The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Jules' studio build project
Old 21st June 2003
View down to front door
Attached Thumbnails
Jules' studio build project-exit-tunnel.jpg  
Old 26th July 2003
First session!

The kit, by the glass bricked up window!
Attached Thumbnails
Jules' studio build project-small-kit.jpg  
Old 26th July 2003
The view on the LH Flatscreen monitor, one moment it is showing the mix page of PT (edit window on the RH monitor) at the push of a button - hey presto! It shows the SVideo signal from the camera upstairs! We can keep that on while tracking - All we need to see is the edit window as we use Pro Control to do headphone levels & CR monitor balance etc..

Out of shot is 2 x Neumann M149's in each far corner....

Note the cool blue tint light gets when traveling through the glass bricks...

This shows the band relaxing & listening back to playback of their performance, (via Genelec 1031A's)

The amp heads were in the room but the 4 x 12's were screaming away downstairs in the old general purpose booth...

Behind the LH guy siting down is the full length window & door to the vocal booth / storage area (unused on this session)

It was especially satisfying to have a spec deal turned good as my first session in there!

Attached Thumbnails
Jules' studio build project-playback.jpg  
Old 27th July 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Jules,

Thats one way to keep the band out of the control room.
Old 27th July 2003
That's a hell of a good idea!!!!
Old 27th July 2003
Lives for gear

by when will it be done Jules .... cool new avatar btw ...
Old 27th July 2003
Well we tracked a band sucsessfully in there last weekend.

This weekend it's had my housepainter chum in with me to fill in all the patches ready for some paint. I need to get a plasterer in to cover some of the plasterboard.

Its operational right now - what remains is:

1) cosmetics, pool table, ping pong, couch, chairs, refidgerater, microwave

2) a tweak to accoustics....

a) The main room is %1000 percent usable for drum tracking but can be improved a tiny bit.
b) Has a little way to go accousticaly as a programing suite
c) the small vocal booth is presently a bare walled nightmare

(but I have a perfectly good vocal booth on the floor below!)

Old 28th July 2003
Schnert

Jules...man, you are so blue.....I guess after having some fresh vegetables you'll look more like this?:

Old 28th July 2003
Thanks!

I might use that!

Cheers!
Old 28th July 2003
Lives for gear

the space is looking cool... very rock 'n' roll!
Old 28th July 2003
Lives for gear

Jules,
I've been following this thread with interest as I am in the middle of building my own space (much more slowly than planned). Thanks for the pics!

And as for the new avatar... LOVING IT!! You might want to check the records on this but I am pretty sure your's is the first to show the mothership on approach just before the and subsequent... you know... "harvesting" heh
Old 28th July 2003
Gear Guru

Jules,
Is the band tracking to the Genelecs, or are they using phones? I can't quite tell in the picture. It could be cool to do some headphone-less tracking, if the drummer's not too loud. Also, so you plan to keep the Gelelecs there and use the room for reverb when mixing?
Old 28th July 2003
We use Beyer DTG 250 headphones for tracking...

Genelec's are for playback while tracking, at the flick ofa switch the mix we monitor below gets sent to them. we have to remember to switch them off during tracking.

They double up as follows

1) Monitoring of MBox editing station (I mix below, assistant edits above)
2) Use as band chill out Hi Fi
3) Can be used in the control room with a sub & 3 other speakers in a surround set up (this happens)
4) Reverb chamber, YES, today infact I am going to blast snare & toms out via the Genelecs, (moved to the drum position facing up but angled left & right) and record the 'ambience' back to PT. I will post photo's..

Thanks for your interest.
Old 21st August 2003
I bought 4 rolling accoustic screens to go around the kit to get a more "phat" sound by cutting down on the mid trash from the untreated room getting back in on the close mic's.

They belonged to the late & great John Entwistle of The Who, so provide us with a great vibe...!

I am going to make it my lifes work to get the drum sound in there nothing short of amazing! (its damn good already)

I feel like stacking up about 5 or 6 RPG corner bass traps behind the drummer, (or building one) and have a plan to make some home made tubular wall traps inspired by ASC Tube Traps catalogs!
Old 23rd August 2003
urumita

the ones with the elastics inside? Never took one apart but it seems to be made out of heavy duty chicken wire and fiberglass but someone told me there were actually elastic bands inside tuned to vibrate at lo freeks and they do have an absorptive side and a reflective side and I remember they made half rounds also. If it's going to be permanent, fixed, non moving, why not put up some policyndrical absober panels (even on the ceiling, where they won't take up alot of room) and some slot resonators. Go to the John Sayers SAE site, all the plans are there. Fletcher had an interesting address in his links that has strangely disappeared that I used about 3 years ago with astonishing results. I forget the name of the engineer but he had a really unique view of recording. maybe you can ask Fletcher where it went or if he has a copy of it.
Old 10th December 2015
Lives for gear

that's cool

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search