The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New rooms in Portugal
Old 18th September 2010
It's been some time since I last updated the thread. Here's just one new picture:
New rooms in Portugal-img00356-20100916-1128.jpg
the walls have reached their full height, and the projection/machine room is already built.
Next week, concrete slabs, floated on Rockwool.
Old 20th September 2010
Hi Branko!

Everyone around here is very curious about your project! So don't forget to upload more often and of course mooooooore pics!!

If you cover it well I'm sure this could be a thread that will inspire and be a source of info for everyone who's pursing to build a studio in the future!

Keep the good work it looks promissing!

Cheers,

Artur
Old 22nd September 2010
Ok, I just returned from a two week trip - here's the news:

this is the future machine room, situated below the projection room.

New rooms in Portugal-foto0161.jpg

And this is the beginning of the front wall for the recording studio's control room:

New rooms in Portugal-foto0163.jpg

You can see the position of the corridor that leads directly to the studio, and the opening for the control room entrance door.
Old 23rd September 2010
Some more pictures from today...

The control room is getting it's shape, and the isolation walls are ready to receive the last row of blocks.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9673.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9670.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9672.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9674.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9671.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9666.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9669.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9664.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9667.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9665.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9668.jpg
Old 24th September 2010
Very nice work!

How manny rooms will it have? I see stairs, there's a 2nd floor?!?

Cheers,

Arthur
Old 24th September 2010
Ground floor: Dubbing Theatre and Recording Studio, Clients area, reception desk
First floor: 3 editing rooms, office

One editing room will be dedicated to picture processing, other two can serve for both picture and sound. All rooms will have the same monitoring system. A bigger monitoring system (same brand) will be installed in the Rec Studio's Control Room.
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

You place rockwool inside the brick walls in order for sound not to resonate on the air cavity
Old 25th September 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Day 7, walls growing...
After each 4 layers of blocks, a Murfor wire reinforcement is added.
Hi, Branko

What is the building regulation in Portugal related with the foundations and the walls?
I am looking to do something similar with our new rooms but i am afraid it is not possible with all these earthquakes in Greece

Thanks, Nikolas
Old 25th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
You place rockwool inside the brick walls in order for sound not to resonate on the air cavity
No, the Rockwool prevents cement from falling down between the walls. We have to assure there's absolutely NO contact between walls, as well as no piling up of cement at the wall base. Walls are floated on Sylomer, and if anything bypasses that floating layer, the effect will be completely lost. The cheapest way to achieve this is to put some Rockwool between those walls.
The distance between walls is 5cm, so it would be impossible to pull out any garbage that fell between the walls.
Resonance in such a small cavity between two super-heavy (2,5 tons per meter) walls isn't something that worries me.
Old 28th September 2010
On top of the walls, a "crown" is made. Horizontal wood beams will fit into these slots, to support the "lid"
New rooms in Portugal-foto0169.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-foto0170.jpg
Old 28th September 2010
Gear Head

Floor

Hello, first i want to thank you for this post, this very intresting for people who wants to isolate her room.

I have some questions about the floor.

How do you made your floating floor?
Do you bluid the floor first?
or the wall first?
Old 28th September 2010
These walls are isolation walls and they are not connected to future studio floor. We built the isolation wall first.
The next step is to build a concrete slab, which will be the base of the studio floor. The slab is floated on a 10cm layer of Rockwool, which will serve as spring. Our slab will be 12 cm thick, with iron mesh reinforcement inside.
Studio walls (inner shell) will be built on this floated concrete slab, thus completely isolated from the rest of the building structure.
Watch this thread, in the next 2 weeks we'll pour the concrete slabs for both rooms.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

I am talking generally about why ones uses rockwool between walls.. .it also acts as a thermal sound insulation product and shifts the resonance frequency to a lower range. (check http://www.isover.lv/file/pd/awg_paper_CH_1.pdf)

I have made and seen dozens of projects in Portugal for building acoustics, not in one you won't find rockwool or other absorbent material between walls.
Old 28th September 2010
Lives for gear

Great thread, that's an amazing build you've got going on.

I've been to Lisboa several times between 1999 and 2007 doing service calls on small cruise ships. I love the sidewalks, the bars and the ladies, a great great city.

It would be wonderful to see your studio on my next visit.

Best of luck to you and keep the photos coming.
Old 29th September 2010
Gear Head

Quote:
These walls are isolation walls and they are not connected to future studio floor. We built the isolation wall first.
The next step is to build a concrete slab, which will be the base of the studio floor. The slab is floated on a 10cm layer of Rockwool, which will serve as spring. Our slab will be 12 cm thick, with iron mesh reinforcement inside.
Studio walls (inner shell) will be built on this floated concrete slab, thus completely isolated from the rest of the building structure.
Watch this thread, in the next 2 weeks we'll pour the concrete slabs for both rooms.
thank i will check your post.
Old 29th September 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
I am talking generally about why ones uses rockwool between walls.. .it also acts as a thermal sound insulation product and shifts the resonance frequency to a lower range. (check http://www.isover.lv/file/pd/awg_paper_CH_1.pdf)

I have made and seen dozens of projects in Portugal for building acoustics, not in one you won't find rockwool or other absorbent material between walls.
Dear Andre,
I'm sure Rockwool has those properties you're talking about, but I repeat: The purpose of this layer between the walls is ONLY to prevent cement from falling down. If there's a cheaper way of controlling that problem, I'll be happy to apply it.
Please, note that in this construction, there's no Rockwool that is exposed to studio users.

Now, as we're talking about Rockwool (or any other mineral wool product) use in sound insulation, I'll draw your attention to the title of the paper you suggested for reading:
The acoustic role of glass wool in a double-leaf lightweight wall

where the word ligtweight immediately dismisses any practical implementation of those conclusions in the case of my construction. While we can admit that, in theory, between these walls there is a resonant cavity, the mass of the air/rockwool combo is completely insignificant compared to the huge mass of the wall itself. Most of the transmission loss of this system happens in the wall itself, as it is difficult to move that mass due to it's rigidity.

In conclusion: while, in theory, I may or not agree with some of your points, I cannot understand what was the meaning of your post. For a moment, I thought you're suggesting something was wrong in the concepts we used....
Old 29th September 2010
Here are some new photos - we started cleaning up the place.
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9683.jpg
...and it looks really nice without scaffolds
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9675.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9676.jpg
Old 30th September 2010
Today, we have some more news.

First of all, the Dubbing theatre walls are done, and the scaffolds are removed, except those by the rear wall, where the wall isn't finished yet.

Second, we began to prepare things for the concrete slab pouring. Two layers of Rockwool are being cross-laid on the structural floor. Each one is 5cm thick, and when the concrete is poured over these, the weight will compress them to 8cm in total.

12cm of concrete on top of this will give us a 20cm floor slab, on top of which we'll build our studio.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9686.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9685.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9688.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9689.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9687.jpg

Third, the projection/machine room building progress is visible:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9684.jpg

These wood beams will support the floor for the projection booth. On the lower level, we'll have a machine room.
Old 1st October 2010
Hi everyone!

The beams are ready to receive the Viroc floor panels.

New rooms in Portugal-proj-booth-floor.jpg

And then we began to build the stairs:

New rooms in Portugal-angle-measurement.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-marking-angle.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-cutting-wide.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-cut-close.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-stairs-place.jpg
Old 3rd October 2010
Lives for gear

Wow ! Pros at work allways stun me ! Love it !
Old 4th October 2010
Lives for gear

Parabéns pelo estúdio!

Are you Branko Neskov?
Old 4th October 2010
Obrigado.
In reply to your question, the answer is: Yes, I am.
Old 4th October 2010
Not much productivity these days - tomorrow is a major public holiday in Portugal and an important anniversary - 100 years of Republic!
Practical meaning of the above is that when you have a holiday on Tuesday, nobody really works on Monday....

Anyway, here's the detail of the floating structure:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9702.jpg

So, we have two layers of 75Kg/m3 Rockwool, 50mm each, we have Rockwool around the perimeter that will serve as formwork for the concrete.
On top of the Rockwool, we put a layer of PVC foil, to prevent concrete from penetrating into Rockwool.
On top of the PVC, we put light wood boards, to allow us to walk on it without smashing the Rockwool, and to protect the PVC when we put a wire mesh on top of it.

And here's some nasty weather in Lisbon on Sunday...

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9703.jpg
Old 5th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Obrigado.
In reply to your question, the answer is: Yes, I am.
I got to know your work in a seminar you gave in ESMAE, it was a really nice chat.

Good luck for your new studio, all the best!
Old 6th October 2010
Gear Head

Bad luck! The weather turned colder and wet just as you needed it hot for the concrete slab! (well, not too hot, either, otherwise the concrete stresses and cracks)

Are the wooden beams enough for the projection booth? Does that mean you'll only have digital projection?

So, if I got it straight, the PVC is protecting the Rockwool, and the particle boards are protecting the PVC from the wire mesh. Is that right?

What's the wire mesh for?
Old 7th October 2010
Those wooden beams can hold a ton at such a short span, but you're right: no 35mm projector will be installed. It's been a while since I had to turn on the projector in our current studio (OBVIOSOM in Lisbon), and I don't see a tendency other that replacing 35mm with DCI systems in commercial theatres.
The wire mesh (or would that be rebar cage?) is used to reinforce the concrete slab and to prevent cracking due to pressure on edges, which will support the inner shell walls.

Anyway, here are some pictures of men at work, cutting and placing Rockwool layers, PVC layers and protective OSB layer, before the concrete reinforcement cage:
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9734.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9735.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9736.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9742.jpg
New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9748.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9746.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9745.jpg

It's only now, with scaffolds removed we can see the real size of the recording studio:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9737.jpg

The progress on the stairs to the projection booth is a bit slower than expected:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9751.jpg

I'll keep you updated, it's becoming interesting now... It's been two months of concrete blocks and bricklaying, now moving on to timber, plasterboard and chipboard.
Old 8th October 2010
We're speeding up these days. The definite day for concrete pouring is Thursday, so everything needs to be cleaned up until then.

Rebars are in their place in the Recording Studio, on Monday and Tuesday we'll place them in the Dubbing Theatre as well.

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9752.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9753.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9754.jpg

The projection booth is almost ready, the windows holes are already built:

New rooms in Portugal-_mg_9755.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9756.jpgNew rooms in Portugal-_mg_9757.jpg

More pics coming next week.
The weather continues terrible. Pouring cats and dogs during the whole afternoon.
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

My goodness, this is some installation! You goal is to have a real professional commercial studio, isn't it?

Would you like to have some hollow chambers dedicated for acoustic reverb, like CBS (I think) had? That would be very special.

Anyway, as all the others have said, keep up the great work!
Old 8th October 2010
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Branko;5848253]Hi everyone!

The beams are ready to receive the Viroc floor panels.

And then we began to build the stairs:

Attachment 195690

Now that's a beam... (I edited the photo attachement so the reply wouldn't contain all the pictures, I hope you don't mind)

No worries about hauling down a big Harrison board or a Studer 24 track. Except your back!
Old 9th October 2010
Here for the gear

Congratulations Branko!!!
I didn't now that you are building the new studio in Lisbon.
Keep the good work, everything looks nice.

Pozdrav

Ognjen Popić

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search