The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden
Old 11th November 2009
Smile The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden

The Harp rehearsal studios.

Today 20091111 i signed the dotted line, so from the 1 of January 2010, i´m free to build!

The plan is to build rehearsal rooms and a studio of my own, just the way i like it, one big room, lots of natural light, second floor!

The plot is right behind me in an light industrial area next to a river.

This project might take some time, but i´ll post any progress i make.
Tomorrow i´m of to a first meeting with an architect.

Cheers
/Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-tobias_harpan_20091111.jpg  
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Addict

Congrats on the first step in your journey.

My friend and I built four large rehearsal rooms and are now on to the control room and lounge/extra iso room. Next will be the main large tracking room and two iso rooms.
It's a long process, but fun and rewarding.
Old 11th November 2009
Gear Nut

In Kungsbacka? Hey, I was just in Göteborg last year. Are you using this space for harps?
Old 15th November 2009
Lives for gear

You got awesome sushi in kungsbacka...
Old 30th November 2009
Cool First sketch! (c)Strandell Arkitektkontor

Thanks, some progress, slow but steady /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-harp_-c-strandell-arkitektkontor.jpg  
Old 30th November 2009
Lives for gear

Interesting build for sure - looking forward to seeing more pictures... And maybe visit in the future when I come to kungsbacka for more sushi.

My sister lives in/on Särö...
Old 4th January 2010
Arrow Next step

Welcome anytime greatgreatriver!

Got a sign up, first drawings, right now waiting for a builder´s quote. Got some pre-ads out and the phone rings a lot! space is not easy to come by here. I´ll keep posting/ Cheers! /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-harpanskylt4.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A1.PDF (1.02 MB, 483 views)
Old 4th January 2010
Aerial Shot

Google earth is quite fun!
Old 6th January 2010
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot bro!
Old 17th February 2010
Cool Some Progress !

Business plan finished, talking to banks, wating for the verdisct.
Some more meetings with potential builders.
Can´t wait to get down to it! /Toby
Old 18th March 2010
Smile Thnigs take time but a bit progress!

Waiting for more building quotes and applying for the building permit.

New building pic attached.

The good thing is that a lot more people are calling and wanting to rent rooms than i can not afford to build right now. A bit sad, but hey, that´s mean i´m on to something that will work!
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-harpan2_-c-strandellarkitektkontor.jpg  

Last edited by mattssons; 19th March 2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: New Pic
Old 28th April 2010
Bought some more land

Building permit and meeting with builders, really hard to get anyone to actually come down with a price on paper. could be all to expensive according to the current plans. Might be time to rethink and try again!

/Toby
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nybyggnadskarta.PDF (184.2 KB, 630 views)
Old 28th April 2010
Gear Addict

mattssons

Keep at it. You will find the right balence of cost and function. I work with bids from contractors everyday and its complex but prioritize and define the wants vs the needs.

I wish you the best of luck and can't wait to see your facility come together.

Old 14th June 2010
New plan and 2 days to building permit!

Slow and steady!

The buildings been redrawn to cost a bit less. Elevator added.
More talks with builders and banks. Planning to at least get the land work done this summer. /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-harpan.jpg  
Old 14th June 2010
Lives for gear
What are the dimensions of the new plan? Looks cool!
Old 14th June 2010
New Plan!

Well, the dimensions are still the same, every rehearsal room is 6m (L) times 5m(W) times 4m(H) and i´m keeping 2 connected for my own studio 10m(L) 6m(W) 4m(H).

The construction is different, a change from prefabricated concrete til more normal stud, gypsym with fiber concrete exterior walls.

An elevator is added to help out with loading gear, second floor and a disability axcess (A must to get a building permit here.)

All share a lounge 60m2 with kitchen and toilets and above these i plan to build an echo chamber as the 4 m height will allow this!

Toby
Old 15th June 2010
Lives for gear

Reading through the thread shows the typical problems of buildings as an investment - cost.

To cut down cost you come up with a different building method (which is ok) and you gave up most of the bits which could be described as "architectural" items (well, I'm trained as an architect and run an engineering office for cladding technology, so I dont like that, but understand it).

In this respect I dont understand the floor height of 4m. Dont get me wrong, I love high rooms, the acoustics will be better, you've got room for acoustic treatment and sound proofing etc., but you pay for the building volume.
Old 15th June 2010
Smile Redrawn buildning

Well guitarwolle

You are absolutely right, it´s expensive to build with 4m height to get volume, but that´s where i drawn the line about cost cutting. If i can´t get this version up, i will get other investors involved in the project. A small room can in my book newer sound as good as a bigger room.

I can put in bigger windows, change decors etc if i get the funds but rise a building is harder!

It´s all a bunch of compromises, the "lighter" construction is mainly due to this plot is next to a river and has some 80 meters pure clay in the ground.

More than exterior material is mostly taking away windows and reducing the size of some.

It´s all down to walking the fine line between dreams and realistic achievable goals. The rent possible to get sets the construction costs availble to spend.

Thanks for your input! /Toby
Old 9th July 2010
Here for the gear

Congrats Toby! Very Exciting. I'm in the very early stages of planning to construct a rehearsal studio in Canada and I'm curious if you'd mind sharing the cost of materials per room. I'm trying to set some financial goals for myself and having a rough idea of costs would help me out. Thanks for your time and the best of luck with your journey!!
Old 9th July 2010
Post Hi Mikey P!

Well thans for your interest.

In this building each room (30kvm) will be about 65000 USD (We build 12) but here we pay 25% v.a.t and as we plan to have the rooms with 4 meter internal hights, lots of isolation and need to construct a pillar bed (Because the plot is clay grounds next to a river.) + the exterior are planned to be through colored fiber cement boards (To reduce paint work and care in the future.) that adds up quite a bit.

It was hard for me to get some kind of estimate of costs as the usual answer from builders was "it depends" an they need a finished plan to be able to give a quote.

My advice would be to count backwards, what can i get in rents for x meters and then have a meeting with a builder and ask what you could get build for that. We plan to reduce costs a bit by doing paint work and some internal stuff ourself. / Toby
Old 9th January 2011
Sloow but steady progress!

Added more land to plot.

Building permit received!

Redrawn a lighter building to cut cost of the foundation and make it easier to rebuild/develop the building in the future. Less windows + some other design issues.

Just finished setting up a new company, more people on board.

Quite interestingly i follow my first plan i found the other day, written in 2008 with an estimate at 2011 as building year! It´s the usual, double the time and cost of any big project

I want it up now, so i can move on to the fun part of designing my "one room"

Laters /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-plot_pic.jpg  
Old 10th January 2011
Lives for gear

Wow ! Great news ! Let's go now !!!
Old 10th January 2011
Gear Nut

This is really nice, since I live in Trollhättan, which is pretty close to Kungsbacka :D
Old 15th July 2011
Wink The Harp rehearsal studios

Short update on the progress, things take more time than expected, but slow and steady progress!

New partner, splitted the plot in 2 in order to borrow on the unbuild one.

Ordered an Geological survey to get a better knowings of the clay ground so close as this plot is to a river. Should be finished at the end of August.

Will give a better estimate of how much the foundation will cost.

Some more pics
Welcome to Facebook

/Toby
Old 8th November 2012
Things are finally happening

It sure took a bit longer than expected!, for some reason the banks don´t applause Dj´s who want´s to build a recording studio and a few rehearsal rooms.

Got another partner involved and today we ordered the built but there´s still some council issues and permits before we´re digging actual dirt. Hope i have a working key some fine day in 2013! /Toby
Old 29th December 2012
Smile Build started!

The road to our plot just been built, in the following weeks the foundation work will start.

Finish date set to June 2013! So finally some action around here /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-28060_452944654752861_996690969_n.jpg  
Old 25th February 2013
Construction time!

Hi, concrete pooring for first floor this week, as soon as gypsum times arrive i will look into getting some industrial Viscoelastical glue for every layer. Lot´s of work left for interiors and acoustic´s but time will tell how it will turn out!/ Greetings all!/Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-20130224-2.jpg  
Old 25th February 2013
Lives for gear
Now it looks huge!!!
Old 26th March 2013
Smile Roof & exterior walls!

Roof going on this week and outer walls, still a lot of interior walls to finish but all windows are now in place. /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-581354_493836383997021_1038027164_n.jpg  
Old 17th April 2013
Smile Outer Shell

Hi

Just about 2 months left until finished. This week it´s time for internal isolation, gypsum, layer after layer. I know understand everyone that´s been telling me to build bigger, it´s just as hard building small, same issues /Toby
Attached Thumbnails
The Harp rehearsal studios /Kungsbacka /Sweden-201304136.jpg  
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear