The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New rooms in Portugal
Old 3rd February 2015
Brackets.... Custom Brackets.... For the fixing to the wall of the speaker bar.

Old 7th February 2015
Almost done.

These will support the speaker rail running round the room.

They tale a pipe clamp like this one.
Old 12th February 2015
All the speaker bar suspension points are now finished and tested.

One word of caution.
These items are rigging hardware, they require particular care in manufacture and load testing, as they will be supporting loudspeakers overhead it is important that they are made by a competent person.
It may just look like I'm having a go at making them, but I spent 15 years working on professional show rigging, flying tons of speakers over the public. I also managed a huge inventory of hire stock and was responsible for periodic testing of all the rigging gear. I was trained by professional testers, and took various rigging courses.
If anyone considers making such an item, by all means have a go, but please get it professionally tested before hanging a quarter ton of speakers and rigging over peoples heads.

Anyway... Back to the fun bit.

Here they are, curious little chaps, but it will all become clear when we go to final install

Old 12th February 2015
Also a bonus with the bass horn testing.

It seems that all the gear stacked in the workshop interfered with the earlier test results. - That and maybe that the drivers weren't run in.

Anyway I've done the final QC checks on the bass-horns and things are looking good.

2.8V RMS sensitivity is still at 106.8 db @1m (8 ohm) - Drive unit 700w AES, 1400w program.

150Hz LPF applied as will be in the studio. No EQ

Old 12th February 2015
Dear Mr. Nuisance,

Despite that improvement you documented with this latest plot, and despite the fact that these LF horns look almost flat down to 16 Hz without any EQ, I cannot avoid being disappointed with these "improvements"!

WHY'S THAT BEAUTIFUL YELLOW PAINT GONE? HUH?

You only worry about that acoustic thing, power handling, frequency response flatness etc....

We need to talk!
Old 12th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Dear Mr. Nuisance,

Despite that improvement you documented with this latest plot, and despite the fact that these LF horns look almost flat down to 16 Hz without any EQ, I cannot avoid being disappointed with these "improvements"!

WHY'S THAT BEAUTIFUL YELLOW PAINT GONE? HUH?

You only worry about that acoustic thing, power handling, frequency response flatness etc....

We need to talk!

Wheeeeee! You guys are excellent in so many ways!
Old 13th February 2015
I think I agree with Branko there... on the other hand my company name IS Yellow Cab Studios so I suppose I'm a bit partial to yellow...
Old 13th February 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
I think I agree with Branko there... on the other hand my company name IS Yellow Cab Studios so I suppose I'm a bit partial to yellow...
That's for YELLOW CABINET, isn't it?
Old 14th February 2015
Old 14th February 2015
Old 14th February 2015
Is it because you is wanting more bling?

Old 14th February 2015
They do plenty of colours in that paint....

Except yellow.

Blue Aran - Professional Sound and Lighting > Tuff Cab > Cabinet Coverings > Paint

But if you give Aldcroft Adhesives (the manufacturers of it) a call with a RAL number and order enough of it I'm sure they'll do a drum for us.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?num=....0.-Sv9VBBANZE
Old 16th February 2015
Totally random post...

A fascinating little proof of concept that you simply cant take a sound level measurement of a tone at the mix position and say that figure has any meaning.

This was a JBL cinema system, correctly configured playing a 1K tone from one single channel loudspeaker.

The loudspeaker has 3 drivers, 2 x 15" woofers and a 2" horn. Crossover is at 900Hz. At 1k, through crossover, all three drivers are generating sound.

What you see is the destructive interference at 6m from the three separately located sources.

We have a measurement uncertainty of over 14dB, thus rendering any figure useless. There is no such thing as an average level over the whole area, our ears aren't 3ft big we don't hear that average.

The measurement area was all within 1 cubic metre (or a 3ft cube)

LINK to VIDEO
http://vid1235.photobucket.com/album...psq617cf51.mp4

The sound on the video (linked) is not defective, what you hear dropping out really is the sound in the room, it does that when you listen.

This similarly proves that any analysed measurement is only ever "ballpark" and never an accurate representation of what is heard from a complex source in a complex space.

Random... but interesting.

We will be taking measures in the reconfiguration at Branko's studio to reduce this possible effect.
Old 2nd March 2015
Gear Head

Great work Mr. Nuisance!

It has been amazing to see this studio build here. And now - Atmos!

Good luck to you and Branko but I know you guys don't need it.

Greetings from Mumbai!

Tanuj.
Old 2nd March 2015
Tanuj, thank you for nice words, everybody needs some luck sometimes.
We're moving on to Atmos for two reasons: first, because I believe immersive sound is the future and the second reason has to do with my firm conviction that immersive sound is not reserved for blockbuster action movies only - the clarity and depth this format brings us adds quality to any film genre.
Old 2nd March 2015
And speaking of Atmos, today we started working on it. The studio will be closed for two weeks while we install 28 all new surround boxes and 2 rear LFE cabinets. We'll be expanding our soundweb network and removing some obsolete equipment, like CP650 and X-mon.

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-first-day.jpg

We opened the rear wideband absorber and cut two panels to make space for LFE cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-atmos-first-day.jpg  
Old 3rd March 2015
Sen
Gear Addict

Fantastic project, Branko.
Greetings from Downunder.

Senad
Old 4th March 2015
Quote:
Greetings from Downunder.
Senad
Thanks, Senad.

Now, here's yesterday's report:
Several things were going on at the same time.

first, we made some space for LFE cabinets in the rear trap. We had to cut out parts of our absorber panels.

New rooms in Portugal-rear-trap-cut.jpg

In the meantime, Joules was cutting and preparing speaker cables.

New rooms in Portugal-speaker-cable-marks.jpg

and wing the amp racks

New rooms in Portugal-rack-wiring.jpg

Later, Miguel painted the Unistrut rails which will support the speakers

New rooms in Portugal-unistrut-paint.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-rack-wiring.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-rear-trap-cut.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-speaker-cable-marks.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-unistrut-paint.jpg  
Old 5th March 2015
Yesterday's progress:

We decided to change the ceiling colour to black (it was grey), so Miguel is back on tower, cutting and stapling the new fabrics.

New rooms in Portugal-miguel-scaffolds.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-changing-ceiling.jpg

Joules spent some time behind the screen, making some changes to our main monitors, converting them to 3-way configuration.

New rooms in Portugal-joule-behind-screen.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-joules-riding-amps.jpg

This is our surround connection box

New rooms in Portugal-speaker-connecting-box.jpg

Cabling detail

New rooms in Portugal-speaker-cable-detail.jpg

We removed some obsolete equipment from racks

New rooms in Portugal-empty-racks.jpg

New rooms in Portugal-removed-equipment.jpg

It will be replaced with new stuff, still boxed

New rooms in Portugal-new-boxed-equipment.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-miguel-scaffolds.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-rack-wiring-example.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-speaker-cable-detail.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-speaker-connecting-box.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-changing-ceiling.jpg  

New rooms in Portugal-empty-racks.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-joule-behind-screen.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-joules-riding-amps.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-new-boxed-equipment.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-removed-equipment.jpg  

Old 8th March 2015
More stuff.

A really cool ashtray holder.

Old 8th March 2015
Remote power unit (1 of 8)

Old 8th March 2015
Atmos Amplifiers.

Park Audio II

From Ukraine.

The upper rack houses the amps for the rear surrounds, we are re-using the old surround amps there. One pair bridged for the rear LFE and two more running the rear surrounds. They have served perfectly for the last 4 years (Yes it's 4 years since the studio went on-line) without any issue so we decided to maintain the use of them.

Old 11th March 2015
What's all this then?

Old 11th March 2015
Before that, here's what we did since the beginning of the week:

First, we reorganised the machine room, separating the server rack from the Pro Tools rack:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-reordered-mach-room.jpg

We left only one 8x8x8 interface, everything else is MADI. These are two rigs, one HDX2 and one HD Native Thunderbolt.

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-pts.jpg

This is the server, Small Tree TitaniumZ, and the 10/100/1000 network. The other network patchbay, with Gb/10Gb lines, is in the other rack.

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-server.jpg

Two generations working together:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-2macs.jpg

In the dubbing theatre, we placed the surround LFE cabinets inside the rear wideband absorber

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-lfe-place.jpg

you can see them both here:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-lfes-place.jpg

Then screwed some vertical Unistrut rails to the wood:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-vertical-unistrut.jpg

And tested the rig:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-testing-unistrut.jpg

To be continued...

---------
Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-atmos-ceiling-rails-miguel.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-ceiling-rails.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-sides-place.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-2macs.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-lfe-place.jpg  

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-lfes-place.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-rss-place.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-testing-unistrut.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-vertical-unistrut.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-pts.jpg  

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-reordered-mach-room.jpg   New rooms in Portugal-atmos-server.jpg  
Old 14th March 2015
Sen
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
And tested the rig:

New rooms in Portugal-atmos-testing-unistrut.jpg

To be continued...

---------
LOL!
Old 14th March 2015
That's a 180lb industry standard dynamic test load....
Old 14th March 2015
With 10 suspension points in total our "standard test load" gives us an actual tested rating of 1800 lbs Uniformly Distributed Load capacity across the side walls rig.

with 200lbs of tubing and cable added to the rig it gives us a remaining tested UDL capacity of 1600lbs

With the speakers at a nominal 20lbs weight (they are less than that) we conveniently have 320lbs of load to hang. Given a 5:1 safety factor we land right on the 1600lbs tested UDL figure.

Quite a scientific process.... hanging about like a monkey.
Old 14th March 2015
The ceiling rig.

Unistrut.

Old 14th March 2015
Surround loudspeaker response in the room before Dolby EQ

Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-loudness-surround-eq.jpg  

Last edited by Nuisance; 14th March 2015 at 11:42 PM..
Old 14th March 2015
Right Loudspeaker near-field with screen no EQ - HF horn compensation EQ only applied.

Attached Thumbnails
New rooms in Portugal-loudness-right-response-before-eq-smoothed-third-oct.jpg  

Last edited by Nuisance; 15th March 2015 at 04:48 PM..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search