The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My studios construction has started!!!!!
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Addict

My studios construction:

Dear Slutz,

After a couple months of planning I have finally started to build my studio, For those who are interested I am going to be posting updates covering the weekly progress.

The studio is being built in an existing building, which is roughly 500 square meters. The studio is being built on the second floor of a two story buiding with a basement. The facility will include a recording studio, 2 rehearsal spaces, a kitchen, a game room, a reception and an office, a meeting room and private parking behind the studio for about 9 cars.
Here are the CG images for the studio, and I will post floor plans for the rest when I recieve them. If you see a problem or have some advice, please tell me as this is a first.
Hope you enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage.jpg  

Last edited by Duffster; 23rd October 2005 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: update
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Addict

One more
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-05.jpg  
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Addict

Pre destruction
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage.jpg  
Old 8th October 2005
Very cool man, looking forward to it!!!

thumbsup

I love threads like this....
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Addict

post destruction (by the way, how do I make my images smaller)
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage-1.jpg  
Old 8th October 2005
Gear Guru

I love these threads watching rooms develop.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

FELICIDADEZ DUFFSTER!!
Old 8th October 2005
Lives for gear

I love this picture. What a great movie location! I love a building with a nice patina on the exterior but with a slick, clean interior.

Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-uih.jpg  
Old 22nd October 2005
Gear Addict

After spending two weeks without a roof at the start of the rain season in Brasil the materials are finally arriving. The construction team has put up the support framing for the beams to be put in place, and with luck the roof will be done in about a week and a half.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage-2.jpg  
Old 23rd October 2005
Lives for Jesus

WOW... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am just starting to build the soundproof walls on my studio and i thought i had a lot of work ahead of me.

keep the pics. comeing,

steve
Old 24th October 2005
Gear Addict

Been raining all week and until it stops, the roof won´t go up. Rained so hard that there was a mini waterfall going down the stairs.
Will post the studio layout as soon as I convert the files from CAD
Old 24th October 2005
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
After spending two weeks without a roof at the start of the rain season in Brasil the materials are finally arriving.

LOL! it's amazing how much we in the u.s. take for granted things like home depot and the relatively instantaneous delivery of most materials for building.

those are very cool rooms, please do keep the updates coming. i'm not sure i like the roto toms on the kit, but that's a personal thing .

gregoire
del ubik
Old 28th October 2005
Gear Addict

Well, the rain finally stopped and the roof preperations were complete and the materials for pouring the concrete were instaled. On saturday a huge truck will come and start the pouring. After 20 days I will be able to start STUDIO CONSTRUCTION!! The roof being poured will be marked by a big Brasilian BBQ and lots of beer, and I have to miss it to go do live sound in some country town in the middle of nowhere.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage-3.jpg  
Old 29th October 2005
Gear Addict

I need gear slut energy to stop the summer rains. It won´t stop raining and I spent a a bit of money for the concrete pour this weekend and the rain just keeps coming down. Pray for me or whatever.... anything to stop the water from above.
Old 4th November 2005
Gear Addict

Well the rain stopped for 3 hours on saturday, which was enough to pour the concrete which means I finally have a roof. The walls of the studio are going up and should be all the way to the ceiling by next week. The electrical has started and all the plumbing..... which was interesting to start as my portuguese vocabulary doesn´t include plumbing or electrical terms(thank god for my architect and acoustic designers). If I haven´t mentioned I have only spoken portuguese for about a year so this project is interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage-5.jpg  
Old 4th November 2005
Looks great man. I wish you all the best.

It seems that it doesn't only rain here in Switzerland.
Old 4th November 2005
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster
Well the rain stopped for 3 hours on saturday, which was enough to pour the concrete which means I finally have a roof. The walls of the studio are going up and should be all the way to the ceiling by next week. The electrical has started and all the plumbing..... which was interesting to start as my portuguese vocabulary doesn´t include plumbing or electrical terms(thank god for my architect and acoustic designers). If I haven´t mentioned I have only spoken portuguese for about a year so this project is interesting.

Good God! Makes my basement conversion seem like a weekend project. Good luck!
Old 10th November 2005
Gear Addict

No new pictures just really [email protected]#$y news. My neighbor two doors down is an annoying old lady who can´t seem to keep her body away from my construction site decided to call the local government building inspector to help me out...... just to see if everything is okay. Long and the short of it is ....... fines... and lots of them. What a stupid F%$%ing B#$%H!!!!!! Why can´t people stay out of other peoples business. This lady litterally lives two buildings (about 20 meters) down and talks to me weekly about how when she hears the noise she is going to complain....... this is while semi trucks drive by the front of her house. All I can say is F$%K!!!!!!!
Old 10th November 2005
More cowbell!

Ouch! that sounds like a worry :-(

Maybe consider start buying her gifts now, bribe her, whatever. Get her under your control :-)

Worse comes to worse, start calling authorities on her for various random small complaints, haha. DOes she have a little yapping dog? Call and complain about the noise!, LOL.

Seriously though, good luck man, sorry this happened, maybe the building inspection will make things safer in the end--though it kinda sound corrupt.
Old 10th November 2005
Gear Maniac

Yo, your spot looks tight... Can't wait to see it when it's all done... 1
Old 10th November 2005
Gear Addict

Duffster,
I took one look at your pictures and saw something of major concern.
You need to investigate, and possibly treat that framing for toxic mold. It appears to be festering with it, and that stuff is impossible to get rid of once your seal up the walls.

Best
Old 16th November 2005
Gear Addict

Angry

Well, after an extremely stressfull week and a half things are looking like they may be okay. The lame neighbor complained three times to the fiscal(Government building inspector) claiming that I was building 1.) A whoore house 2.) A club 3.) A concert venue. After giving the man an a little "help", which is normall here in Brasil.... he then informed us that the commercial sector in which by building is located may not allow for recording studios.... which means more BS to have to deal with. My construction was stopped for a few days, and now I may work on the building but can make no noise and must keep all entrances from the street closed and locked. If the lady decides to complain again she may shut down the construction until the government approves the building plans which could take over a year with the way things work here. If the government decides that the studio doesn´t fit within the commercial code they will shut down the build for good and my invesment is toast.
Up until all of this happened another government official told us that my studio fit into the commercial codes here I and I would have no problems.
[email protected]##$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%@#$%K!!!!!

Old 16th November 2005
Lives for gear

That SUCKS dude !

Is there any way of dealing with that lady directly so you can prove to her your legit ?

That would be a serious drag if they shut you down.
Old 16th November 2005
Gear Addict

Unfortunately her calls started a really lame cycle of events, each of which requires money. The government is corrupt here so you can pay your way out of everything..... I am just not sure how much I can afford. This already cost me a few nice compressors if you catch my drift.
Old 16th November 2005
Gear Nut

At this point it sounds like it might be better to cut your losses and maybe build the studio elsewhere. If this lady is this much trouble now, im sure it will only continue as long as she lives near you're studio.
Old 16th November 2005
More cowbell!

Doh! This sounds terrible. I am not sure how much you have in the place already, but I would start to think about trying to find some way to sell out and bail to a different location (or country!). This is starting to sound like "throwing good money after bad."
Old 16th November 2005
Gear Addict

The lady is yesterdays news, the government is the problem....... $$$$
Old 16th November 2005
Here for the gear

...what about a lawyer?..."help" appears to be the wrong way to go, IMO...BTW I'm a german living in Brazil...
Old 17th November 2005
Lives for gear

You really have a struggle...
Your plans look great and I am sure you will win a victory...perhaps you must really try a different mental approach.
These problems and obstacles are tailor made to show how you can grow and win in a very tough country..your difficulties will make your victory even more stunning.
I think you will need to try and embrace each person who stands in your way and win them over with your heart and courage.
You will need to hold on to your dream and never give up..!!
Scruffy
Old 16th December 2005
Gear Addict

Well, I haven´t posted any updates in a while due to the lack of interesting photos. The project is going well now. All my problems with government and etc seem to be solved and now I am trying to coordinate all the electricians, plumbers, floor, concrete... and everything else which is a nightmare because of the relaxed and always late manner in which Brasilians work. This coming month I will put in the air conditioning system, treated concrete floors, floating floors, plumbing, electrical, windows, doors, and all the other little details. The projects completion has been pushed back to the the end of Febuary, but the good news is that the first client enters in April, and I am alredy booked solid for 3 months. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search