The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My studios construction has started!!!!!
Old 5th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
This is the best explanation I have found in English:
Thanks!

I imagine they would work something like that. I made four panels like that about 5 years ago because they looked nice. It took me forever to drill all the holes with a gigantic drill. Then I gave them away when I had to leave my old studio... I could have used them now.

Anyway, your studio i going to be nice! thumbsup
Old 5th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojo View Post
Thanks!

I imagine they would work something like that. I made four panels like that about 5 years ago because they looked nice. It took me forever to drill all the holes with a gigantic drill. Then I gave them away when I had to leave my old studio... I could have used them now.

Anyway, your studio i going to be nice! thumbsup

Gee I wonder what doofus threw them out after he had to leave the same studio

Oh well....
Old 6th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmonauta View Post
Ok, sounds like the BULLL****E will began.

Crime is a potential problem that can happend in ANY big city of the world.
So, what's the big deal??
São Paulo is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) city in the world.

And do you know what's funny???
I'm a 30 years old guy, that was born and always live in São Paulo.
I live in a noble residencial area, so my financial status can be judges as rich.

I was robbed just ONCE in my life.... IN NEW YORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
After left Sam Ash with a brand new Eventide in my hands that I never had a chance to see out of the box.
I can watch those americans 911 TV shows via my cable tv, and this kind of things happends everywhere....
From little crimes to L.A riots or ppl sending airplanes to buildings, etc

Will this make me ****ee my paints if I need to com back to NY?
Hell NO tutt Nor NY, nor any other city in the whole world. You get the picture. I hope.

Please, you guys are more inteligent than that. So stop this BS.
Be low profile about your financial status is a good thing even if you live in Switzerland. Duffster is right to don't reveal his numbers.
Cosmo,
I certainly wouldn't take pride in dissing a place that has some of the sexiest hotties on earth - and also would not want to play into stereotypes ala "Cidade dos Homens" etc.

However, a dose of reality is needed - Brasil is usually estimated to be in the top 3 per capita homicides in the developed world (in company with places like Colombia and South Africa). Its true that statistics and terminology between Brazilian and English law are not 100% comparable; however, most observers and governments consider Brasil one of the most violent, many drawing parallels to war zone statistics.

In contrast, New York City would be .029 per 1000 people - one of the lowest in the USA, and generously about 15x safer than Brasil as a whole (around that of Finland or Portugal). Even the most violent parts of NYC are far less violent than Brasil.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Also, i think its brave for this dude just to post pics of his studio. Don't be ignorant and ask him what he spent, one can easily guesstimate.

Btw, sorry fo the OT - studio looks rockin!!
Old 6th March 2007
Gear Guru

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Where else would you put them?
In every single corner possible! heh

Including the corners where the walls meet the floor.

--Ethan
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Addict

Hey Duffter! Very nice studio.
Can you please tell me where did you get that difussors and acoustic treatment? brand.

Also can you give us a list of the gear that will be at your studio?

Thanks!!!
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
The grill on the front of the studio, that is a great idea! Gotta remember that for the future.....

Question:

I'm not much of a construction person so there's something that I'm really curious about. I noticed in the beginning pics that you knocked out some of the ceiling areas (or 2nd level's floor). Did you just 'rebuild' the concrete ceiling like that? I mean, how do you 'hook up' the new concrete ceiling to the existing concret sides? Do the 'rebar' need to be intwined or something?

The reason for asking is cuz I'm thinking of 'extending the floor' for a new studio... I'd like to extend the area where part of the stairway (concrete) is, thus making it a square.

Haven't talked to any contractors yet since I'm still in the planning stage (actually still negotiating the price of the place) so I thought I'd ask here and see....
in the states, we'd remove the roofing material, erect steel web braces horizontally from outside wall to outside wall, use corrugated metal decking, and pour concrete into the corrugated metal decking.

I would imagine that in certain countries, the building codes are more relaxed, but around here, that would be the correct way to do it.
Old 7th March 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post
Can you please tell me where did you get that difussors and acoustic treatment? brand.

Thanks!!!
We had it all built. The same company that did the acoustic doors made all of the panels too.
Old 23rd March 2007
Gear Nut
insane. amazing. w ow

i don't want to know about the costs.. it's just great to see this go down.

yes.
Old 1st April 2007
Gear Addict

Well done, and it looks wonderful!

Thanks for sharng with us. I am sure everybody appreciates the insight.
A question though;
Give us a final figure in $dollars mate.... how much was the total costs, and that includes everything, even the first roll of toilet papers bought?heh
HOW much mulla?

Cheers,
FD
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Addict

Old 20th February 2008
Gear Head

hey man very nice studio >! im trying to build one in guadalajara mexico !

i find it very inspiring your studio , and totaly agree with you on the sucuirity reason (here in mexico its very dangeruos to have that much of gear) just wondering how do you protech your studio from thiefhs?

(sorry for my english)
Old 3rd March 2008
Gear Addict

The final phase of my studios construction is finally started. The studios are located in the basement. This area includes a kitchen, a small editing room, and a large 33 meter squared recording room. This studio is basicly a project studio for bands with less money that still a good sounding product. The space is small but the equipment and acoustic treatment are professional.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-234523452.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-123412341234.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-234523452345.jpg  
Old 8th March 2008
Gear Head

Duffster,

Cool man I enjoyed looking at your pictures and all the work.

Congrats things are going well I assume?

-JRT
Old 15th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon View Post

Thanks!!!
Via an early post I found one company that makes them.

Black Box Acoustic Conditioning Systems out of England. link

I don't know if anyone in the USA is making something like this. Would love to know, if so. It's the first time I've seen it. Looks very cool, but I'm wondering how it works compared to other acoustic treatments we see discussed frequently on Gear Slutz.

Great looking place, Duf. I wish you luck. It looks like you should be successful.
Old 20th March 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, great work!
One question.
Most studios I've worked at or have visited usually have a very incognito apperance on the outside. You would never be able to tell there even there.
Why did you decide to go with the opposite?
I think it looks great, so bravo to you!
Old 20th March 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
Yeah, great work!
One question.
Most studios I've worked at or have visited usually have a very incognito apperance on the outside. You would never be able to tell there even there.
Why did you decide to go with the opposite?
I think it looks great, so bravo to you!

I wanted my building to look great. I have had no problems with people on the street.... nobody can even guess what it is usually. Most people just stop and take photos.
Old 26th March 2008
Gear Addict

We replaced the big window with galss bricks and are starting to build the walls. Cables and A/C should go in next week.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-collage1.jpg  
Old 1st April 2008
Gear Addict

Bought the cables today and a patch bay. Trying to decide what monitor control I will use. At the moment the room will have a pair of Genelec 8040, PT Mix+, SSL VHD and a 2 channel TLAudio, a chair and comfy couch. Still haven´t decided on mic or anything but I justed booked the studio for a month in May.

The link to the the last room I built.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/photo...struction.html
Old 8th May 2008
Gear Addict

The studio is all done except for the door. All the equipment arrived from the states and we are already recording a band in it for the next month. I will post photos as soon as the forum lets me... no upload options at the moment.
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Addict

Putting up the diffusors
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-image11-1.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image12-1.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image14-1.jpg  
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Addict

Putting together the desk. I will take some photos of the studio when the client leaves today... I started using it even before I tested it. Luckily the recording has gone off wqithout a sinlge problem.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-image1-2.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image9-2.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image15-2.jpg  
Old 13th May 2008
Gear Nut

Fantastic wood-works on both the acoustic stuff and the furniture, I smell a great carpenter there?

Cheers,
JFN
Old 19th May 2008
Gear Addict

The doors finally arrived today. I unfortunately forgot the door handle so it won´t be 100% until tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-image12-3.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image2-3.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image13-3.jpg  
Old 26th May 2008
Gear Addict

The room is almost done. As soon as my current client leaves I will put the finishing touches.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-image15-3.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-image16-3.jpg   My studios construction has started!!!!!-studio-3-pan.jpg  
Old 27th May 2008
Gear Addict

Currently a bit messy but in use. This is the recording room for studio 32. The room has a low ceiling but is 33 meters squared. I still need to put up two diffusers and clean up a little, but again.... after my current client leaves. They have seem to taken a small mess and made it quite larger.
Attached Thumbnails
My studios construction has started!!!!!-studio-3-sala.jpg  
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Rant mode on Nuke

Sorry for the rant but don't really understand all the posts asking for costs and money. First of all if you have a bit of knowledge you can guess estimate quite easily if we're talking about 1000/10.000/100.000/1.000.000 USD/€ or whatever currency you might like better.

It sounds to me like child play.
"Wow! You spent 1 million USD for your studio. You lucky bastard!...."
And so on...

Even if Duffster (or anyone else for the matter) spent 1 billion, who cares? Does it make him any more fortunate than all us mortal humans? Maybe he worked his butt off in some coal miner for the past 25 years to scrap up all the money needed for such a project and finally made it real. Or maybe his father is Brasil's Prime Minister. Who in hell cares?

The more I think about it, the more you look like people who watches E or other gossip TV channel just to get pissed at the fact that Angelia Jolie paid 30 millions for her mansion, or 100.000 bucks for her new bathroom.

Who f***in' cares after all? Get your ass off and buy some lotto tickets.

Rant over.

BTW, Duffster, you did a superb job. Your studio looks very nice. Hat off to you and a big thumb up for your future business.
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

love you're diffusors ... looking great

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search