 202539Attachment 202538
i have questions, why do you use bitume/rubber over concrete slab?
Old 12th November 2010
Inner studio walls are built on wooden frames. They carry layers of Gypsum boards and bitumen / rubber deadsheet

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9895.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9897.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9898.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9900.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9909.jpg

These walls are quite heavy - 1 metre of wall weighs about 125 Kg. This part was 6.5m long, thus weighing 125 x 6.5 = 812.5 Kg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9914.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9918.jpg

We've lifted the first wall today. It looked like a very difficult operation until we brought in a chain head, which made things easier.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9917.jpg

Some delicate position trimming, using high precision tools:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9919.jpg

I expect to have all walls in this room built and positioned during the next week.
Old 12th November 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigra12 View Post
i have questions, why do you use bitume/rubber over concrete slab?
The deadsheet makes a better connection between concrete slab and chipboard, correcting little imperfections in both materials.
Old 16th November 2010
Some more walls built:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9933.jpg

This is the slowest part of the construction, because of lots of corners. The opposite side will be a lot easier, just plain walls.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9931.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9932.jpg
Old 17th November 2010
Lives for gear

nice walls ... thumbsup
Old 17th November 2010
Gear Maniac

Da mesmo para perceber a dimensao nessas ultimas fotos com os trabalhadores la. Eh uma optima sensacao ver tudo a tornar-se real a pouco e pouco, neste momento o estudio onde trabalho esta a mudar-se para um "estate" novo enorme (nao tao grande quanto esse) e eh realmente uma sensacao espectacular.
Esse edificio vai entao servir apenas para pos-producao, dubbing e mixing para TV e Cinema apenas?
Se um dia for a Lisboa adorava prestar uma visita quando tivesse pronto hehe

Peco desculpa pela falta de acentos e escrita ah pitalhada, nao consigo fazer acentos em teclados uk -_-

Sorry for the big portuguese post, Congratulations and Good Luck! thumbsupthumbsup
Old 18th November 2010
We finished this week early, because of NATO summit or conference or whatever it is, that is going to happen during this weekend in Lisbon. Those guys closed the whole city, even some bridges will be closed during some hours while their royalties are being transported to the conference hall, which is close to our studio construction site.
So, to recap, we have two side walls and a piece of front wall built and lifted. The frame for the second half of the front wall is almost ready, and the smaller pieces of the left side wall (the ones that go around pillars) are ready to be lifted into position. I expect to have the walls completed by Tuesday next week. By the end of the next week, another experienced worker will join the team, to begin with traps' frames construction.

Not many pictures today:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9934.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9935.jpg

And I thought I might show our selection of nails:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9936.jpg

inlinenl, Sptz, thanks. Sptz, quando vc passa pela Lisboa, uma visita é obrigatória!
Old 25th November 2010
This week's results:

all walls finished, in place and nailed to floor and to each other.
almost half of inner ceiling beams in place, we'll probably finish it tomorrow.

pics:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9940.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9941.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9939.jpg

before placing last beams, we'll lift up all the gypsum boards for the inner ceiling. Could be very tricky once all beams are in position.
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Is there gypsum on the outside of the framing against the exterior block walls? Is this an 'inside out' type room or are you planning a 3 leaf wall?

Also, what are the ceiling joist? They look like 2"x6" beams. I believe that is 150mm boards. What is the span across the room. Also, how come there is a central "Spine" for half the room and not the other half. i.e. Where the joist terminate in the center of the ceiling.

I'm not picking on you. I'm just curious of all these questions. The place looks great and very spacious! Very nice!

Neil
Old 25th November 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, I figured out the "spine" question on my own while looking at the 2nd photo of your last post. Are you placing gypsum on both sets of ceiling joist? Is this because of a vented (unsealed) outer shell of the building/roof?

Neil
Old 26th November 2010
Lives for gear

Ok, I'm now realizing what is going on here. The chipboard looked like gypsum with the 'white' side facing out. Sorry for the dumb questions. Please do carry on... Great build!

Neil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search