The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"LEF" and "Studio Scala" are building a new recording facility Control Surfaces
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Speaking of speakers; what’s hiding underneath the fabric (what drivers)?
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

Yes, i have thrown a thick folded blanket on the desk but as expected it only changes stuff further down the line, like at 1,7 ms.

I'll start looking at the tweaters, they have a felt surround that might not be as effective anymore after the moving around when all the drivers were removed from the boxes. Also the frontpanel that you see in the foto has room at the bottom to fill up with dampening material.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

Ah, you replied when I was typing my previous post. Well, they are custom disigned cabinets filled with 2x 15" 1x 12" and a tweeter/horn. Brand...? I can't remember. Powered by 6 Yamaha PD2500 amps. No DSP x-over, just two 4-way analogue units.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEF View Post
Ah, you replied when I was typing my previous post. Well, they are custom disigned cabinets filled with 2x 15" 1x 12" and a tweeter/horn. Brand...? I can't remember. Powered by 6 Yamaha PD2500 amps. No DSP x-over, just two 4-way analogue units.
Ok. If you’re willing to share more info (privately or publically), I´d like to know more.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

Sure, I'll send you some detailed pics by PM.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEF View Post

After the pour and drying of the concrete it was time to remove the mold. As you can see the beam is horseshoe shaped with a column next to the window so it can carry the weight of the front wall and roof with the weight of the side walls and roof as counter balance.

I'm very interested in how you transferred the load to maintain the window opening. I'm working on a very similar CR window and working to figure how I can transfer the load. Would you be willing to share any more details?
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Nut

What do you mean by "transferred"? Sorry, my English is OK, but I don't know what you mean by that in the context of load baring.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

I think he means how you managed to stop the top of the windw frame from transferring the load to the window. Maybe he is interested in how you support the upper part so it keeps the weight off the window frame.

Hope that made sense. I'm not native. =)
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Nut

Well, for starters, build the whole thing without any windows in it. Let the beam dry for weeks before building any wall on top of it.

Like you see in the pictures, next to using rectangular shaped rebar brackets connected by 4x upper and 4x bottom 8mm. rebar enforcement you need to add a lot of diagonal rebar supports to take the torsion of the beam.

When you are going to build the walls on top of it the beam has to be released of it supports. This is beacause when you do it afterwards the slight bending of the beam could squeeze the wall out of shape. Try it with a piece of paper folded into shape, you will see the upper part wants to go to the outside when bended.

So the main point is there can't be any bending of the beam, or at least very little. We have waited a month or so before we put in the glass to watch it if anything changed. I believe I also stated that we have put a small strip of very thin steel up against the middle of the contruction so we could easily monitor the status of it all.

Last detail, the concreet roof is not supported by this beam. It has a IPE beam going accross the two concreet columns. The part of the roof that extends over the window is supported the same way a balcony is when connected to a interior floor slab.
Old 18th February 2013
Gear Nut

Ok, another update:

Booth three is finished, this picture is looking in through the window from the smaller live room.

And this one is looking from booth 3 to the main live room. You can see that you have great visual lines throughout the studio. You can see each other very well no matter where you stand. The picture is taken with my back against the wall and its a little deformed due to the fisheye lens.

The front wall covering the three booths is almost finished.

And a look from the other side.

Old 18th February 2013
Gear Nut

The last few days we have been working on the ceiling and the front of the CR. The CR wall has been painted black and movable panels have been fabricated. These will be filled with Rockwool and covered with perforated Red Cedar wood. The ceiling gets a thick layer of Rockwool and will be covered again with wood. When everything is finished you won't see those because the ceiling will get the same Camira fabric as the CR has. The triangular pyramid you see hanging there is an experiment, you will see what happens with it in a few days.

Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear
We have done a lot of things you will never see like putting in boring electricity lines, a solar air heater, parts of the ventillation system etc. We have also put in slats across the ceiling using a adjusted Newell sequence. It has about 28% open area. Also we finished the lighting in the CR and made the lighting plan for the Live room. I will post some pics tomorrow.

In the meantime we have put up a Facebook page, and if you happen to be there.... "like" us.....
Facebook LEF Studios
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Nut

OK, we've got a lot of the background work done. Most of the multi's are soldered and attached to the Ghielmetti patches, also got the SSL x-patch up and running. Its great to have the possibility of comparing different compressors/chains at the click of a mouse button. Patch recall is also a big +.

We have decided to fabricate our doors ourselves and it is getting along nicely, pictures will follow.

Now, after some experimentation with different electronics we have managed to make the pyramids works as planned. They are all independently controlled so you can make parallel or curved surfaces. The settings are recallable as you can see in the video below. Next is applying the same actuators to the three panels above the CR window.

Click link to view.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/LEF-S...4676973?ref=hl
Old 24th October 2013
Here for the gear

Help me to get my brothers studio up and running.

Hi readers, I need your help. The recording facility in this thread is my brothers' studio. I organized an Indiegogo-crowdfunding, because his 5-year old son got very ill recently. Please check the following link;
GET LEF STUDIOS UP AND RUNNING | Indiegogo to make a donation. (The movie will soon have subtitles.) Sharing on Facebook would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance! (PS: Some of the Perks offered are very interesting for bands and sound engineers.)
Old 17th November 2013
Gear Head

OK, after a long time of absence we are slowly getting back to work. We would like to thank all of our sponsors who helped us through these hard times. Most of the businesses who helped us out donated building materials and we are forever in their debt. Check facebook/lef studios or Indiegogo for more details ( google translate should help you out...;-)

Aroma Uden BV, ABB / Bush Jaeger, Rockwool Nederland, Van Boxtel Elektro, Histor Nederland / PPG Coatings Nederland BV, Quooker / Peteri BV, Autoschade Uden, Van den Heuvel transport, Danda Design & Authoring, Beats R Us Productions, Enorm Snijders Metaal, Cohda Krek, Antargaz, Koeltech Koeltechniek, Seven Eleven, Leon Lamers, T.I. van der Krabben, Luuk Steenbakkers, Marielle de Natris, Joke Der Kinderen, EELT Theatercollectief / Monique Zijp, Jasmijn Dielesen, Esther Gotink, Schoenservice Harco, Van de Laarschot Online Marketing / Marloes van de Laarschot, Patricia Gaetano, Simon Easton, Wouter Verhoof, Clement Keyzer, Werner van der Vlies and all the anonymous donaters, thanks a lot.

That being said, lets see what we have done.

Thanks to Histor for donating the paint and primer now the storage room for the instruments is done. Also the EMT gets placed on the second floor in this room.

The booths also got primed and got their first coat of paint.

In the Accoustic room work was started on the chunks.

I hope I can keep working. Its gonna be a lot slower than before with all the hospital visits and all.
Old 18th November 2013
Wishing you and your son all the best! Your recording studio is going to be amazing.
Old 21st November 2013
Gear Head

Thanks, we are hanging in there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search