The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The Bridge Recording Studio Build
Old 18th January 2018
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Nothing to do with the CA government. Projects go overseas (or out of state) because of Musician Union continual payouts. Producers won't sign for that. It's up to the MU to make changes to compete with the global market. I'd assume Netflix's negotiated rate/contract with the MU would bring more work to the scoring community in LA.

However, I don't have any idea (or wish to speculate) if MU issues has anything to do with the Bridge being for sale. As far as I know (and I know) the Bridge and Warner Bros were the two first calls for a lot of TV show scoring (episodic) that had built-in budgets for actual musicians (ABC's contract with the MU and other productions who had them negotiated.) And that ends up being guaranteed dates since we're on a schedule. Plus the Bridge has been especially helpful finding small time slots for grabbing a part or two (piano, for instance) in a crunch. It'd be a big loss to lose it for the LA scoring community.
Musicians’ Union Backs Legislation to Return Scoring Jobs to L.A.

Musicians’ Union Backs Legislation to Bring Scoring Jobs Back to L.A. – Variety
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by REGIE View Post
Musicians’ Union Backs Legislation to Return Scoring Jobs to L.A.

Musicians’ Union Backs Legislation to Bring Scoring Jobs Back to L.A. – Variety
This will get OT real quick. Bills are often proposed that have nothing to do with the root cause of the issue. It’s a bunch of marketing (for the Union and the legislative bill.) If you work in LA as a union musician (or anywhere in CA) or with producers trying to get them to move projects (games, tv, film) to CA scoring/recording, none of what I’m stating is new or unknown. If you don’t, then this is irrelevant to you. Exiting this conversation topic now.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
This will get OT real quick. Bills are often proposed that have nothing to do with the root cause of the issue. It’s a bunch of marketing (for the Union and the legislative bill.) If you work in LA as a union musician (or anywhere in CA) or with producers trying to get them to move projects (games, tv, film) to CA scoring/recording, none of what I’m stating is new or unknown. If you don’t, then this is irrelevant to you. Exiting this conversation topic now.
Indeed. The musicians union is the problem. The Beginning and End of the problem. Old cronies trying to protect special payments, benefits and astronomically high wages - while the younger guys suffer because all but the premium jobs (which all go to the first call guys) has left the building. 1950's union mentality. But it's a new millennium.

It literally started in 1980 when Local47 went on strike against Film/TV producers. After a year long strike with not even a budge from producers, the Local 47 "leadership" negotiated a settlement......for a wage less than what we had before we went on strike. And the union leadership are hoping we've forgotten. But I haven't. Nothing has changed since that day, and in fact, it's gotten far worse.

There was "hope" to bring the work back to LA that the strike had pushed out of the country, but the mold had been cast. Producers found that going to Canada and the EU was way more profitable than staying at home with incentives, lower wages and no "special" payments. That snafu affected EVERY musician and most studios in LA whether or not they worked on film/TV. The trickle down affect between all kinds of sessions has virtually killed the union in the last 35 years because they refuse to live in reality. 2017 compared to 1980? What a joke. Those were the days.... I was just a kid and I still had more work than I could accommodate. 2017? Career guys leaving the biz faster than you can shake a stick at.

I'm sure this affected the Bridge's sessions. How could it not. Still...I hope that Greg and the team do well for themselves, and hopefully they don't turn the studio into apartments or a strip mall...... Best of luck Greg! Amazing journey!!!
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Check out this Matterport 3D-Immersive experience of the studio:

The Bridge Recording Studio in Glendale, CA - Matterport 3D Showcase
Old 27th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Curtis View Post

Wow, that's beautiful. Is Milton still hanging around there?
He was mixing for me back when you guys were wiring the place up. I sadly never took him up on an offer for a tour of the space.
Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.c. View Post
Wow, that's beautiful. Is Milton still hanging around there?
He was mixing for me back when you guys were wiring the place up. I sadly never took him up on an offer for a tour of the space.
Yes! Milton is THE MAN! And he is still here, thank god! Huge asset to the studio, and to the community.

Send me an email at [email protected], and I'll show you around sometime.

Greg

Old 28th February 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
Indeed. The musicians union is the problem. The Beginning and End of the problem. Old cronies trying to protect special payments, benefits and astronomically high wages - while the younger guys suffer because all but the premium jobs (which all go to the first call guys) has left the building. 1950's union mentality. But it's a new millennium.

It literally started in 1980 when Local47 went on strike against Film/TV producers. After a year long strike with not even a budge from producers, the Local 47 "leadership" negotiated a settlement......for a wage less than what we had before we went on strike. And the union leadership are hoping we've forgotten. But I haven't. Nothing has changed since that day, and in fact, it's gotten far worse.

There was "hope" to bring the work back to LA that the strike had pushed out of the country, but the mold had been cast. Producers found that going to Canada and the EU was way more profitable than staying at home with incentives, lower wages and no "special" payments. That snafu affected EVERY musician and most studios in LA whether or not they worked on film/TV. The trickle down affect between all kinds of sessions has virtually killed the union in the last 35 years because they refuse to live in reality. 2017 compared to 1980? What a joke. Those were the days.... I was just a kid and I still had more work than I could accommodate. 2017? Career guys leaving the biz faster than you can shake a stick at.

I'm sure this affected the Bridge's sessions. How could it not. Still...I hope that Greg and the team do well for themselves, and hopefully they don't turn the studio into apartments or a strip mall...... Best of luck Greg! Amazing journey!!!

Oh yeah. "The union thing" is sort of large, ugly blob sitting in the corner. But we've found that it's best to ignore it, and move on.

Last year was our best ever. Booking up over 20%. Revenues way up. Profitable single room studio is not an easy thing to do, but we've done it. Can't say I'm not proud of that achievement.

One last thing about this topic: Most of our clients have moved on as well, and are simply getting on with it and recording here.
Old 28th February 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Oh yeah. "The union thing" is sort of large, ugly blob sitting in the corner. But we've found that it's best to ignore it, and move on.

Last year was our best ever. Booking up over 20%. Revenues way up. Profitable single room studio is not an easy thing to do, but we've done it. Can't say I'm not proud of that achievement.

One last thing about this topic: Most of our clients have moved on as well, and are simply getting on with it and recording here.
Nice Greg!!! Glad to hear it. Up 20% in todays studio economy is no small feat!! Kudos!

Bill
Old 4th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:

Super cool. I briefly found myself wondering: "is that third bathroom stall an actual stall, or just a 'bathroom reverb' chamber" ... only on GearSlutz, right?!
Old 8th March 2018
Lives for gear

Hi Greg, I listened to your interview on Bobby O's podcast yesterday, it was very interesting!

It raised one question for me, though: knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently? If- indeed- anything at all.
Old 26th March 2018
Lives for gear

Wow
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Just heard that this is the end of the studio, and it will be closing in two weeks. Hope it's not true, but seems to be. Sad. I was actually going to book a session there in the near future.
Old 13th August 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Just heard that this is the end of the studio, and it will be closing in two weeks. Hope it's not true, but seems to be. Sad. I was actually going to book a session there in the near future.
Oh no, hope that's not the case - this was one of the most spectacular builds on gs in the last 10 years... Hope Greg and co. are ok.
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

No idea on the story, but the building was in fact for sale.... Not sure how the Bridge closing is connected to that. I've been hearing that it was about to close as well.

--Ben
Old 13th August 2018
Lives for gear

Just called. It is true - they will be closing by the end of the month.
Old 14th August 2018
Lives for gear

Listing is here: 736 Salem St, Glendale, CA, 91203 - Warehouse Property For Sale on LoopNet.com

I have been building a lot of smaller writing/production studios with bigger budgets for soundproofing and minimal interior acoustic work in the last few years. I think this is the way the industry is going. Few commercial world class studios and lots of production rooms. The money is in publishing. Sad to see it go.
Old 23rd August 2018
- double post -
Old 23rd August 2018
So sad. What an amazing ride though, such great accomplishments by Greg and his team. I wish them well in whatever direction they go next.

The Parlor, another great build from this site just had the same fate.

:(
Old 25th October 2018
Gear Head
How it was done in early 60's major classical recordings Wagner.Press YouTube.

YouTube

Last edited by REGIE; 25th October 2018 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: To small

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search