The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
"LEF" and "Studio Scala" are building a new recording facility Control Surfaces
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

We can go on here:
LEF building discussion

@moderators: Can somebody move the discussion replies to the other thread?
Old 29th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEF View Post
We can go on here:
LEF building discussion

@moderators: Can somebody move the discussion replies to the other thread?
It's fine like that, no?
Old 29th March 2010
Gear Nut

The qoutes within the qoutes are missing.
Old 29th March 2010
Lives for gear
Quote:
My father in law is a "uitvoerder" (don't know the english word for this, but it is the guy who bosses everybody around telling them what to do on big building sites)
You could be thinking of "foreman" or "builder". In some situations, a foreman only supervises part of the crew, possibly as a subcontractor. In the States, the builder typically supervises all of the subcontractors and if there are foreman for each sub, the foremen report to the builder. These apply to small to moderate projects.

Thanks for putting up this thread. It will be interesting to see how much of a problem the jets are once you're fully up and running.
Old 30th March 2010
Gear Nut

He is probably a builder then.....
Old 3rd April 2010
Gear Nut

OK here we go

Rockwool ( 12 cm./ 4,8") and felt for the CR. This is the back wall, in front of this will be a structure from which we can hang the "tuneable" wide-band absorbers. They will hang from two metal rods so we can slide the absorbers backwards and forwards.

More rockwool and felt on the front wall of the CR, also the first pieces of the ceiling are going in. The metal brackets you see are for the PA system.

A nice view of the massive CR window (5,58 m. / 18.3')

CR ceiling almost rockwooled-up.

The recording area ceiling is getting done

Acoustic room

Big ceiling almost done with 2 layers of half inch plasterboard.
Old 19th April 2010
pmx
Gear Addict

great build! care if i drop by someday during/after the construction?
Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear
Tuurlijk, je kan altijd langskomen, wel even bellen van te voren, ik mail wel m'n nummer.

OK I'm back, I was busy having a baby, so......... a lot has been done I will put up the pictures tonight or tomorrow.
Old 10th June 2010
Gear Head

Awesome design! Can't wait to see some updates
Old 10th June 2010
Gear Nut

Oh, I see my last post was made with the wrong account, oh well........

OK, here we go.

Lets build the second CR, or actually the preprodution/edit room.

First we make a steady and levelled concrete beam to put the blocks on.

On the left of this room there will be 2 19" racks to house PT, Pre's, computers etc etc. Allmost all the wiring will go to here first and then will be distributed to where I need it.

First layer of blocks, these are not as heavy as the rest of the studio, 'only' 6" thick.

And done...

Old 10th June 2010
Gear Nut

If we make a 180 degree turn from the position of the last picture you will see the entrance to the hallway which goes to the main entrance, bar, office etc.

Here we build a second restroom and on the left of it there will be a double door to the overhead door for unloading all sorts of musicianscrap. The walls for all of this are regular 3,5" blocks.

Picture from above

The walls are going up fast

Now its getting a bit dangerous the walls are standing almost 15 feet high without supports at the front, so don't bump into it with a block.

The back is pretty solid.

The next day I immediately made the support beam above the double door to connect the "free standing" wall to the rest of the building.

A few days later we could put up the rest of the blocks

Old 10th June 2010
Gear Nut

The walls are almost done and its time to make a level in the hallway. The stairs are temporary, when the build is finished I want a "fancy" one that has treads that are only connected on the right side.

A shot from the first floor looking at the edit room, as you can see youre still hitting your fr#$$!!ging head on the rails of the overhead door. My head hurts.......It will be raised and then we can finish the walls.

Steel, steel steel..... I need to make a heavy construction for the first floor slab above the edit room. It will be rented out to musicians so I don't want to connect it to my main CR.

This means that the concrete slab above the hallway is only connected on one side, the rest will be floating in mid air.

Hoisting up concrete beams

Look at this "buildlikeatankprehistorianidontwanttoboldthistomynewfoundation" hoist.

Old 10th June 2010
Gear Nut

Putting in the concrete blocks

Main control room on the left, edit room on the right. The bending on the IPE and UNP beams is minimal I checked and had my calulations checked five times but still....lets see how it will hold with the concrete in place.

The concrete is going to be mixed by hand its not to much and I don't want to waste money on delivery and a pump, so......

A lot of rebar to keep the slab from "bending".

Hoovering concrete slab, DONE.....

Old 10th June 2010
Lives for gear

Heavy duty stuff, mixing your own concrete...
Old 10th June 2010
Gear Nut

Welll......eeehhhmmmm, ...not actually me...... somebody did it for me as he was scared I might break.

It was about 1 ,75 m3 (462,30 gallons) and it was done in about four hours.
Old 13th June 2010
Lives for gear

So I asked LEF if I could swing by and have a look at his build, to which he graciously agreed. We drove down there this afternoon and spent about two hours on the site.
It really is a thought-through design and the control room already sounds good, even without windows, furniture or any treatment!

It was an informative and inspiring afternoon that left me with plenty of new ideas! Thanks LEF for your time and advice
Old 6th April 2012
Gear Head

So, silly question...

Any updates on this build? It seemed that things were going gang-busters, and then complete radio silence.
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan Walker View Post
.....things were going gang-busters,......
Had to look up that one.... haha

We going strong, haven't had a chance to upload the hundreds of pictures yet. The CR is operational and final tweaking is being done. Live rooms are pretty far from being ready to use since we concentrated on the rest of the building. There are a few rooms that are gonna be rented out, so.....

The enourmous delays are caused by the fact that I'm a bit dissapointed in the qualities of a lot of builders. They just don't get it. So having to oversee the intire build every single minute and running recordingprojects at the same time put a big dent in the building tempo. But all is good we are keeping financing to a minimum and that is my primary goal.

I'm recording in other studio's and finishing them in my own CR. It's very nice to have my own PA back up and running. It was a real Aha... moment when we fired them up ".....that's how a CR should sound....."

Greetings and I will see if I have a spare moment to put up the rest of the shots.
Old 10th April 2012
Gear Head

would be very nice to see some pics of your control room...
good builders are difficult to find, the good ones are always busy
Old 11th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Had to look up that one.... haha

Greetings and I will see if I have a spare moment to put up the rest of the shots.
Great news and glad to hear things are going well. Looking forward to seeing the pics, but understand how things can get busy in a hurry.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

OK, here we go again after a very long period of no pictures whatsoever.

Lets start with the production of a very odd device...

Slowly stacking aluminium plates, they are about 200x50cm.

Spacing them with plastic bushes and a big bead of sealant according to a alternating patern. Anyone already knows what this will be?

DONE, ..... time to hoist it up and making the case for it.

Case done,..... put the unit back in and close it up.

Done, .... the first out of three heatexchangers finished. This should lower the gas bill significantly.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Time to put the glass in the CR windowframe.

I've put the foam strips in first so you have a nice spacing to put in the silicone seal. If you look at the top right of the picture you can see that I've also made some measurements with a Hughes&Ketner speaker to see what changes when the window is finished.

Man those windows are heavy, we needed six people to put them in place. All went well and they fitted like a glove.

I was worried because the windows have odd shapes and I didn't know for shure if the frame had deformed during placement. The side windows are diamond shaped and all of them have facet-cut sides to make the seams as small as possible.

There were some changes in the lower frequencies but nothing we can't fix.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

In the meantime we've made the ramp in the hallway. This is to make the height difference (25 cm.) not an obstacle when moving instruments and road cases around. First up: Cutting the old concrete so we can make the ramp start at 0cm. next.....Rebar.....

Then pooring in the concrete and finishing it.

Also in the same week we've put in the ceiling.

Also the upper hallway got framed and a ceiling was put in place. The right side is lowered so the overhead door can still open completely.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Now for the good stuff.... We started with the framing of the CR. And taking hundreds of measurements at the same time to make changes as we go. The soffits got filled with the mains and lots of rockwool.

As you can see, I use a lot of different things to change the acoustics. Several different hangers made out of ply, some out of EPDM and glasswool, and some out of rockwool.

Trying out some of the light positions

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Lets make the front of the CR look a bit better. I used a sort of broken hardstone, it looks really great and has some sort of mika flakes in it.

The middle section get a dark grey shade the section above the window will get fabric in the same color as the stones are.

Next I put some "egaline" on the floor to prepare it for the temporarely flooring. I need to move fast because next week the Icon is coming. When the studio is finished I will rip out this floor and put in a decent hardwood floor. For now laminate is good enough.

Laminate is in, from a distance it looks OK...ish......

Meike inspecting her new dancefloor.

Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Wohooo,....... a lot of boxes arive.

Nice that the guys dilivering and installing the stuff can read.....well if they break it they buy it.

The frame, its about three meters wide.

Start filling her up.

More units

Put the producers desk in place

Side caps mounted and start testing and tweaking.

Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear
LEF: thanks for continuing the loading of photos and description of the build.

Your studio is staggeringly awesome!
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

I'm trying to upload more photo's.... but is 100 photos the limit in your userprofile...???
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

OK, a collegue has uploaded foto's for me in his account. I've added some foto's in the posts above as well to keep it nice and neatly.
Old 6th December 2012
Gear Nut

Its time to make the hallway a bit more rock and roll as well.

From right to left in the picture: First make some wood panels, stick some foam on it, cover it with leather and finally put inox bolts thru it.

I've made a big Inox "sidebar" to keep musicians from running into the wall with their road cases and ripping it apart.

And at the end of the hall there is the machine closet

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search