The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"LEF" and "Studio Scala" are building a new recording facility Control Surfaces
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Fitting all of the fabriktracks

Added reflecting panels in several places

Tacking on some cloth to prevent the wood from being seen thru the finishing fabric.

Almost all of the sublayer of fabric in place on the back wall

Tucking the camira in the track

Front is done

Slowly tightening the middle section all around

All of the camira on the walls is done and fitted with dark hardwood trim to keep the drummers from walking into the rockwool. The lights still need to be closed at the back to prevent the light from shining thru the fabric.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

I experimented, as you could see in previous pictures, with the shape of the table top on the left side of the Icon. When the final shape was determined it was time to make sidedesk racks to go with it.

At the right of the desk I've made two drawers with invisible handles.... I think it looks slick.

The tabletop is spraypainted black with some sort of structure feel in the middle just like the Icon's panels. This and the racks underneath will be painted in the same grey color as the producersdesk panels are. The side that is closest is cut in exactly the same shape as the left side of the Icon. It should fit perfectly.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

I can't seem to find pictures of the finished side desk, hmmmmmm.... I will make a few pics tomorrow. Then I will also upload the construction of one of our booths.
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear
Great to see it all worked out with the pics. Glad I could help.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Nut

The start has been made with the first booth. It will be a double wall construction, the booth will have its own ceiling and is positioned on its own separate slab.

Lets start with putting up the window- and doorframes.

As you can see the walls are slanted towards the live room.

2 weeks later,... done.

Time to start with the second one. You can see the separated slab below.

Now that we know what we are doing things are moving fast.

Framing done

Here you can see that I let the front wall lean against two metal brackets on the ceiling. They will be removed when the booth ceiling is in so it is totally free standing from the rest of the building.

And done, lets build the third one.

Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Nut

Have you seen your product? It sounds great. I have made hundreds of measurements, experimented with positioning of everything, and think it sounds awesome right now. I will see if I can find some graphs to post.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Yes, happy to hear they do the job and again; nice build!

What would be really interesting to see, is if you happen to have some measurements with and without the fabric covering the diffusers. As you probably know, covering diffusers with fabric will cause some absorption even if the fabric is very transparent to sound in general, especially if close to a finned phase grating diffuser, due to the high particle velocity close to the well entrance. This might not be a big problem with stepped designs (like the Optiffuser) since the most part of the fabric is relatively far away from the diffuser wells but some comparable measurements would be fun if you have any.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear
Yes, I have measurements from before and after the fabric was placed. If I remember correctly there was a minor difference in reverb time of the higher freqs but no difference in freq response. I will see if I can dig them up out of the 100's of REW files.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear
And by the way, the closest the diffuser is to the fabric is probably about 10 cm.
Old 1st January 2013
Lives for gear

Considering the relative area treated with diffusers is not that big, the difference will be very small, even if the difference for that specific area is substantial. But again, considering it´s a stepped diffuser, and especially if the distance betveen the fabric and the surface is 10cm; I don’t think it´s a big problem.
Old 1st January 2013
Gear Nut

FYI it is about 8 m2 of your diffuser and 25 m2 of slats and various other reflective items.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Looking forward to seeing more pics.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Nut

For now here is a older measurement. I will have to make a new one since the sidedesk was placed and some other tweaks have been done.

As you can see the RT is pretty short.

Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

If that’s what I think it is (2dB/division unsmoothed? Hard to see the scale) you´re doing very well!

Yes; RT (or "decay time" in SAS) should be fairly short since you have a lot of slotted panel with high perforation percentage (above about 20-30 % open area, the panel will behave more or less like a broadband absorber). I understand if you don’t want to post the IR file on a public forum but if you don´t mind, it would be interesting to see the ETC.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Nut

Yes, it looks nice, no it is not unsmoothed, its 1/24th smoothing. Every grid line is 2dB
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEF View Post
Yes, it looks nice, no it is not unsmoothed, its 1/24th smoothing.
Well, 1/24 is still high resolution so well done!
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Nut

I don't have the ETC at hand right now these are just some JPG I had in my mail box. I have a waterfall for you. The 37 Hz is not there as it changes with every measurement. I think it is the noise from the unfinished ventillation system.

Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't have the ETC at hand right now these are just some JPG I had in my mail box. I have a waterfall for you. The 37 Hz is not there as it changes with every measurement. I think it is the noise from the unfinished ventillation system.
Even if that is the final result, I wouldn’t worry about that 37 Hz at all. Decay times less than about 400-500 ms in the lowest octave or so is totally acceptable and judging by that plot, you´re doing better than that even for 37 Hz. If it is the fans causing that, it would look more like a ring with fixed amplitude (no decay). It looks more like a resonance caused by coupling with an adjacent space. Perhaps a door was left open.
Old 2nd January 2013
Gear Nut

I have my doors closed with every measurement but they don't have thresholds yet and I believe the seals weren't in place at the time. I will make new measurements and mail you the impulse.
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have my doors closed with every measurement but they don't have thresholds yet and I believe the seals weren't in place at the time. I will make new measurements and mail you the impulse.
That makes sense. Looking forward to more updates. Keep up the good work!
Old 3rd January 2013
Gear Nut

First a few more building details. Here you have a view of the space in between booth two and three. I still have to untangle all the cables and tie them neatly to each booth. Maybe I'm overthinking things but I think it could be a flanking path.

Here you see another 19" box, I have 10 of them around the studio. Each of them have at least 16 audio lines, 4 CAT5/ethercon lines for the Aviom system and 2x powercon. Also all the neighbouring boxes are connected to each other with at least 8 channels of audio, 2 CAT5 lines and speaker cable. You'll never know when you need it. Not all the cabling will be connected, but it is much easier to put the cabling in now than later when I have to wriggle my arms through a very small hatch to reach the floorboxes.

You can also see that the boxes are covered with two layers of plasterboard which are chaulked to the first layer of wallboard. The second layer will overlap and will be chaulked to the wood and probably sealed with a acrylic sealant.

The machinecloset is filling up. I have the good old MIX system also wired up because I had some problems with old files that wouldn't load on the HDX system. The ADAT's are there for... well I don't know why....ha.
On the top left you see a mockup of my powerpanel that I'm soldering as we speak. There will be a series of power switches on the left to make sure all the Protools/Icon/computer gear is powered up in the right order, or left off when not needed. On the right of that you see a small map of the studio where you can switch on or off all of the powercon connectors.

I love my Ghielmetti patch and I just picked up another one from ebay so maybe I'm gonna put all the studio lines up there as well. This way you can have 24 lines normalled to the pre's and change them around when needed.

This one I could have thought thru a bit more because having the smaller ducts, which are used for CAT5 and such, coming out of the concrete below the bigger ducts, that are for all the multicables, is not very handy to say the least. Nonetheless I have put shielding around all of the smaller ducts when they come near a bigger duct, better safe than sorry.

And look at my girlfriend acting like a pro.... with her silly hipster hat to keep chaulk and rockwool out of her hair.

Well, she's not afraid to handle powertools, don't know too many girls that would do this for their man.

Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

OK, here is the ETC.

All of a sudden I have something at about 1 ms. What could that be? I have nothing near a 30 cm. path difference, even the desk is about 60 cm. away.

And booth 3 almost done.

Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, here is the ETC.

All of a sudden I have something at about 1 ms. What could that be? I have nothing near a 30 cm. path difference, even the desk is about 60 cm. away.
If not the desk, my first guess would be diffraction from the edge of the mains. Perhaps you changed something in the crossover network of the speaker, perhaps accidentally resetting the driver signal alignment (but the delay is a bit too long for that I guess)?
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

I've tested it with the tweeter only as well and the result is the same so it can't be aligntment, right?
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

If only one speaker playing (not two; a common mistake to make, I do it frequently ), and only one driver (unless coaxial) playing: No.

EDIT: But apart from that 1 ms spike (whatever it is), and what I assume is the floor bounce; the ETC looks good. Smooth diffused but subtle “return”. Not very far from an ambechoic response I guess?
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

Yes, one speaker...

Never been in a properly designed ambechoic control room but reading the descriptions here and on the rest of the internet I would say yes.
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Well; if not the desk or other nearby object, or some weird setting in the x-over DSP (assuming that´s what you use); it´s bound to be diffraction from the speaker itself. Try and temporarily add some wool panels to the edge of the speaker (I guess the lower edge is the prime suspect) and see what happens.
Old 7th January 2013
Gear Nut

You mean on the front? The rest is already packed, so.....
Old 7th January 2013
Lives for gear

Here:

"LEF" and "Studio Scala" are building a new recording facility-edge-diffraction.jpg

EDIT:

http://cdn.avsforum.com/d/d7/d73ae7d...ach241828.jpeg

Not saying that this is a good solution if that really is the problem, but just to figure out what causing it. A -17 dB early reflection is not the end of the world. Most studios have far greater problems than that. I also would not rule out the desk just yet. Have you tried to place a wool panel on it?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search