The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread Modular Synthesizers
Old 2nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Just a quick update:

A few details still need to be finished off............i need to get some pro photos made, then get a new website online, hopefully by the end of the month.

2008 was crazy.........i'm feeling pretty worn out.......looking to get back to normal flow in 2009.

Happy new year and thanks for looking!.............D
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Amazing room Darius, it's the best I have seen come up in here .. the metal plates are so freaking amazing, .... still want some shots off slutty gear ...

enjoy ...
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
.... still want some shots off slutty gear ...
Me too!

btw best wishes, Wim... and Darius!
Old 7th January 2009
Here for the gear

hey Darius

heres to a perfectly "TUNED", ACCURATE & productive 2009!!

bet it must be gratifying to know that everythings finally come together perfectly!!

the studio looking amazing from what i can see .. climbing wall is the f#$%*@g icing on the cake!!!

hope youll allow me a visit when im there next
Cheerio

t

p.s. love the design of those diffusers!!

Last edited by TyroneF; 7th January 2009 at 07:47 PM.. Reason: oops!
Old 14th January 2009
Fantastic, D - Friends in Amsterdam... If I ever make it out that way, I'll bring coffee.
Old 14th January 2009
Lives for gear

You need to hurry up on those pictures!
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red View Post
You need to hurry up on those pictures!
+1
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Head

Hi guys. Great job. I wanted to ask you why you chose to cut sylomere in stripes instead of cubes. As far as i know shape plays an important role in what is called "shape factor". More over could you share some infos about the deflection ?
Thank you in advance.

John
Old 16th January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix View Post
Hi guys. Great job. I wanted to ask you why you chose to cut sylomere in stripes instead of cubes.
Thanks!

Here we are playing with seriously heavy loads from the studio on one hand (dozens of tons) and clear maximum load bearing capacities from the building on the other. I.e: we had to spread the weight accordingly... On stripes.

The amount (thickness, width, distance/separation) and type of sylomer stripes were all calculated to achieve optimum surface and maximum efficiency. And de facto so were the bench dimensions and steel decks.

Cubes would've been very unstable (serious side deflection problems) and just a pain to work with among other things . I've only seen cube type elastomers (actually, pbly another polymer, not sylomer since AFAIK it doesn't come in cubes but only stripes up to 1,5m) used under light wood based floated floors (not so efficient). So all in all, no way under such loads and constraints.

Quote:
As far as I know shape plays an important role in what is called "shape factor".
See above. Though "shape factor" is more important in small decoupling devices under heavy mechanical dynamic loads. Here we have lots of static load and tiny bit of dynamic load.

No use for cubes, really. We need rather large surfaces and to work with "full surface contact" materials.

Quote:
More over could you share some infos about the deflection ?
Thank you in advance.

John
For that studio in particular?

Well... load is ca. 85%. Deflection is around 3.1mm. But that won't help/tell much about anything really.

Here is a typical Sylomer data sheet from another project if it can be of help:
Attached Thumbnails
Amsterdam Mastering - construction thread-sylomer-gs.jpg  
Old 16th January 2009
Gear Head

Thank you very much Thomas. Great help. I had to check calculations about my concrete floor and i am very happy that you helped me to do it.

John
Old 16th January 2009

Quote:
Thank you very much Thomas. Great help. I had to check calculations about my concrete floor and i am very happy that you helped me to do it.

John
No problem John.

Just make sure you don't overload the Sylomer (or equivalent) as this would be bad news. 89-90% is a limit I never go over - so you need to calculate your daN loads pretty accurately.

Good luck in your endeavour!
Old 19th January 2009
Gear Maniac

well I'm glad we got that sorted out!
Whoosh! (sounds of info flying way over my head)

Let it never be said the finer details of studio construction aren't discussed on this board.

LOL
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius van H View Post

Someone can explain to me the function of those woods in the roof, it's strange, they're a trap?
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

Those woods are diffusors. They difuse the reflections of the sound.
Most of the time they are used to reduce echos on parallel surfaces.
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by inayat View Post
Those woods are diffusors. They difuse the reflections of the sound.
Most of the time they are used to reduce echos on parallel surfaces.
Thanks a lot Inayat, do you know the wood type?
Old 24th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo46 View Post
Thanks a lot Inayat, do you know the wood type?
Almost any reflective material can do, even glass or plastic. The pattern is very important. This can help you: Acoustic Treatment and Design for Recording Studios and Listening Rooms

If you have further questions, I would recommend to use: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studi...ing-acoustics/
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Nope, i didn't go bankrupt yet!

Just waiting to finish off the last odds and ends........will have new pictures in a couple of days.
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

Cool, when shall I bring the champagne??
Old 30th January 2009

Quote:
Almost any reflective material can do, even glass or plastic.
That's actually wrong.

The type of material used is very important. Forget plastic and polystyrene, avoid some type of glass. Not every type of wood is suitable either. Density is important, thickness, etc...

AFAIC, plastic is a BIG no/no.

Diffusion tends to be oversimplified a lot lately it seems.

Quote:
The pattern is very important.
Yes, and there is more than one way to calculate it depending on what you are looking for.
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Actually the "nicest" way to predict diffusion is a pain in the ass to be honest. It involves highly complicated BEM models to get the diffusion coefficientes if not tested in a lab and then a computational model that uses this scattering or diffusion coefficients. I have only done this last part in a tracking room.

For small spaces such as this one (small compared to a concert hall) statistical approached can be used which is what I presume Thomas has used

Very cool place, congratulations for your work !
Old 31st January 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrebrito View Post
Actually the "nicest" way to predict diffusion is a pain in the ass to be honest. It involves highly complicated BEM models to get the diffusion coefficientes if not tested in a lab and then a computational model that uses this scattering or diffusion coefficients. I have only done this last part in a tracking room.

For small spaces such as this one (small compared to a concert hall) statistical approached can be used which is what I presume Thomas has used

Very cool place, congratulations for your work !
Thanks Andre!

Yes, we used models of the distributed diffusion / Statistical estimations.

We are delivering the last diffusors (simple polys, to get RT a bit higher) and bits and pieces of finishing by end of next week. Then we are done with this nice project...
Old 31st January 2009
Lives for gear

Was the fact that the diffusers are "built into the ceiling" (and therefor the wells are effectivly deeper) taken into consideration during planing or does it not matter?
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Head

that is made me crazy.........
Old 2nd February 2009
Gear Head

Wow, what an incredible room!!!!

We had our previous CD (excused) mastered by you at the wisseloord studio's, just for the sake of watching and listening to this room I have to urge the band to start recording a new CD and pop by for an incredible master!

Good luck, fantastic to read that great things like these are happening a few km's away as well!!

Bastiaan
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

@Bastiaan: thanks!

The guys from Brussels are coming back today to fit the side diffusers and finish off some detailing. But this was the state of play this morning.

Old 6th February 2009
Gear Addict

Wonderful!
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

Darius, that will sound quit different then the "old" place .. now you have some "real" space to work in ... hope the transition/adaption goes easy ... I found it pretty hard to settle in, but then again I swapped all speakers/room/equipment/console ... these days I can cut corners quit nicely and sharp.
enjoy.

I see you moved the B&W closer to the wall .. easy job heh
curious about the sound ...

a PMCD for free if you reach the top off the climbing wall ....
Old 6th February 2009
Lives for gear

UHHHH What a nice Room!
But, I was suprised, how close the speakers are to the wall. Any explanation?

Darius, I wish you so much luck for the future!!! One of the best threats ever!!
Old 7th February 2009
Lives for gear

I had a visit from my brother-in-law (who's a rather nifty photographer) this evening. These are some shots we did as a sort of test for when the real photos are taken in about a week.....i'll still have to tidy up some cabling and stuff, but after seeing these i think i'll be able to get some good shots for the website. You can also see the new diffusers in place. And there's a photo of me as i think it's nice to put a face to a name!

Old 7th February 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaques Beraques View Post
But, I was suprised, how close the speakers are to the wall. Any explanation?
It's part of the design

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search