The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A Start To Finish Pictorial of my New Studio in Central Mexico Dynamics Plugins
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

A Start To Finish Pictorial of my New Studio in Central Mexico

Hola, all--my name is Doug. I'm a composer/producer who also plays drums, piano, bass, guitar and a few other things.

I've always had a personal studio, ranging from a spare bedroom to a couple of converted garages, but when my wife and I moved to San Miguel de Allende and purchased 5 acres on a hill outside of town, it was an opportunity to build something from the ground up. And we did--after 14 months of construction, we are now living in our dream house, with a dream studio attached.

I laid out the room the way I like to work--with the mix station in the same room as the piano, and the drums and bass recording areas close enough so that I don't feel ridiculous running back and forth for those projects where I play everything.

In addition, I am a jazz musician so I wanted to be able to record a trio with perfect visual communication but some sonic separation--not really sonic isolation but just enough to dampen bleed to a manageable degree.

Building in Mexico brought some challenges--there is very little wood used in construction in my area, for one thing. So I was dealing with brick walls and a bit of sheetrock for the ceilings of the drum and bass booths, and stained polished concrete for the floors.

I sent my drawings to a couple of studio designers and landed with Ken Gorres in L.A. He figured out how to make my plan work with a minimum of wall treatment--I like a mildly live sound as opposed to a dead one--by figuring the angles so that the echo dissipates instead of building up. Before I added furniture and wall treatments, the natural sound of the room was spectacular, live but uncluttered. Too live for my purposes, but I felt good that underneath it all, the basic sound of the room was wonderful. I'm still doing a few things to the bass and drum booths to tighten them up, but overall I am super happy.

So here is a pictorial tour, from start to finish. I hope you dig it.

The basic floor plan:

A 3D model that Ken built:

The construction begins! The house is to the right, the studio to the left:

A sort of overview--those are the drum and bass booths to the right, and the live room/mixing area is to the left:

The walls start going up--these are the two booths again:

Troughs for mic cables going from the mixing area to the two booths:

Standing in what is basically the mixing area:

Getting very near the end--the house on the right, and the studio on the left:

The Tejamanil ceiling offers a lot of variation and irregularity:

Three colors of acid-staining on the polished concrete floors:

Next post will have the finished photos!
Old 12th November 2009
Here for the gear

This looks fantastic. can't wait to see the finished pictures
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Maniac

These shots were taken last week at our open house.

The view looking into the studio from the landing:

Looking across the live room into the drum booth from the West:

The keyboard/mix area (note the GIK bass traps--thanks, Frank!):

The drum booth, with double paneled sliding doors that were built by a terrible company but thankfully work great. They reduce the sound enough so that it isn't a bother to me when tracking:

The bass booth (note the 1956 RCA broadcast ribbon mic in the background--we have two of them, and they sound lovely on the piano):

Finally, my wife made a wall display of some of my projects:

In the end, building was a total gas. Ken did a great job with the design. The architect/GC here in Mexico was spectacular and making the vision a reality. Everything here is custom made, and the process is very flexible so if we decided that a wall needed to be moved it was a simple matter of knocking dow the old one and putting up a new one--in other words, no resubmitting of plans to bureaucrats.

I could have spent 5 times as much trying to soundproof the studio but in truth--it's in the middle of 5 protected acres with no neighbors within 1/8 of a mile. No roads save our own, no flight plans above us. I usually have the (small) windows open for ventilation. Occasionally, I might hear a sheep or a burro in the distance. It is highly unlikely that that would be the biggest problem on a take.

And yes, I am the luckiest man on the planet. We love living here--lots of good musicians, artists, writers, restauranteurs.
Old 12th November 2009
I can see you were successful in getting somebody to lend you a hand:

Usually when others lend me their hands they want them back at the end of the day. Lucky you!
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Loving the piano in the control! Might have to do that myself down the line.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Lend me a hand, and you draw back a stump! But at least now, I can lend someone a hand myself and not risk my own.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Addict

What a beautiful place!

Congratulations.
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

it looks amazing, great environment, congrats!!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Thanks, all--as a piano player/arranger type, being able to swivel around and grab my main instrument (wait, that sounds dirty!) is more than just a luxury. Plus the room has a wonderful vibe for late night playing in low light--those colors on the floor start looking like a subterranean grotto.

Tonio--so you're in DF? Su ingles as mas mejor que mi Español. Mi Español as mkor que antes, pero todavia sucks.

I went to check out your new place--lovely, super pro vibe to it. Do you know any of the players in San Miguel de Allende, like Ken Basman or Victor Monterrubio?
Old 13th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooo View Post
Thanks, all--as a piano player/arranger type, being able to swivel around and grab my main instrument (wait, that sounds dirty!) is more than just a luxury. Plus the room has a wonderful vibe for late night playing in low light--those colors on the floor start looking like a subterranean grotto.

Tonio--so you're in DF? Su ingles as mas mejor que mi Español. Mi Español as mkor que antes, pero todavia sucks.

I went to check out your new place--lovely, super pro vibe to it. Do you know any of the players in San Miguel de Allende, like Ken Basman or Victor Monterrubio?
thank u very much Sr.

No I'm afraid I don't know anyone at San Miguel, actually I've been there just once like years ago, I didn't know there are nice studios and such great musicians there, it's amazing, I'm glad to hear that

I'm a guitar player myself, I've been around for a while and done quite a few things here in the mainstream but mostly rock, I like jazz but in my hands always end up sounding like rock here is myspace.com/tonioruiz you'll see my point

I'll visit your studio if I get to go to San Miguel, I mean, if you don't mind

Hugs from DF
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Tonio, I'd be hurt if you ever visited San Miguel and DIDN'T contact me! And at some point, my wife and I will be heading to Mexico City for museums and so on, and I hope it will be ok to give you a call and swing by to see your operation too.

Quite a few good players here in SMA, all genres though rock seems to be the weakest. Ok, que tenga un buen día, compadre.

Doug (jazzooo @ aol.com)
Old 16th November 2009
Gear Head

what a jackass im i for not going to your studio , i visted san miguel a few months back !

looks great !thumbsup
Old 16th November 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzooo View Post
Tonio, I'd be hurt if you ever visited San Miguel and DIDN'T contact me! And at some point, my wife and I will be heading to Mexico City for museums and so on, and I hope it will be ok to give you a call and swing by to see your operation too.

Quite a few good players here in SMA, all genres though rock seems to be the weakest. Ok, que tenga un buen día, compadre.

Doug (jazzooo @ aol.com)
you're on Mr... best of luck with all your projects

cheers!!!
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Maniac

Lol, Limelight! Next time, ok?

Doug
Old 17th November 2009
Gear Head

hahah limelight!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search